Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

We are nothing but a stepping stone club

sadly, we arent even that any longer by the looks of it.

We're the very definition of a selling club!

So I guess after all these years of "At least we're not Leeds" we are in fact now Leeds!

How ironic that under Ellis at least we weren't Leeds is actually a positive!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will not be the last. I suspect we will see others leave this summer as our squad takes on a completely different look to match our ambitions. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bent leave in January either at this rate

Do you think its avoidable Richard??

I mean, we both cottoned on that Randy wasnt Rich enough some time ago, but I dont think that should hinder ambitions (what you set out to achieve)!!

I dont for one minute think they are not aiming for top 4!! Weve tried one way (to an extent), and it would have killed us in the end.

Now were trying a harder way. The chances are unlikely but its not impossible.

While top 4 shouldnt be our main goal, Id hate to think it was our top goal. That should surely be to win the league etc. Again, highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Now, of course goals should be realistic and thats why our main goal this season should be a top 7 finish and a good cup run. Now Stewart Downing, would be handy in that but hes not essential. However, what is essential is a stable club and I see signs that that is what RL has set out to achieve over the last 2 years or so.

So, I suppose the question is, if we don't sell Stewart Downing (and get the money we might need to help stabalise the club (we dont know of course)), do we hinder our realistic goals??

I dont think Lerner should be criticised for not being ambitions. If anything, he was maybe too ambitious - and that while a mistake in itself - is far from a crime.

(the examples in this post Richard, are not aimed solely at you btw)

I still think AM has all the Young money available plus almost 30m and any other sales. Villa are more than happy with this 'we have no money story' means prices are much much lower than if we say 'Alex can spend whatever to improve the squad' which is the mistake made under MON. And as for Downing, for 20m he can **** off. He aint that good!

no point having money if you dont know how to spend it properly.

We are nothing but a stepping stone club

sadly, we arent even that any longer by the looks of it.

We're the very definition of a selling club!

So I guess after all these years of "At least we're not Leeds" we are in fact now Leeds!

How ironic that under Ellis at least we weren't Leeds is actually a positive!

Can you explain for me how we are Leeds?

Story is poorly written by Nursery saying we used Young money to pay for Bent deal lol!

When is any story written by that rocket polisher Nursey ever be well written? The bloke just loves putting the boot into Villa.

75% at least of what he publishes is just idle speculation or is so obvious its not a story. If he get it right the next story mentions his previous story which then puts in bold you cant't miss it. Tosser.

As for Downing its not clear what he wants save for the fact he has some greedy agent stirring its up. If Liverpool want him meet our valuation, its that simple.

Whether Downing requests a transfer is irrelevant as they still have to meet our valuation. But as Downing well knows if he asks for a transfer he loses all his bonuses.

All facts Nursey could have mentioned.

I think its quite plausible we used the Young money to buy Bent. It was a done deal in Jan as MM said - and Fergie himself said a deal is in place.

And as for Downing, for 20m he can **** off. He aint that good!

One good season, and that's good, not very good, not brilliant and way way from exceptional. His goals this season have taken away from the fact that he is a pretty average player, good at best. He can't take a man on and always shys from any tackle and his passing isn't anything amazing. Decent crosser of the ball and gets a few goals but surely a better foreign replacement can be found for less than £20m. We will miss Ashley Young far more than any of the players who have left us and 1 million times more than we would Downing. We payed an over the odds £12m for him when he had pins in his leg and had to sit and watch him play below average for most of his first season then he has one good season and wants out. Champions league quality? You're having a laugh!

He will not be the last. I suspect we will see others leave this summer as our squad takes on a completely different look to match our ambitions. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bent leave in January either at this rate

I mean, we both cottoned on that Randy wasnt Rich enough some time ago, but I dont think that should hinder ambitions (what you set out to achieve)!!

I dont for one minute think they are not aiming for top 4!! Weve tried one way (to an extent), and it would have killed us in the end.

While top 4 shouldnt be our main goal, Id hate to think it was our top goal. That should surely be to win the league etc. Again, highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Now, of course goals should be realistic and thats why our main goal this season should be a top 7 finish and a good cup run. Now Stewart Downing, would be handy in that but hes not essential. However, what is essential is a stable club and I see signs that that is what RL has set out to achieve over the last 2 years or so.

So, I suppose the question is, if we don't sell Stewart Downing (and get the money we might need to help stabalise the club (we dont know of course)), do we hinder our realistic goals??

I dont think Lerner should be criticised for not being ambitions. If anything, he was maybe too ambitious - and that while a mistake in itself - is far from a crime.

we tried by having MON sign mostly average players on very high wages hoping they would all raise their game 2 levels from what they had previously achieved.

the costs were too expensive so it was stopped although it had reasonable success

now we are trying the peter taylor method at leicester which got them relegated

why cant we try getting a top manager who supliments the youth with top signings and stops buying shit to average players and a manager with shit tactics?

it isnt rocket science however it seems to have aluded this club

What a disastrous start to this transfer window for villa, our best two wingers quite possibly gone, we are left with Marc albrighton as the only winger in the squad with true flair, if downing hands in his transfer request to force his move to the reds than we must find a left winger, young, eager and ready for a new season!!

Scott Sinclair raid I think!!

we tried by having MON sign mostly average players on very high wages hoping they would all raise their game 2 levels from what they had previously achieved.

the costs were too expensive so it was stopped although it had reasonable success

now we are trying the peter taylor method at leicester which got them relegated

why cant we try getting a top manager who supliments the youth with top signings and stops buying shit to average players and a manager with shit tactics?

The 'peter Taylor' method? Pathetic. Be a. Little more negative why don't you! When average over-paid players a re blocking young players we moan, when players are being moved on to re-fresh the squad, players who want out, we moan. The MON system didn't work, and almost financially crippled the club!

Because we havent got the money!!!

We are not this BIG club everyone thinks we are. When you look at the managers who actually wanted the job, who were actually top managers??

£16M+ bid and I'd accept. That's good money, I don't think Downing is irreplaceable.

A £4m profit? That isn't good money especially without him making a transfer request.

So if he isn't irreplaceable who should we replace him with?

I think its quite plausible we used the Young money to buy Bent. It was a done deal in Jan as MM said - and Fergie himself said a deal is in place.

its more likely we used the milner, davies and gardner money though

we've seen nothing to suggest that though

all signs point to us having plenty

theres **** all you can do to stop players who want to leave from going though, it happens at every club in the world. all you can do is make sure you get as close to the terms you wanted for them

we've seen nothing to suggest that though

all signs point to us having plenty

theres **** all you can do to stop players who want to leave from going though, it happens at every club in the world. all you can do is make sure you get as close to the terms you wanted for them

That was in context to hiring a top manager.

If he doesn't want to be here then fine **** him off. I am starting to feel a bit of what's the point. I'm excited that we have bent but he'll leave if a bigger team shows interest and if we sign anyone decent this summer it will only be a matter of time if they perform to a high level.

For all the stick MoN gets he moved Barry in the middle who then was wanted by the big clubs and signed Milner, young and downing who have gone the same way.

£16M+ bid and I'd accept. That's good money, I don't think Downing is irreplaceable.

A £4m profit? That isn't good money especially without him making a transfer request.

So if he isn't irreplaceable who should we replace him with?

N'Zogbia is the name that immediately springs to mind. I'm sure there are players on the continent who are better.

I just cant understand how Downing is only worth 16m?! We paid 12 when he was crippled, nurse him bk to health, get him back into England team and his value only goes up by 4m??

That is a joke. Its usual villa though - pay over the odds for players and sell them for peanuts. Ill be disgusted if he goes for anything less than 20m after seeing some of the other fees liverpool have been paying lately.

Â