Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Downing was consistently our best attacker yesterday, although im not sure how much of an accolade that is. It was more of a case of him not doing much wrong rather than being spectacular.

However I remember one instance mid way through the first half when he threaded a beautiful cross field ball to ash's feet on the edge of the penalty box, where Ash should have done more with the opening.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did Downing create of any note to make him our biggest attacking threat? God knows how he was rated MOM because he did sweet FA. NRC was MOTM by a clear distance but no way would i say Downing was behind him as he did nothing, didn't take on his full-back. Like i said Downing struggles at home, when teams sit back and as a midfield duo is static as they come all creativity is left to two players.

One player. Young can't create to save his life. He can create space for others to create in extremely well, just he himself doesn't possess the vision and passing ability to take advantage of it. Downing is the only one who can.

Still doesn't answer my question what did he create for the strikers on Saturday. I've not once said Downing is a bad player, actually he is a bloody damn good one, however I notice when Young plays shit, his topic is filled with he's a billy big time, doesn't care yadda yadda. However for me Downing didn't do anything of note on Saturday, he played a ball by cutting in and played it across, so that earns him MOM?

So that one pass got him MOTM. Great, i'll be looking for those passes now to give the MOTM award out. Still didn't create a single chance.

Your question was

what did he create for the strikers on Saturday
and I answered it. It was a great pass which Ash should have done better with. Is that not good enough for you?

As I said it was more of a case of him not doing a lot wrong rather than anything in particular that made him the stand out forward player yesterday.

So what is all this talk of MOTM? None of the attackers deserved it as we simply didn't do enough.

While i completely agree that at times he has been brilliant this season, i have to agree with maradonna, im bewildered as to how people can label him motm against wigan? Most of his time was spent getting shouted at by l. young as to which bloody way to run, getting confused as to which side of the pitch he was on when swapping with alby and completely ignoring players runs into space!

Granted it wasnt all bad, he tracked back a few times and i couldnt believe my eyes when he made that quality crunching tackle, but he was far from motm yesterday. Nrc for me by a country mile.

But it was one game, a game where most of the players were shit. Downings a good player, but he was poor for me on saturday.

He played the first half practically inside Walker, very narrow, not on the wing. The second half they changed it to Downing on the left, where he didnt get any joy either.

He had 5 shots two blocked and 3 not on target. He's a good player but he needs things to fall right for him. In fairness to him there were vast amounts of the game where none of them seemed to know what to do.

So that one pass got him MOTM. Great, i'll be looking for those passes now to give the MOTM award out. Still didn't create a single chance.

Your question was

and I answered it. It was a great pass which Ash should have done better with. Is that not good enough for you?

As I said it was more of a case of him not doing a lot wrong rather than anything in particular that made him the stand out forward player yesterday.

So what is all this talk of MOTM? None of the attackers deserved it as we simply didn't do enough.

Which pass are we are on about here, was it the one in the first half? Where he cut inside and switched it to Ash who then in turn put a cross in where a defender cleared it ahead of Heskey.

He played the first half practically inside Walker, very narrow, not on the wing. The second half they changed it to Downing on the left, where he didnt get any joy either.

He had 5 shots two blocked and 3 not on target. He's a good player but he needs things to fall right for him. In fairness to him there were vast amounts of the game where none of them seemed to know what to do.

Totally agree mate and alot of it down the ineptness of the centre midfield.

Sometimes its not all about creating a chance, which he did often, however sometimes just sometimes people need to admit they may just be wrong. You often scoff at MOTM awards and youve already laughed off the award form the match day sponsors given to Downing, but our own Villatalk gave him MOTM followed by The Sun, The Telegraph, The Independant and The Guardian. Those are just the ones I could be arsed to check, now he must have done something for all these people to come to the same conclusion otherwise it would be a very odd coincidence for him to get MOTM when you say he did nothing of note.

Your question was

Which pass are we are on about here, was it the one in the first half? Where he cut inside and switched it to Ash who then in turn put a cross in where a defender cleared it ahead of Heskey.

I think we must be on about the same one.

From where I was sat it seemed the only reason Ash had to cross it was that he dallied a touch too long and allowed the centre back to get back in position to cover his full back.

Someone 'ITK' told me today that there are rumours around the training ground that Downing is off to Liverpool for £17 million and Ashley Young is off to Man City in a deal worth £10 million PLUS James Milner! Obviously these are just rumours but this person has told me stuff in the past that has turned out to be true so I'm not dismissing it completely!

With that being said though I really can't see Milner coming back to be honest!

I'd do the Ash deal no problem, Downing for 17 million isn't bad, although I wouldn't be ecstatic to see him go since he's been our best player this season, doubt we'd want to sell him.

Considering the amount Man City paid for Milner and the fact Ash has one year left on his contract I can't see us getting more than 15 million for him which implies Milner is worth 5 million which is just absolute garbage, I'd personally say Milner was worth more cash then Young.

You know what they say... if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

It's that crazy time of year. We'll be arguing the toss over ITK rumours for the next 3/4 months.

I heard today that Moyes is a shoe in for the managers job for example.

If Downing asks to leave, after we signed him injured and on the back of one great season. He'll feel my wrath like no other. I don't believe he will mind, and he seems a level headed bloke.

I'd love Milner back, BUT he's a Judas, another who was here 5 minutes and decided he was too good for us. Which has been shown to be complete bollocks of course. I have more of a cob on with Milner than I ever could with Barry for example. At least Barry gave us some proper years of service before buggering off. I like to see him doing well whereas I just love seeing Milner sitting on his arse getting splinters

:twisted:

unlikely, but if true i would drive them both there myself. ash and downing for 27 mil plus milner! no brainer

and apart from an unproven Albrighton, who would we play on the wings ?

its always better to have players than cash in the bank

It's that crazy time of year. We'll be arguing the toss over ITK rumours for the next 3/4 months.

I heard today that Moyes is a shoe in for the managers job for example.

If Downing asks to leave, after we signed him injured and on the back of one great season. He'll feel my wrath like no other. I don't believe he will mind, and he seems a level headed bloke.

I'd love Milner back, BUT he's a Judas, another who was here 5 minutes and decided he was too good for us. Which has been shown to be complete bollocks of course. I have more of a cob on with Milner than I ever could with Barry for example. At least Barry gave us some proper years of service before buggering off. I like to see him doing well whereas I just love seeing Milner sitting on his arse getting splinters

:twisted:

Milner isn't a Villa fan, I don't understand why people still expect loyalty in today's game. If you were playing for, let's say a club of similar stature to Villa but not Villa since you're biased... like Everton... and Manchester City came a knockin and offered you ridiculous wages and the opportunity to challenge for European honours on a regular basis, would you seriously turn it down? The only thing I have against Milner deciding to join Man City is did he really expect to play every week? But then again to counter that, he's a hard working chap and probably full of confidence in himself so no doubt he thought that he would take the opportunity to prove how good he was and tie down a regular spot, and you can't really blame him for that.

It's a job to these people, just like how you would no doubt leave your job if another bigger company came calling and offered you a 50 percent wage rise, you'd be mad to turn it down if all of the other circumstances were fine too. That said, I'm not upset at Barry either, especially since he gave us a lot of years of good service, but if he had received an offer as good as Man City offered him and he'd only been here a season, I'm sure he would have been off too. That's just my opinion though.

unlikely, but if true i would drive them both there myself. ash and downing for 27 mil plus milner! no brainer

and apart from an unproven Albrighton, who would we play on the wings ?

its always better to have players than cash in the bank

I personally don't like player swap deals, our last one didn't work out too well.

However, assuming you were talking about buying replacements BEFORE shipping off players, well sometimes it doesn't work like that. If we're only able to use money for transfer funds that we got off of selling other players then you have to sell first.

I agree it wouldn't be ideal doing it this way and it concerns all of us that we wouldn't be able to get adequate replacements in in time, but you surely have to think that if we were even considering selling Downing and Ash then we would be in constant contact with transfer targets who would be their replacements? If Houllier has done one good thing since he's been here, it's being competent at getting transfers done relatively quickly. January is notorious for being incredibly difficult to work in as a transfer window and look at the business we did.

Â