Best refs for the best league?

TheSufferingVilla

Should leagues bring in foreign refs at the expense of inferior home grown ones.  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should leagues bring in foreign refs at the expense of inferior home grown ones.

• No
    • Yes

Obviously inspired by the quality officials at the World Cup in contrast to the Premiership clowns we see week in week out.

Should the top leagues bid for the best Refs like clubs bid for the best players? Say the Bundesliga has a brilliant ref better than anyone in the Premiership shouldn't the Premier league offer him a shit ton of cash to move over?

I would have loved to have seen Collina ref in the Prem.

14984.gif

Arguably, the greatest referee there has ever been and a travesty that he was forced to retire by FIFA at 45.

I thought he was younger than that, Trekka.

Pretty sure the age limit is 42/43 in Italy, meaning he had to retire. Then there was talk of him coming the Premier League, but it never materialised.

I thought he was younger than that, Trekka.

Pretty sure the age limit is 42/43 in Italy, meaning he had to retire. Then there was talk of him coming the Premier League, but it never materialised.

Apparently, he was 45 meaning he had to retire from FIFA matches. The Italian FA raised their limit to 46 to allow him to referee in Italy for another year but he resigned.

Aye, I remember the talk of him coming over here too.

Hmmm, really good question, TSV....

I suppose if the best foreign players are allowed to ply their trade in England, then perhaps officials should too.

However- officials make **** all compared to players, so you'd be really affecting the livelihood of many English officials and their families, so...

It's sounds good in theory, but I think officials should be homegrown.

Couldn't you say that about almost every profession?

We should try to get the best people we can, if that means some less able people have to do other jobs, or work at a lower level, well, too bad, really.

Couldn't you say that about almost every profession?

We should try to get the best people we can, if that means some less able people have to do other jobs, or work at a lower level, well, too bad, really.

I understand your point, but at some point you have to determine what is best for the national interest, in terms of employment. If there is a grounds crew from Spain that is highly regarded, should Coventry City sack theirs and hire the Spaniards?

Then again, a private business can employ whomever, so...

Eh, it's a tough question

Hmmm, really good question, TSV....

I suppose if the best foreign players are allowed to ply their trade in England, then perhaps officials should too.

However- officials make **** all compared to players, so you'd be really affecting the livelihood of many English officials and their families, so...

Well they shouldn't be so incompetent then. I thought it was a worldwide problem but looking at the world cup it isn't. It's just us.

Hasnt spains top ref retired this year but could do 2 more years here?

I thought the EEC had ruled that rule as illegal years ago, obviously not.

I'm sure someone challenged it as a restraint of trade and won

I don't think many top referees would actually want to ref in England. Some sections of your media have ruined the career and lives of some like Anders Frisk and Urs Maier by printing address and phone number

Â