Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Carberry may have been the topscorer but I wasn't convinced in the hour or so that I watched (I hope that he proves me wrong over the course of the series).

Looked great before lunch, then like he'd never held a cricket bat in his life, after. I think Trott getting out, with the last ball before lunch, set the tone really. They looked like they'd cruse to over 400 before that.

dont understand England reluctance to use Finn, Yes he goes for a lot of runs but he picks up wickets and usually crucial ones at that

I agree, but I think that's the least of our worries. We can take wickets, with or without Finn. It's scoring runs at the top of the order which has become the major concern. You'd not want anyone other than Cook and Trott at 1 & 3, 12 months ago, now they look woeful. Hopefully we'll see a similar second innings to 3 years ago at Brisbane, but I'll not hold my breath.

Edited by dAVe80

Trott has a problem with his technique doesn't he? Cook they have worked out his limited scoring areas and they block them off. KP is hit or  miss. I do think though we are lacking that third seamer because we could have had Australia out for under 180

Trott has a problem with his technique doesn't he? Cook they have worked out his limited scoring areas and they block them off. KP is hit or  miss. I do think though we are lacking that third seamer because we could have had Australia out for under 180

I hope the Bresnan will make an impact, if he comes back at some point. He's usually pretty tight, and takes wickets. Plus he adds to the tail, with the bat.

I hope the Bresnan will make an impact, if he comes back at some point. He's usually pretty tight, and takes wickets. Plus he adds to the tail, with the bat.

Yes but he's hardly a match winner. I'd rather they unleashed Rankin. He can bowl 90 mph and get extravagent bounce. Bresnan is much of the same low 80s

Trott was in much better form then and they also have Mitchell Johnson fired up so I don't think that's going to happen again. Cook and Bell maybe? KP

KP pisses me off immensely. He clearly has all the talent in the world and he should be able to play out a long innings. But with KP, his constant half arse shots and generally slogging mean those innings are too far apart. For every 158 vs Aus in 05 there will be a spell where he will get out for 10-20 for 3 test matches in a run. 

On Cook and Bell, Cook is in need of one big innings (like he was when we last when down under) and then he will probably go on a amazing run of form but the Aussies seem to have his number, especially Harris. With Bell, he quite clearly is the most inform batsmen in the England team and I think his first innings was a blip.

IMO, England need to change it up a bit in regards to the line up. Too many players seem to be too comfortable with their spots in the team and don't feel under any pressure and therefore when they do have a bit of a dip in form they don't feel they have to improve as quickly. (Kp, Trott, Prior and Swann come to mind).

Trott was in much better form then and they also have Mitchell Johnson fired up so I don't think that's going to happen again. Cook and Bell maybe? KP

KP pisses me off immensely. He clearly has all the talent in the world and he should be able to play out a long innings. But with KP, his constant half arse shots and generally slogging mean those innings are too far apart. For every 158 vs Aus in 05 there will be a spell where he will get out for 10-20 for 3 test matches in a run. 

On Cook and Bell, Cook is in need of one big innings (like he was when we last when down under) and then he will probably go on a amazing run of form but the Aussies seem to have his number, especially Harris. With Bell, he quite clearly is the most inform batsmen in the England team and I think his first innings was a blip.

IMO, England need to change it up a bit in regards to the line up. Too many players seem to be too comfortable with their spots in the team and don't feel under any pressure and therefore when they do have a bit of a dip in form they don't feel they have to improve as quickly. (Kp, Trott, Prior and Swann come to mind).

I agree with that but you cant really change much this series. We have Bairstow or Balance as backup and both are late middle order batsman. All the English media talk up KP but he only produces it spasmodically. They've done a good job on Cook but you would expect him to come good eventually even if it means he will score very slowly. Carberry did well

I would have said this test match is all over red rover but there seems to be some rain around in Brisbane according to Shane Warne.

This will be a thrilling series, England will bounce back I am sure.

This capitulation from England in the first innings, for me, isn't a fluke, it's been coming a while. The cracks have been there with England's batting all year round and frankly, the summer ashes has whitewashed over the failings in the batting lineup and form. I've been worried about this winter ashes since the end of the summer one. You could see that, despite coming away 3-0, Australia took huge encouragement from it and have improved. England haven't.  For so many players to dip form is worrying - Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Prior. Is there something wrong with the batting coaching? Are they putting too much emphasis on the fielding and bowling that they are neglecting the batting?! When four of the batsmen you rely on to give you good runs all struggle it really puts pressure on the bowlers to deliver. We may have won the ashes 3-0 in the summer but that was down to superb bowling and a superb hit of form from Ian Bell.

Â