Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Well Warks making a real fight of this. It would be a  HUGE bonus for Warks to stay up and send Lancs down. I have sometimes thought Warks have been slow to sign 'big name' players but is there a better spinner in the World, at this moment, than Jeetan Patel ! I see he has been nominated for the PCA player of the year. Should get it easily but bet the geezer at Essex gets it. (Graham Napier)  

Was thinking about it earlier, and I've not got much love for Yorkshire or Middlesex, so would like to see Somerset take the County Championship. Especially as my mate who got me my FA Cup Final tickets is a big Somerset fan. Although we did lose 4-0, so maybe I owe him some payback?! Hmmm... I hope no one wins it.

• Like 2

Yup, status should be wrapped up nicely before a spot of tea :) 

JEEEETAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!

Must say, again.. But I think Barker has been Bears' man of the season.  Both bat and ball, he's been brilliant.  Underrated and I couldn't believe it when Chris Wright had the nod in the One Day Cup final, although he didn't do too badly either :) 

His T20 form was a bit up and down in the few games he did play though.

• Like 1

Cheering on Somerset myself here, loved Trescothick when he was batting for England, for a one club man, at 40 winning a title with a team who've never won it before makes for a nice narrative :)

Failing that Middlesex, down with Yorkshire winning it again. 

God knows what they're doing at the moment, but working out nicely for Somerset so far :)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

All's well that ends well! Div. 1 safety assured (finishing 6th) and a trophy in the bank! Happy days.

Hmmm, masks a pretty poor season I think. Bears should have been competing up the top of the table to be honest. Nice to pick up a trophy, but need to be a lot better next season. Questions may be asked of Dougie Brown and Ian Bell.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Hmmm, masks a pretty poor season I think. Bears should have been competing up the top of the table to be honest. Nice to pick up a trophy, but need to be a lot better next season. Questions may be asked of Dougie Brown and Ian Bell.

I think that's harsh on both in all fairness.  Yes, we shouldn't be anywhere near relegation.  However, the weather really hasn't helped us this year.  Top order batting is something we need to address, particularly when Trotty isn't playing.  Now we've lost Chops, I imagine we'll have an interesting winter in that department.

Ian Bell has led ok by me.  His management in the OD games has been brilliant. 

Must do better in T20's however, we were poor in them.

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think that's harsh on both in all fairness.  Yes, we shouldn't be anywhere near relegation.  However, the weather really hasn't helped us this year.  Top order batting is something we need to address, particularly when Trotty isn't playing.  Now we've lost Chops, I imagine we'll have an interesting winter in that department.

Ian Bell has led ok by me.  His management in the OD games has been brilliant. 

Must do better in T20's however, we were poor in them.

Agree about Bell at One Day level, but maybe try someone else for the Championship? I think if you freed Bell up just to concentrate on batting, he'd benefit greatly.

I think Keaton Jennings in the number one batting target for next season. From what I've seen of him at Durham, I'd be very happy to take him on board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Agree about Bell at One Day level, but maybe try someone else for the Championship? I think if you freed Bell up just to concentrate on batting, he'd benefit greatly.

I think Keaton Jennings in the number one batting target for next season. From what I've seen of him at Durham, I'd be very happy to take him on board.

Jennings has signed a new contract with Durham I think, we were interested in him earlier this summer but he decided to stay there.

Apart from the OD Cup, this season has been pretty dreadful. Our form collapsed in the T20 and our batting has been abysmal for a majority of the CC Campaign.

We're obviously struggling financially, due to the repayments on the Pavillion etc. We will still be strapped for cash next year aswell, as we will have to pick up Bell's central contract for a year, although Woakes will now be getting a central contract so that should help ease the financial burden. Be interesting to see who we get to replace Chopra, Mellor is a decent back-up WK but not an opening batsman and Umeed seems to have disappeared. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Quite a few are knocking on a bit and there needs to be some rebuilding. I think it's harsh to really blame Belly or Dougie Bear. They have tried their socks off for the cause.

The Chopra thing has not helped, I suspect - I mean last year's captain has been kind of erased from the picture, and doing that is going to be disruptive, given he was and is a popular bloke. It's the 4 day cricket that's been the disappointment, and the batting has not been good enough. Only Ambrose and Trott can really feel satisfied with what they've done, there. The bowlers have all been decent.

Safe and a trophy is not too bad :)

• Like 1

Always win the trophies over league position.  History doesn't say yoy finished 2nd etc.  Trophies matter. 

I'm glad it turned out this way.  And Blandy, spot on.  Ambrose is another who's become absolutely undroppable, his WKing is great and he's been good with the willow in his hand this year.

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Always win the trophies over league position.  History doesn't say yoy finished 2nd etc.  Trophies matter. 

I'm glad it turned out this way.  And Blandy, spot on.  Ambrose is another who's become absolutely undroppable, his WKing is great and he's been good with the willow in his hand this year.

I agree to an extent, but you could also argue the odd trophy win helps to cover glaring deficiencies with our squad.

We have a real lack of any quality coming through our youth system and the majority of our senior and better players (Jeets, Trott, Ambrose, Bell) are approaching the end of career or away with England (Woakes).

However, it's not as easy as throwing money at the situation, mainly because we don't have any. Chopra leaving has freed up a bit of cash. as will Woakes making the step up from an incremental contract to a full central contract with England.But as alluded to earlier, next year we have to pay Bell his full England central contract, as he received one for 2015-2016 last September. With whatever is left in the kitty, Warwickshire need two opening batsman, a middle order batsman and possibly another quick bowler, although we have signed Olly Stone from Northants.

I would argue that Warwickshire have rested on their laurels for too long, with occasional trophies helping to paper over the cracks. The 2014 season was a one off, Trott was enjoying his last great season across all formats, Woakes wasn't getting picked by England regularly and Bell was available at the right times.

11 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

I agree to an extent, but you could also argue the odd trophy win helps to cover glaring deficiencies with our squad.

We have a real lack of any quality coming through our youth system and the majority of our senior and better players (Jeets, Trott, Ambrose, Bell) are approaching the end of career or away with England (Woakes).

However, it's not as easy as throwing money at the situation, mainly because we don't have any. Chopra leaving has freed up a bit of cash. as will Woakes making the step up from an incremental contract to a full central contract with England.But as alluded to earlier, next year we have to pay Bell his full England central contract, as he received one for 2015-2016 last September. With whatever is left in the kitty, Warwickshire need two opening batsman, a middle order batsman and possibly another quick bowler, although we have signed Olly Stone from Northants.

I would argue that Warwickshire have rested on their laurels for too long, with occasional trophies helping to paper over the cracks. The 2014 season was a one off, Trott was enjoying his last great season across all formats, Woakes wasn't getting picked by England regularly and Bell was available at the right times.

I agree.

However, with the pavilion costing what it is costing, you may have to forego a bit of time in which we achieve much, but it will pay for itself because it will help bring good cricketers, tests, finals days etc - all money.

After going to Lords, I actually think Edgbaston is the better stadium.  No restricted views, concourse is huge compared to lords, the concession stands are plentiful, we have easy access (ish) to motorways etc - all better than the 'home of cricket' (puke).

Long term i think is what I'm trying to say. :)  utb 

• Like 1

Â