Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

The only ones I'd be concerned about keeping happy are Bent and possibly Albrighton, neither of them will go yet. If we bring in good replacements and the season goes well, everyone is a winner.

The only player loyal to this club I see is Gabby and Albrighton (but let's say a £25 mil deal is strook at £130,000 weekly, they're not going to turn it down. Especially Albrighton).

Bent could very well be off if Downing leaves next year which I suspect he will.

Yes...all that is true. But my point was that I'd take the money for Downing, it can be re invested to actually improve us. I don't think Downing going will have any direct negative effects if the money is spent well before the start of the season.

Yeah, true but we'd have to put faith into the club to reinvest it wisely each and everytime in order to keep the pecking order as it is.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right, 2 years left and of good standing I'd say. Got to be at least 25?

I'd agree with that, yeah. But for the other non-financial reasons I've stated above, I'd still tell them to piss off and wait.

I agree with what BOF said earlier. It would be difficult, even if a bid came in on say 20m for the new manager to sell, unless he had a ready replacement that was of equal ability.

There is the possibility that Downing could improve again though. To my mind there is improvement in him. I want to see more shots (yes on target please Stewart) No more hospital balls putting others in the shit and more telling crosses. His confidence seemed to grow as the season went on to the point of thinking he could go to Le Arse. I think he could thrive even more this season with an inspirational manager.

I think sooner or later he will join Liverpool but only if the deal suits AVFC.

I think that's true, as long as it's later.

To be honest, I wonder if letting Downing go now may be the best thing. This is almost certainly the moment we will be able to get the highest price for him, having just completed his best season and still only being halfway through his current contract. Liverpool, as evidenced by their spending £20m on Henderson are clearly in a position to spend over the odds now - and we should be looking for this figure for Downing in the present market.

If we could sign either Kranjcar or Bentley from Spurs as a replacement, there would still be a significant portion of cash left over for other players and if either were to find their best form they could easily match the performances of Downing last season. I actually think Bentley is very similar to Downing in many respects - elegant technique, excellent passer and capable of outstanding delivery though slightly lightweight. The only real difference is one is left-sided and the other right-sided.

As has been written elsewhere, only Darren Bent is probably irreplaceable and I think it might do the club good if McLeish could rebuild as much of the rest of the team as possible.

Whilst you are right Alec, it's not good for our image or for morale of fans and players to let your best 2 players go within weeks of each other. Yes, they can be replaced of course, but if Ash and Downing both go, how long before our other big players, particularly Bent, wonder if this club can match their ambitions?

I reckon we can keep Downing for another year and still get 20m from Liverpool. They will have a season of realising they don't have anyone who can cross to Andy Carroll.

I reckon we can keep Downing for another year and still get 20m from Liverpool. They will have a season of realising they don't have anyone who can cross to Andy Carroll.

There is no way they will offer 20m next year. It will be more like the 12m we got for Barry.

He is getting older so he will have no sell on value. They will not pay as much money as they are for young players.

Whilst you are right Alec, it's not good for our image or for morale of fans and players to let your best 2 players go within weeks of each other. Yes, they can be replaced of course, but if Ash and Downing both go, how long before our other big players, particularly Bent, wonder if this club can match their ambitions?

Depends who we bring in as replacements to my mind. If we sold Ash and DJ but bought in NZogbia and Shaqiri and had 15m left over then that is not too bad?

I certainly see where you're coming from, but if we were to sell Downing and we added his fee to Young's we would probably have somewhere in the region of £35m to spend (and I don't believe Mr. Lerner is going to prevent McLeish from spending any revenue generated from transfers, despite what some of the doomsayers might think). If we could secure N'Zogbia and Bentley, for example, I think we would likely still have a good £15m of that remaining which could be put to good use - and supporters generally take a lot of heart from seeing new arrivals to freshen things up. So I would likewise be happy to release the likes of Dunne and Cuellar as well if other teams are prepared to stump up some cash for them as has been reported, because I can't imagine anyone will be too keen to pay for Dunne in a year's time and Cuellar will be out of contract by then anyway.

I know there's a lot of 'ifs' in those scenarios, but I'd be more excited about the new season if we had a new-look spine to the team than if we just replaced Young and kept hold of Downing. And I'm not all that confident that we will see Downing maintain the form of last season if he has had his head turned by potential suitors.

Ultimately, the likes of Bent will be among the chief benefactors if he's backed up by a team of hungry, younger players than what we currently have in central roles - though I recognise that we can do without any further negative spinning by the media whilst we go about our preparations for pre-season and that kind of exodus might sound a few alarm bells.

20m would be the magic number for me too. Then we would have to hit the transfer market hard. I think we need to hit it hard now because if we sell Downing then people will know we have pocketed 35m+ and will inflate their prices!

Yes, ideally we should be getting started immediately now Young's sale has been confirmed. Any subsequent loss of Downing would be perceived much differently if we were already some way toward rebuilding the side for next season. If one sale came on top of the other without at least one major incoming signing arriving first, it would look seriously bad.

Its ok saying let him go but who is out there to replace him?

It would have to be a young untested player as any experienced pro with talent and ambition would not join a midtable club who is selling 4 of its best players in 3 seasons.(Barry,Milner, Young,Downing)

Â