The New Condem Government

bickster

..caught a news snippet where Ed appeared to be trying to goad Cameron into a TV debate a week before the election

Seemed strange given Ed's lack of public appeal and his inability to land any real blows on Cameron the past few years during their PMQ exchanges

Presumably his strategists and spin doctors have a cunning plan that isn't apparent at this moment in time ?

He did pretty good with his questions. Showed up Cameron totally on each of the areas he asked about.

The problem is to a degree that Cameron, despite being shown up in terms of words and deeds on the 3 things - the telly deabte, Immigration and the tax avoider man, and despite shameful replies, appears "more commanding" - he's slicker, basically.

A lot of people see him as a kind of empty shell with a benign appearance hiding a nasty party, but many others seem to think he's "OK".

He can't be OK, to me. He's a massive hypocrit.

Aren't they all though ? probably in every country not just ours though our current leaders do seem to be as bad as anyone in history

Probably, though I personally find Cameron and Osborne etc. to be particulalry loathesome in that regard. Maybe it's just me, but the sheer cynicism, the shamelessness of it is a new low, in a long history of lows. They're despicable.
Possibly , but I don't think they are being anything other than what you'd expect them to be though ...so arguably they aren't hypocrites ... Balls and Miliband however

Only a Tory could make a joke out of such a shameful thing.

If you have never seen a kid eating Monster Munch or equivalent for their breakfast, you either live in a bubble or just don't look.

Don't you remember when Jamie Oliver tried to improve kids' diets and parents defied the scheme by pushing junk food through the school railings?

Isn't universal free school-meals for infants just the government acknowledging that parents don't feed their kids right?

You still sought to make light of something that shames our nation. It's not that sarcasm and humour should be banned, there is a time and place for it. This subject isn't it.
Real world I'd agree , but this is a football forum where gallows humour and in appropriate posts are par for course

If it's too sensitive for you may i politely suggest you sign up to mumsnet

Hungry children is not something that should inspire any humour anywhere , gallows or otherwise. If you disagree, fine. As for the mumsnet jibe. Keyboard warriors never have impressed me much.

Can't say Shania Twain has either

Oh I don't know. She's nearly 50, and I still would  ;)

• Like 1

Enlighten me.

(1) The joke was actually aimed at middle class journalists.

(2) You called someone a Tory, who as far as I can recall has never identified himself as such… then after the act of being a keyboard warrior accuse someone else of being one!

Enlighten me.

(2) You called someone a Tory, who as far as I can recall has never identified himself as such… then after the act of being a keyboard warrior accuse someone else of being one!

Given the subject, hungry children, the joke was tasteless. Tory is not an insult, or is it.

Enlighten me.

Given the subject, hungry children, the joke was tasteless. Tory is not an insult, or is it.

is it ok if I do a joke about paedo's in the tory party?

• Like 2

Given the subject, hungry children, the joke was tasteless.

The bagel looked tasteless.

Tory is not an insult, or is it.

I'd view it as a heinous insult if you were to call me one (as ought anyone who doesn't actually fit the bill). Edited by snowychap

Enlighten me.

Strange thing to say.No it is not.

I would only ever use the word tory as an insult.

Although I have this evening just received a bit of a moral dilemma......

With two kids in school the local authority have just announced they are going to combine the local comps. The one my kids are in, which is good, and the other one which is frankly bog standard crap. There are a number of reasons, economics of scale being the main one cited. Getting the average of the shit school up being the real one.

Now, every politician locally is for it except one. The current tory MP. He says that if he gets back in he will do everything he can to stop, slow or obstruct the merger.

So potentially I now have a direct personal interest in giving my kids the best I can, by voting tory. It's an interesting choice (this is the same guy that worked brilliantly to help us gain control of the local footy club by the way).

Given the subject, hungry children, the joke was tasteless.

The bagel looked tasteless.

Tory is not an insult, or is it.

I'd view it as a heinous insult if you were to call me one (as ought anyone who doesn't actually fit the bill).

That rules out Labour voters then :winkold:

Although I have this evening just received a bit of a moral dilemma......

With two kids in school the local authority have just announced they are going to combine the local comps. The one my kids are in, which is good, and the other one which is frankly bog standard crap. There are a number of reasons, economics of scale being the main one cited. Getting the average of the shit school up being the real one.

Now, every politician locally is for it except one. The current tory MP. He says that if he gets back in he will do everything he can to stop, slow or obstruct the merger.

So potentially I now have a direct personal interest in giving my kids the best I can, by voting tory. It's an interesting choice (this is the same guy that worked brilliantly to help us gain control of the local footy club by the way).

Chris is going to vote Tory

Chris is going to vote Tory

Etc etc

Tbh nothing really changes much whoever governs the country , they are all the same party these days ...so I'd vote on the local issue and whoevers view you agree with ... Of course if it's for economic reasons you might find he keeps both schools and then shuts down the hospital :)

• Like 1

Strange thing to say.No it is not.

shit, I'm not going to have much material left.....

....Jihadi John? Is it ok to do jokes about ISIS and Jihadi John?

That's because it is an insult - it means Irish bog-trotter i.e. a robber.

Conservative is the correct term - the wish to preserve that which is good about present arrangements, which the Lefties want to ditch and replace with their latest mad idea.

I don't think anyone using the term to describe someone else (and their politics or political association in the 21st century) really cares about the precise etymological origin of the term or intends for that origin to have any bearing on its modern application.

Conservative is the correct term - the wish to preserve that which is good about present arrangements, which the Lefties want to ditch and replace with their latest mad idea.

I'm not so sure that it is the 'correct' term.

It may be one with which Tories themselves are more comfortable but, frankly, I couldn't care less about the nomenclatural preferences (and associated sensibilities) of the members of any political party unless it is of real assistance in distinguishing one particular part of a party from another.

I think your definition of conservatism would have been better put (and with less apparent bias) if you'd suggested it was about preserving (and/or returning to) traditional arrangements that are seen as 'good' for the very fact that they are traditional arrangements.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone using the term to describe someone else (and their politics or political association in the 21st century) really cares about the precise etymological origin of the term or intends for that origin to have any bearing on its modern application.

I'm not so sure that it is the 'correct' term.

It may be one with which Tories themselves are more comfortable but, frankly, I couldn't care less about the nomenclatural preferences (and associated sensibilities) of the members of any political party unless it is of real assistance in distinguishing one particular part of a party from another.

I think your definition of conservatism would have been better put (and with less apparent bias) if you'd suggested it was about preserving (and/or returning to) traditional arrangements that are seen as 'good' for the very fact that they are traditional arrangements.

28ur6u8.jpg

• Like 4

Probably, though I personally find Cameron and Osborne etc. to be particulalry loathesome in that regard. Maybe it's just me, but the sheer cynicism, the shamelessness of it is a new low, in a long history of lows. They're despicable.
Possibly , but I don't think they are being anything other than what you'd expect them to be though ...so arguably they aren't hypocrites ... Balls and Miliband however

Ahh., but....

anyway - "arguably not hypocrits" - there's no possible way that can be argued.

• Like 1

dem books

I think you'll find tory has changed and now means 'on the take from business to sell grandmothers and eat babies', whilst conservative means 'the party that facilitates the consumption of babies and deregulated the trade in grandmothers for the benefit of Great Britain plc.'

Anyway, did anyone find the definitive list of subjects we're not allowed to make fun of?

I don't want to have to drop cancer and necrophilia from the act.

• Like 1

Ahh., but....

anyway - "arguably not hypocrits" - there's no possible way that can be argued.

Can't help but think you've misunderstood the rules to the ahh but game :P

Thing is You know what your going to get with the Tories , they are doing exactly as we expected them to do , hence why I say arguably they aren't hypocrites ... They haven't for example publicly come out and named and shamed companies for tax avoidance and then used one of the companies they've named to collect their online donations ,

Â