bickster

Who will top the group?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who will top the group?

• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

For sure, get David Beckham or Alan Shearer in charge. Or some ENGLISH MANAGER!

:shock: :shock: Did you see what he did with Newcastle. It needs to be someone with experience, like Hodgson or Redknapp. I know people on this site don't like the latter, but I think he would do good as england boss.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think either Hodgson or Redknapp would be good for England,no shit!

Then again we all said that when Sven came. He had won leagues in 3 different euro countries as well as some euro trophies with unfancied sides. There is something about the england managers which negatively affects the man in charge.

I think either Hodgson or Redknapp would be good for England,no shit!

Then again we all said that when Sven came. He had won leagues in 3 different euro countries as well as some euro trophies with unfancied sides. There is something about the england managers which negatively affects the man in charge.

What about Hitzfeld?

hes too good to be manager for Swiss :-)

Our history has shown we are poor in international terms and have been since the mid-sixties at best. We regularly fail to qualify and perfrom poorly when we do. This is no different than it has been for many years.

Since it is impossible for players to suddenly become so much worse overnight, the only possible answer is that they were not that good to begin with. Our Premier teams are full of players from all over the world, so how these players may appear to play in our League is not a guide to their quality. Few of our players are ever, or have ever, either been wanted abroad or succeeeded abroad. Our Champions League sides have been dominated by foreign players for years.

There is a certain type of football played in this Country which is very different to others - the only chance we have of any successs internationally is to pick a team of those players who best epitomise that style - even if they are from lower clubs - and develop that style and stick to it. Just because it is fashionable to string 90 passes together doesn't mean it works for everybody. A good Championship side with a decent keeper and a goalscorer would both have a better chance and be more representative of our football. Throw in a good Manager who epitomises the british game (someone like Martin O neill) and the chances of success would be greater. We'd still come unstuck against the best, our players will never play to that standard regularly, but we'd have success too.

At our 'top level' in the Premiership we have/have had largely managers building teams with large foreign content and integrating that with a small amount of English players. How is that ever likely to be a recipe for International success ?

Although we regularly fail.

2006 - Penalties - Portugal - Quarters.

2004 - Penalties - Portugal - Quarters.

2002 - Lost game - Brazil (Winners) - Quarters

2000 - Group Stages.

1998 - Penalties - Argentina - Last 16.

1996 - Penalties - Germany - Semi Final.

Last 6 major competitions we competed in, we've gone out 4 on penalties, lost to eventual winners and did really shit in 2000.

We aren't that bad, but we simply can't take penalties, that quite literally is it.

In case anyone has forgotton Beckham has been heavily involved in this campaign...

Anyway **** what Rooney thinks, you are there to play well and score goals. That was the worse performance from a striker I have seen (for England) in years.

Although we regularly fail.

2006 - Penalties - Portugal - Quarters.

2004 - Penalties - Portugal - Quarters.

2002 - Lost game - Brazil (Winners) - Quarters

2000 - Group Stages.

1998 - Penalties - Argentina - Last 16.

1996 - Penalties - Germany - Semi Final.

Last 6 major competitions we competed in, we've gone out 4 on penalties, lost to eventual winners and did really shit in 2000.

We aren't that bad, but we simply can't take penalties, that quite literally is it.

Are you really putting England's lack of success on the world stage down to their inability to take penalties?

I would think that a decent team wouldn't get taken to penalties as often as England have...

Yes, but a crap team wouldn't even get to the knock-out stages of tournaments often enough to fail at penalties. And once you are in the knock-out stage, you also need to be good enough to not get beaten after 120 minutes.

Let's say england crash out. It's safe to say Capello would be gone. Does the FA decide to hire an Englishman as manager this time after 2 foreign flops?

I think they would. But who?

Roy Hodgson?

Neil Warnock?

Sam Allardyce?

Or do they look at MON, David Moyes, or Mark Hughes?

Should be interesting.

Let's say england crash out. It's safe to say Capello would be gone. Does the FA decide to hire an Englishman as manager this time after 2 foreign flops?

I think they would. But who?

Roy Hodgson?

Neil Warnock?

Sam Allardyce?

Or do they look at MON, David Moyes, or Mark Hughes?

Should be interesting.

I would go for Hodgson every time to be honest. Think he could do a great job with the England team.