Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

We won't get anywhere unless we keep players like Downing at Villa Park. I would only accept a bid well in excess of the fee we paid for him before I'd even begin to think about any sale. When I say well excess, make it 25mill. Otherwise the Liverpools and the Arsenals can sod off. Great player. New contract please.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's been on the boards to be honest as he's been going in for a lot more 50/50's of late, improved so much as a player throughout the course of the season.

WHY we dont have a chant for him I dont know. People were chanting Ashley's song during Downings corners yesterday!

I think he's been on the boards to be honest as he's been going in for a lot more 80/20's of late, improved so much as a player throughout the course of the season.

WHY we dont have a chant for him I dont know. People were chanting Ashley's song during Downings corners yesterday!

fixed that for you :) He has been tackling and working hard for the team.

Going forward he's as good as anyone and is getting better and better.

Tell Walker that.

I saw many times when Walker busted a gut to support, ran past Downing without receiving the pass, then have to sprint back as Downing lost the ball and jogged lazily to his usual empty space on the pitch.

The man simply does not mark. He doesn't get back. He doesn't track and he rarely tackles. Even West Ham noticed this, as all their (albeit rare) threatening forward plays went down our right.

Contrast that to the work of Ashley Young yesterday and how much tighter we were down our left with the 2 Youngs.

Being good going forward is one thing, and Downing is superb at that. But you have to work harder when we don't have the ball and I just don't ever see Downing doing that.

Tell Walker that.

I saw many times when Walker busted a gut to support, ran past Downing without receiving the pass, then have to sprint back as Downing lost the ball and jogged lazily to his usual empty space on the pitch.

The man simply does not mark. He doesn't get back. He doesn't track and he rarely tackles. Even West Ham noticed this, as all their (albeit rare) threatening forward plays went down our right.

Contrast that to the work of Ashley Young yesterday and how much tighter we were down our left with the 2 Youngs.

Being good going forward is one thing, and Downing is superb at that. But you have to work harder when we don't have the ball and I just don't ever see Downing doing that.

You dont have to tell me that (see earlier this thread :) ) But credit where its due, he is getting better. I would like to see him shoot more (on target).

You dont have to tell me that (see earlier this thread :) ) But credit where its due, he is getting better. I would like to see him shoot more (on target).

Apologies. I didn't mean to single you out - but Downing's workrate frustrated me yesterday.

As did Heskey - but that's for another thread :winkold:

I disagree on Heskey oz.... How many times was he back and got a header in from set pieces and ran around trying to win the ball?

As for Downing, another good performances, he's one of the best wingers around for running down the line nd getting in a cross, the cross he did for Bent's FIRST was a nonchalantly brilliant cross. Albrighton's got the crosses, Downing's got the runs, Ash has the dribbling. Now can we somehow combine all three!?

Tell Walker that.

Think your wrong to be honest, it was the fact that Walker didnt get back quick enough and was poor positionally, everytime they had the ball on our Right Downing was telling Walker where to go and pointing him to mark his man, Stewart was aware of what was going on behind him and where the ball was going to go, he's not a defender and needs to work on his defensive game but he was much better yesterday, it was Walker that was the one they were targeting as he didnt always follow Downings instructions and got drawn into the middle too much when West Ham had the ball in the middle leaving our right wing open.

*dont get me wrong i love kyle but think you've unfairly given walkers criticism to downing

Think your wrong to be honest, it was the fact that Walker didnt get back quick enough and was poor positionally, everytime they had the ball on our Right Downing was telling Walker where to go and pointing him to mark his man, Stewart was aware of what was going on behind him and where the ball was going to go, he's not a defender and needs to work on his defensive game but he was much better yesterday, it was Walker that was the one they were targeting as he didnt always follow Downings instructions and got drawn into the middle too much when West Ham had the ball in the middle leaving our right wing open.

*dont get me wrong i love kyle but think you've unfairly given walkers criticism to downing

Didn't realise it was Downings job to organise the defense.

Or that pointing at players suddenly means you are doing your job defensively. If it was, then we should re-sign Kinsella!

Simple fact is that Downing does not mark and does not drop. He is lazy in defense and that isolates Walker. I remember a few occasions where Walker was marking 2 while Downing was further up the pitch watching. That is not Walker's fault!

Don't get me wrong - Downing with the ball at feet is great to watch and a real asset, but he has to work harder for the team when we don't have the ball.

It's his biggest failing and, therefore, the area he most has to improve.

I think he's been on the boards to be honest as he's been going in for a lot more 50/50's of late, improved so much as a player throughout the course of the season.

Yes, internet messageboards are where he looks to improve his game...

He wasnt organising the defence, he was organising the right hand side which, as the senior player, he was responsible for, he was reading the game and helping out the inexperienced player. Get a grip.

Yes, internet messageboards are where he looks to improve his game...

Yep. I was certainly being 100% serious with this.

He wasnt organising the defence, he was organising the right hand side which, as the senior player, he was responsible for, he was reading the game and helping out the inexperienced player. Get a grip.

I wasn't aware that I lost my grip.

I don't mind him organising - but I'd prefer someone who leads by example instead of pointing.

Walker isn't perfect and has much to learn.

But Downing is defensively lazy. I'm not the only person here to note that. That he improved is great.....

.... but he still has more to do. Stop pointing. Start marking, tracking and tackling.

Â