Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

An innings and 244 runs.

Fair play to Moores*, Cook and the players for turning it around after Lord's.

It's a shame that it's one-dayers only between now and the caribbean next spring.

*Perhaps most plaudits for the odd word or two with groundsmen. :)

Edited by snowychap

Shocking by India, pathetic since Lords. However, credit to Cook and England they have played really well.

Woakes has been unlucky not to get more wickets and Jordan finished the series strongly aswell. Buttler has made the wicket keeping spot is own and will be the England wicket keeper for years to come. The only change I can possibly see when we play the Windies in April is maybe Robson being replaced.

Shocking by India, pathetic since Lords. However, credit to Cook and England they have played really well.

Woakes has been unlucky not to get more wickets and Jordan finished the series strongly aswell. Buttler has made the wicket keeping spot is own and will be the England wicket keeper for years to come. The only change I can possibly see when we play the Windies in April is maybe Robson being replaced.

Yes its a long time until the next test series. Now its the one dayers and build up for the world cup in Australia. Bet India do better do better in the odi series. Kohli will be a different player

• Like 2

As nice as it is to see England win, the lack of fight from India has detracted somewhat from the series. They really have been bad. I give some credit to England, and the bowlers, but India's batsmen just haven't shown up. Is this the death rattle of Indian test cricket? Are we going to see them produce batsmen up to the standard of Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman etc? I really hope so, but on the showing this Summer, they look like got work to do. 

• Like 3

I agree Dave. I think they have quality batsmen but they have no experience of English conditions, so unless the BCCI insist they play some county cricket or they change the scheduling so its not so compressed, allowing for some county games then nothing will change in the future. All those players you mentioned played county cricket. 

Its good for England that they turned the series around but just as I wasn't too depressed about our defeat to Sri Lanka, I'm not getting carried away by this win against  India . Theres still a lot of work to be done if we are going to regain the ashes next summer. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

I agree Dave. I think they have quality batsmen but they have no experience of English conditions, so unless the BCCI insist they play some county cricket or they change the scheduling so its not so compressed, allowing for some county games then nothing will change in the future. All those players you mentioned played county cricket.

Its good for England that they turned the series around but just as I wasn't too depressed about our defeat to Sri Lanka, I'm not getting carried away by this win against India . Theres still a lot of work to be done if we are going to regain the ashes next summer.

Spot on. Credit where it is due, but plenty of work still to do.

INdia had some fight but since the Jadeja/Anderson decision it looks like they just stopped playing as if some sort of injustice was done. Dhoni was only batsman who looked like trying and only so much he could do with players like Kohli around

Jim Troughton to retire - according to Evening Mail. Damn shame IMO but has suffered with injury for some time. Seem to remember him having a great knock with Ian Bell (B & H Final ?) some years ago when they were both young. Perhaps Paul C can correct or confirm. Fortunately , we seem to have a great replacement in Varun Chopra. Also , glad to see Laurie Evans has signed a contract extension.

Glad I don't have to choose the team for Saturday !!  

Jim Troughton to retire - according to Evening Mail. Damn shame IMO but has suffered with injury for some time. Seem to remember him having a great knock with Ian Bell (B & H Final ?) some years ago when they were both young. Perhaps Paul C can correct or confirm. Fortunately , we seem to have a great replacement in Varun Chopra. Also , glad to see Laurie Evans has signed a contract extension.

Glad I don't have to choose the team for Saturday !!  

Yes the end of an era for me. A big fan of Jim's since his early days. Designed his Benefit website for him last season.

http://www.jimtroughtonbenefit.co.uk

Many tributes from famous cricketers on there.

It was 2002 when Michael Powell was captain and a young Ian Bell and Jim Troughton played that partnership to win us the B&H. the highlight for me was a knock at Lords in 2005 when he made a hundred at faster than a run a ball. to set up a great chase...Captaining Warwickshire to the cc in 2012 must be the highlight of his career and I met him the day before he went to Buckingham palace to discuss designs for his website. Nice man. Humorous...

I'm delighted Laurie Evans has signed as I thought he might go back to Surrey. I hope he gets his place back in the 4 day side.

I will guess at the saturday 11, although I don't know whether Malik is returning

Chopra

Porterfield

Bell

Clarke

Evans

Ambrose

Javid/Malik

Woakes

Patel

OHD

Rankin/Gordon.

any other ideas? Gordon is a very good prospect. Has the look of a young Andy Roberts...

Big game tomorrow at Trent Bridge. So many permutations to decide who will get through to the quarters. A win we are definately through, a defeat we can still qualify but will come down to net run rate.

Who decided to put the Bears game fist on, on Saturday?! Surely they must have realised some people would want to watch the Villa game, or even give people the opportunity to get from VP to Edgbaston and watch both?! :angry:  

• Like 1

Â