bickster

Who will top the group?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who will top the group?

• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

Can't see it being anything other than this.

--------------------GREEN--------------------

JOHNSON-----CARRAGHER-----TERRY-----COLE

GERRARD------LAMPARD------BARRY------COLE

----------------ROONEY------HESKEY-------------

That but Dawson for Carragher.

EDIT: I'd take Green out as well.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except Gerrard plays left.

I think Capello will go with Carragher again, or if not Carragher, Upson ahead of Dawson. Not sure what he's going to do with Gerrard, Heskeys probably done enough to keep his place and i don't think he'll be on the left after scoring and looking good in the US game. So Barry or Lampard? I hope Barry, i'm sick of seeing Lampard/Gerrard, as everyone one else seems to be.

you think lamps won't be in the starting 11, but milner will be? :shock:

lamps nailed on to start, with barry. Gerrard asked to play a little further left, and to support shrek. Just like in the qualifiers. Worked well

Lennon on the right.

Shrek and Heskey up front.

No, i agree that Lampard will probably start, unfortunately, but Gerrard had a great game on Saturday, so i don't see why he'd switch him back to the left again.

Personally i'd play Milner on the left and Barry/Gerrard in the middle, but Lampard will probably get the nod.

****.......he's going to play Gerrard on the left again isn't he *sighs*.....we looked good with this midfield in the qualifiers, but we would look better playing our best players (Gerrard) in their more preffered positions.

Except Gerrard plays left.

yep, thai and the dact that Sir Joseph of Cile doesn't seem to be one of Fab Cap's favoured sons. I'm not sure why Joe Cole would start this game, if he didn't start the previous one (didn't even come on as sub, so it seems he's lower in the pecking order than SWP also)

Gerrard covering the left and Lennon down the right, i'd guess.

****.......he's going to play Gerrard on the left again isn't he *sighs*.....

I think that's his intention, yes.

Once GB is fit, that is what he plans to do, IMO.

Leaves one spot up for grabs on the right, which i'd guess lennon has first dibs on ....

What is with the obsession with playing Gerrard wide? he's pants out wide. And he's one of your best players, does not compute.

------------------------Hart--------------------------

Johnson-----Scouser---------Terry---------Cole

---------------Barry------------Carrick--------------

----------------------Lampard-----------------------

-------------Gerrard----------Cole--------------------

-----------------------Rooney------------------

Given the options available something crazy like this would work.

Hart would be first choice, he's less error prone and although he doesnt have experience, you need to take risks to win world cups.

The wingers imo are pants. Your best chance is to try and play through the middle initially, then when the game wears on you'll can whack on the pace to stretch the game.

Probably stick to 4-4-2 and kick and rush the shit out of Algeria though :P

STEVE Coppell believes Fabio Capello must ditch shot-shy striker Emile Heskey if England are to make an impact at the World Cup in South Africa.

Held to a disappointing 1-1 draw by the USA in their Group C opener, England must beat outsiders Algeria in Cape Town on Friday or risk a humiliating exit from the tournament.

Bristol City boss Coppell believes England have what it takes to reach the last 16 and progress to the latter stages, but insisted Capello must make changes to the side which under-achieved on Saturday.

And he is urging the England manager to dispense with Heskey and deploy star player Wayne Rooney as a lone striker.

Aston Villa forward Heskey was criticised after making a hash of a second-half goalscoring opportunity when one-on-one with USA keeper Tim Howard, and Coppell said: "I don't see how you can go into a tournament expecting to do well with a centre forward who does not score goals.

"I was listening to the commentary on the television and Gareth Southgate said he had not scored a goal since February. If that is true, then surely he should not be leading England's attack in a World Cup Finals.

"I do not subscribe to the view that Heskey must play in order to bring the best out of Wayne Rooney. They played together in the opening game and Rooney struggled to get into the game and only played in fits and starts.

"If we have any pretensions to make the latter stages of the World Cup, let alone win it, then Capello simply has to pick his best players."

Capello is being widely tipped to recall Gareth Barry to face Algeria and Coppell would like to see the England coach opt for a five-man midfield and give Steve Gerrard and Frank Lampard licence to roam.

He said: "We've seen many times before that playing Gerrard and Lampard together in the centre of a four-man midfield does not work. Our winger stayed out wide instead of tucking in on Saturday and those two were outnumbered in the middle of the park.

"I would like to see Capello bring back Gareth Barry in a holding role and free up Gerrard and Lampard to get forward and support Rooney.

"That is the best part of their game and we have to play to our strengths if we want to progress in the tournament."

City's manager insisted Capello must also address the issue of which goalkeeper to select and shore up a defence that has been depleted by injury to Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King.

"I have always maintained that the triangle of goalkeeper and two centre-backs is going to be crucial to our chances.

"If that little area is nice and solid, then you have a chance.

"But Fabio has problems and still does not seem to know which is his best goalkeeper. I think he has to keep faith with Robert Green, otherwise he is effectively saying that his international career is over.

"He also needs to find the right man to partner John Terry in the centre of defence. Jamie Carragher looked short of pace against the USA and he may have to consider Michael Dawson or Matthew Upson.

"Upson has played plenty of times for England but has not had the best of seasons in the Premier League, while Dawson has had a good season with Spurs but lacks experience at this level. I think Capello has some difficult decisions to make and he has to get them

link

i dont get it, what impression has rooney given that if he plays up front by himself he will be disciplined enough to stay up there? given that he was meant to play up front on saturday but actually did anything but? so now we remove heskey and play with no one up front whilst rooney pisses about on the half way line

Won't happen but I would go

------------------------James---------------------

Johnson-----Dawson---------Terry---------Cole

-----------------Barry---------Lampard---------

Lennon--------------Gerrard---------------Cole

----------------------Rooney---------------------

USA faces mirror image in Slovenia

For the U.S., Friday's match will be like looking in a mirror -- at least from a tactical point of view. Slovenia, like the Americans, plays a basic 4-4-2, has a style based more in physique than technique, keeps its wide midfielders narrow and has a big man/quick man center-forward pairing. Both even have an attacking right back, and each would rank its goalkeeper among the best two or three players in the team.

The second World Cup game for both teams will be intense and intriguing, but it is unlikely to be pretty. In fact, it's likely to resemble nothing so much as an English league match from the late 1980s.

Slovenia's strengths, without question, are its defense and its team ethic. It is blessed with a remarkable mental strength and faith in its method, as was apparent against Algeria on Sunday. That was a game Slovenia knew that realistically it had to win to have any chance of making the knockouts. It began badly, as Algeria bossed possession and had the couple of early chances, but Slovenia didn't panic, persisted in its method, and by halftime had gained control of the midfield. Slowly, the life was stifled from Algeria, and it panicked, Abdelkader Ghezzal being sent off for two of the dumbest offenses you're ever likely to see. Remorselessly, Slovenia's grip tightened, and while Robert Koren's goal may have resulted from the second-worst goalkeeping error of the tournament, and may not even have resulted from a protracted spell of pressure, there was still a sense that it had been coming.

This is how Slovenia does things: minimalistically. Its persistence should never be underestimated. Of the 20 goals it scored in World Cup qualifying, seven came after the 80th minute. The most significant of those was Nejc Pecnik's 88th-minute strike against Russia in the first leg of their playoff. The Russians had swept into a 2-0 lead, and they looked comfortable. Thoughts were perhaps already turning to high-altitude training, and continuing the Guus Hiddink-inspired rise of the Russian game; then suddenly Slovenia had an away goal, and a World Cup playoff that had looked all but won was in the balance. The psychological blow proved decisive, and although Russia was unlucky to have Alexander Kerzhakov sent off in the second leg in Maribor, it never found any rhythm in losing 1-0 and going out on away goals.

Slovenia is not a great team. It may be able to dismantle a side like San Marino, as it did in qualifying, or Qatar, as it did in its preparations for the World Cup, but it cannot take the initiative against a better side. It sits deep and looks to break a potential siege with quick counterattacking sallies. It is awkward rather than gifted. An awareness of its limitations, allied to rigorous organization and a resolute mentality, makes them an awkward opponent for anybody, although it should be said that historically it has tended to perform better against more technical opposition.

The setup is simple. Bostjan Cesar and Marko Suler are reliable center backs, although neither is huge, and the suspicion must be that Jozy Altidore can cause them problems. The two fullbacks are similarly solid rather than spectacular, with Miso Brecko, the right back, more adventurous than Bojan Jokic on the other flank. Jokic, presumably, will take responsibility for dealing with Landon Donovan, and will be relatively happy to sit deep, but the key battle could be that between Brecko and Clint Dempsey. Brecko is not a fullback who will try to drive Dempsey back and try to take him out of the game as an attacking force, but Dempsey must be aware of Brecko's occasional sallies.

Robert Koren and Aleksander Radosavljevic sit deep in the midfield, offering a defensive shield. Neither, though, is a clogger, and it was Radosavljevic's passing ability that secured his place in the team at the expense of the more robust Andrej Komac, who remains an option from the bench to shore things up. It is the shape, rather than the combative attributes of any individual, that gives Slovenia its defensive strength.

For Michael Bradley and Ricardo Clark, this will be a very different contest to the one against England. Then, their job was essentially to sit deep and prevent Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard from taking charge, something that, after the first five minutes, they did admirably. Koren and Radosavljevic, though, will not look to press on, and the midfield could become something of a standoff, with both sides looking to prevent the other from taking the initiative rather than looking to take it themselves.

Bradley and Clark will also have to be aware of Zlatko Dedic, who buzzes behind Milivoje Novakovic, the target man, often dropping deep. Oguchi Onyewu was generally excellent on Saturday, but he can't afford to follow Dedic as he was sucked into following Wayne Rooney for the England goal, even if Koren is less of an attacking threat from deep than Gerrard. Novakovic himself is strong in the air and holds the ball up well, but given the way the U.S. defense handled Emile Heskey's bulk -- the goal aside -- that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Like the U.S., Slovenia's only real creativity comes from the wide midfielders, Valter Birsa and Andraz Kirm. Both tend to tuck in when Slovenia is out of possession, pulling wider when the ball is won, while still looking to cut in on the diagonal -- just as Donovan and Dempsey do. They also tend to switch during games, occasionally playing as orthodox wide men and looking to swing in crosses, but more usually playing as inside-out wingers. That can be an attacking move -- as when Lionel Messi floats in-field onto his left foot for Barcelona -- but here, as a goal tally of five between them in 61 appearances suggests, it's more defensive, to keep the midfield compact and narrow.

The probability is that the center will be crowded on Friday, with all eight midfielders and possibly Dedic battling in the same space. It's likely to be attritional and unpleasant, a battle of will as much as ability. There won't be any sweeping 20-pass flurries or brilliant slaloming dribbles; aesthetes should probably turn away. Art, though, comes in many guises, and just because it isn't beautiful doesn't mean it isn't soccer.

i dont get it, what impression has rooney given that if he plays up front by himself he will be disciplined enough to stay up there?

The impression from most of this season at United, I would guess :winkold:

Won't happen but I would go

------------------------James---------------------

Johnson-----Dawson---------Terry---------Cole

-----------------Barry---------Lampard---------

Lennon--------------Gerrard---------------Cole

----------------------Rooney---------------------

as would I :nod:

What is with the obsession with playing Gerrard wide? he's pants out wide. And he's one of your best players, does not compute.

------------------------Hart--------------------------

Johnson-----Scouser---------Terry---------Cole

---------------Barry------------Carrick--------------

----------------------Lampard-----------------------

-------------Gerrard----------Cole--------------------

-----------------------Rooney------------------

Given the options available something crazy like this would work.

Hart would be first choice, he's less error prone and although he doesnt have experience, you need to take risks to win world cups.

The wingers imo are pants. Your best chance is to try and play through the middle initially, then when the game wears on you'll can whack on the pace to stretch the game.

Probably stick to 4-4-2 and kick and rush the shit out of Algeria though :P

I don't understand why he plays Gerrard left, he should drop Lampard and be done with it. Gerrard is our 2nd best player when played correctly.

Capello seems to be sacrificing team balance for playing the 'best' players out of position.

I don't understand why he plays Gerrard left, he should drop Lampard and be done with it. Gerrard is our 2nd best player when played correctly.

Capello seems to be sacrificing team balance for playing the 'best' players out of position.

Gerrard has been shit for England most times he's played.. so has Lampard too in fairness, but at least Lampard has had yet another brilliant season, whereas Gerrard has just had a woeful season. Lampard > Gerrard every time for me.

But yes.. round pegs in round holes please!

Green dropped. More howlers in training

The Times reckons that despite doing a similar spill in training yesterday, that he will still play.

What is your source?