The New Condem Government

bickster

Ah, the living wage. Labour will be offering that too. :thumb:

Without giving figures. It looks nice but stinks of political bollocks.

And what makes the Greens different?

I don't like Labour but what exactly makes the Greens any different here? They're a political party with their own ambitions just like Labour. What makes people think that parties like Greens and UKIP will somehow act different if they get into Westminster?

Edited by Mantis

Green are nice and fluffy. UKIP are the party of the people.

Look at Farage here drinking a beer

farage-beer_2887813b.jpg

Down to earth, man of the people.

Cameron-beer-1.jpg

18n02milliband-454595.jpg

Boo! Hiss! Just photo opportunities! Completely different.

• Like 2

The implementation of a minimum wage that's a living wage. They estimate it at £8.10 I think. That would effectively be a pay rise for a hell of a lot of people.

The poverty level is considered to be anything below 60% of median earning (around £26k).

£26k x 60% is £15600 divided by 52, divided by 37 hours is around £8 an hour.

So no full-time worker earns below the poverty line.

It would be interesting to see how much that would cost the NHS.
Edited by MakemineVanilla

The most crippling costs the NHS face are the PFI contracts. That's new labour and the conservatives putting our money into the pockets of profiteers. That needs to stop, I'd rather extra money went into the pockets of the cleaners and nurses. Big corporations will need to start paying tax.

The most crippling costs the NHS face are the PFI contracts. That's new labour and the conservatives putting our money into the pockets of profiteers. That needs to stop, I'd rather extra money went into the pockets of the cleaners and nurses. Big corporations will need to start paying tax.

It certainly represents a substantial pay rise for the lower-paid.

A classroom assistant gets around £12k a year so paying them £15k amounts to a 25% rise.

Obviously, teachers would have to co-operate and not complain about the erosion of differential, which seems unlikely.

A new teacher gets £21k outside London - would they be happy?

It certainly represents a substantial pay rise for the lower-paid.

A classroom assistant gets around £12k a year so paying them £15k amounts to a 25% rise.

Obviously, teachers would have to co-operate and not complain about the erosion of differential, which seems unlikely.

A new teacher gets £21k outside London - would they be happy?

I cant possibly answer what other people think. I would be happy to see my colleagues lifted out of poverty. It wouldn't make a difference to me.

I may be way off here, but if poverty is seen as 60% of the average wage.....is lifting the minimum wage actually going to theoretically 'solve' poverty or simply push the median higher?

I'm not suggesting we keep people poor. But whilst the formula for poverty is ok for now, if we actually genuinely tried to abolish it using that formula could that ever actually be done?

I think the 60% isn't such the way of removing poverty but the current tool to be used to reduce it. These things are always redefine able at a later point. You get to that point and reassess.

I may be way off here, but if poverty is seen as 60% of the average wage.....is lifting the minimum wage actually going to theoretically 'solve' poverty or simply push the median higher?

I'm not suggesting we keep people poor. But whilst the formula for poverty is ok for now, if we actually genuinely tried to abolish it using that formula could that ever actually be done?

You are correct.

The whole notion of 'relative' poverty does seem like madness because someone could be transformed from being in poverty not by increasing their income but by cutting other people's.

It could possibly bring about the ridiculous situation where a person in one country could be deemed to be living in poverty but a person in a more equal country but actually materially worse off, would be deemed not to be in poverty.

The fact that 'relative' poverty tends to be used so that people assume the speaker/author means 'absolute' poverty always seems dishonest.

I sometimes think the whole concept of relative poverty was the invention of the poverty lobby industry to ensure they are never out of a job. :)

Â