Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Getting rid of Carew would be moronic.

Just purely based on starts. (the points we would of got had Carew started every game, based on average points secured while in/out the team)

With Carew in the team: 55 points. (based on 22 games he started)

Without Carew in the team: 76 points. (based on 16 games he didn't start)

Unless of mis-calculated.

32 out of 66 from starting.

32 out of 48 from non starting. (I'm guessing BOF/Levi) :winkold:

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Zigic is going to the scum. See how some clubs get right to it?

I'm sure O'Neill will wait until after the World Cup to do anything, which will give us four weeks of hand wringing and limited options

I'm sure O'Neill will wait until after the World Cup to do anything, which will give us four weeks of hand wringing and limited options

He left it late last season and we got Warnock, Dunne and Collins, all of which have been great signings. What's your point?

He left it late last season and we got Warnock, Dunne and Collins, all of which have been great signings. What's your point?

Those extra three points available against Wigan might have helped. :lol: I'd like to get the team sorted by the first game, although I agree it's better to get them anytime than not at all.

I agree it's about bringing in the right players rather than the time when they are bought in.....that said, it would be better if we get have almost all business done by early August.

Never going to happen in a WC year to be honest.

Yeah true but I feel we only need 4,5 players maximum. If we are going for 5 say, if we get 4 of them in by about 7th August, I think that's realistic. Or at least the main 3 transfers completed by around then. That said, I don't think were in as desperate position as we were last year in terms of a squad so I suppose it's not a huge issue, just more of a bonus.

---------------Gabby----------------

------------Keane-------------------

-------------------Ireland----------

Downing-------Parker--------Young

So replacing three of our starting front six from this season with inferior players?

Not one of the best ideas I've heard.

Just purely based on starts. (the points we would of got had Carew started every game, based on average points secured while in/out the team)

More stats:

John Carew goals 2009/2010 - 17

John Carew goals for Aston Villa - 52 in 122 games.

Question - how many strikers have better goals/game ratios over the last few years than Carew does?

Watching Ireland atm, and Doyle is having a great game. Really would like him at Villa, impresses me every time I watch him and he pretty much kept Wolves up. Chases every ball, anticipates chances, holds the ball up well and has proven he can get goals in the Premiership at bottom half sides. With the better service he could be a great player.

Of all the players we've been linked with thus far none have really blown me away. I'm yet to see a link and think "that's the one" I can't get excited about Keane or Jenas or Ireland, try as I might. I'm guessing it might be a long summer.

More stats:

John Carew goals 2009/2010 - 17

John Carew goals for Aston Villa - 52 in 122 games.

Question - how many strikers have better goals/game ratios over the last few years than Carew does?

To be honest, you might be different but I care more about the team than John Carew individual stats.

I said even before I had a look through stats, I just feel the team lose something defensively as well as creating chances as a team. So what we lose in Carew, I still feel we make up in that we keep the ball alot better, work harder as a team, create more chances as a team and concede less chances. Carew might score a few more goals but considering he losses the ball pretty often it means just more pressure on our back 4 and therefore gives the opponents more chance of scoring because they have more of the ball. Also don't think he works hard enough for the team but I can accept that as he's not that sort of player but don't think he fits in with the team.

To be honest, you might be different but I care more about the team than John Carew individual stats.

You might be different but I'm quite keen to see us score lots of goals. If Carew is going to do lots of that, then great.

You might be different but I'm quite keen to see us score lots of goals. If Carew is going to do lots of that, then great.

Yes we are different then. I prefer to see a winning team.

And you might have noticed that scoring goals is a pretty good way to achieve that.

And your ridiculously flawed statistics don't really do much to change that.

And you might have noticed that scoring goals is a pretty good way to achieve that.

And your ridiculously flawed statistics don't really do much to change that.

Yes, so is hard work and strong defensive unit (as a team) and also keeping the ball. When Carew doesn't play, we seem to be alot tighter as a team, score a couple less by also concede alot less and pick up more points.