Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Stewart Downing says Villa are all bright on the right - after forging an impressive partnership with full-back Kyle Walker.

Following Saturday's 1-1 draw at Blackpool, Downing and Walker earned plaudits from Seasiders boss Ian Holloway who said the right-sided duo "looked like they were on fast-forward."

The 26-year-old winger is enjoying his swift attacking link-ups with Walker, whose overlapping runs from the right-back position have become an important feature of Villa's play.

Both players earned call-ups to the England squad for last week's friendly in Denmark and Downing hopes their impressive form can continue.

"We are working well together," he said. "It is obviously the first time I have played with him before but he looks like a really good player.

"Kyle seems to be getting better and better with each game and when he drives forward he is able to give me a few more options on the overlap which is good for me.

"I am enjoying playing with him and we are playing quite well together."

Villa have a free weekend as they wait to discover who their FA Cup fifth round opponents will be, with Manchester City and Notts County replaying on Sunday.

Downing is confident the claret and blues will retain match sharpness for their return to action against Blackburn in the Barclays Premier League a week on Saturday.

"It is always a tough game against Blackburn and we will have to make sure we keep our sharpness," he added.

"They are a tough side to play against home and away so we are confident we straight into them from the off.

"With everyone back fit, playing and fighting for places it will be good for the confidence of the team building up to the game."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2295433,00.html

Looks like he is there to stay. Get Young on the left and we won't have too many complaints.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who thinks he's slow and lacks pace should look at the way he breezed past the Blackburn defence for his goal.

6th league goal this season, he could easily be on 10 now given some of the chances he's missed and if he can get to that before the season is out which is realistic then that will be a pretty good season from him.

Anyone who thinks he's slow and lacks pace should look at the way he breezed past the Blackburn defence for his goal.

6th league goal this season, he could easily be on 10 now given some of the chances he's missed and if he can get to that before the season is out which is realistic then that will be a pretty good season from him.

I would guess that, once up to top speed, Downing is one of the quickest players at the club.

His weakness (and why some perceive him as slow) is his short burst speed. He'd piss all over AY7 over 100m... but over 10m it would be the other way round.

I think he's getting better all the time. Double figures in goals and assists should be his target this season.

Downing is super quick, have always said it. He's really improved last couple weeks on the right in terms of running at players. If you play on an opposite wing, you need to have it in your locker to drive in wards at defenders, just like the 4th goal, too many times with Downing on the right, I thought he'd cut back way before even getting to defenders which means he's not committing anyone and therefore it's just pointless but was much better vs Blackburn actually running at defenders. Class player.

Downing started on the left against Blackburn and switched to the right after 15 minutes (not sure.) He wasnt getting much change out of Salgado so Albrighton went on the left. I'd like to know who's call that was....does he prefer it on the right???

The last few weeks Downing has looked so much more comfortable on the right. He cuts in a little too much but he rarely loses the ball and is starting to run a lot more at players. I really like Downing. He lacks a little charisma in terms of imposing himself on games but the quality is there. He's fast as **** when he wants to be as well.

Player of the season for me. By a distance.

Also my MOTM on Saturday by a distance, despite Young's terrific performance.

I have to agree. I think he has developed a really good relationship with Walker and they are combining really well. He has an ability to play the ball in effortlessly with minimal backlift when he is coming inside onto his left foot and he can also strike it really well.

I felt that Albie was starting to replicate a little towards the end of Saturdays games and had a couple of good shots.

I just wish that they could be more fluid across the three (Ash included) and switch intermittently to make it harder to pick them up. I think with two sitting midfielders - Coker/Makoun/Delph - this would allow them the freedom to do this. Then we just need to replace Walker (assuming Candleface wants him back) and get a more attacking left back to work the outside channels, again knowing that there are two holding midfielders to cover their runs.

Â