Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

So, Cyanogen mod is dead* news of which seemed to break overnight on Xmas eve in the USA (announcement cynically timed to be lost in the ether?) which is probably really bad news if you've got a phone running Cyanogen OS like the OnePlus One or a range of the Wileyfox handsets. 

Cyanogen Inc., the company built around the CyanogenMod open source Android OS ROM project, declined a acquisition offer by Google two years ago as it sought a $1 billion valuation. Now, the company has shut down its namesake open source development project and all its related services. Defiant CyanogenMod developers have now seized the project and relaunched it under the name LineageOS.

On December 23, a Cyanogen Inc. spokesperson posted a notice on the company’s blog:

As part of the ongoing consolidation of Cyanogen, all services and Cyanogen-supported nightly builds will be discontinued no later than 12/31/16. The open source project and source code will remain available for anyone who wants to build CyanogenMod personally.

The move came just a week after the CyanogenMod development community released the final versions of CyanogenMod 13.0 and on the heels of the departure of Cyanogen Inc. co-founder and the founder of the development project itself, Steve “cyanogen” Kondik. The shutdown is essentially a death sentence for the CyanogenMod project, since the project’s infrastructure was supported by the services being shut down.

We'll see what the grassroots dev-people do with the forked OS. Leadership is important here as these projects have a tendency to include a bit of infighting after a while. If Kondik is in it might be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Nougat update rolling out for Oneplus 3 and 3T right now.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-4-0-n-ota-for-oneplus-3t.482897/

As always, this OTA will be incremental. The OTA will reach a small percentage of users today, and we'll begin a broader rollout in a few days.

Come on, come on, come on....

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

Just got Nougat, used Canada VPN. 

Love split screening, 3T does it with ease 'cus it's got so much grunt. A really useful feature. 

Ditto. I got to play with it while drinking :) I'm already used to the Nougat features from my Nexus 9 so this wasn't all new to me.

No issues. My phone feels slightly more responsive in the launcher but that easily be a bias or Nova using something only available in Nougat.

14 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

With the news about CyanogenMod is the One Plus 3T still a good buy? Also considering a Samsung Galaxy S7, but obviously that's more expensive to buy outright. Any other phones I should be looking at?

The oneplus doesn't run cyanogenmod.

21 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

Sorry think I got mixed up....I think earlier OnePlus models did though! Doh.....

So still the one to go for??

It's impossible to answer that without knowing about how you use a phone and what you expect of it.

Just the usual, music/podcasts, social media, photos, e-mail etc. I like the OnePlus 3T, but not decided fully yet as it seems large coming from a Nexus 4, which is slowly dying (very laggy now and no longer supported).

Will however be buying the phone, rather than getting on contract.

30 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

Just the usual, music/podcasts, social media, photos, e-mail etc. I like the OnePlus 3T, but not decided fully yet as it seems large coming from a Nexus 4, which is slowly dying (very laggy now and no longer supported).

Will however be buying the phone, rather than getting on contract.

In that case it will serve your needs well, but so would many budget phones.

I bought Samsung Galaxy J5 bought 12 months ago. 

A software update of 900mb is required, but the phone said not enough space. 

Cleared some stuff out and there is now 1.4GB of internal space.

But phone still refuses to update as it says not enough space. 

Had this issue for a month now, and still the same problem.

Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I bought Samsung Galaxy J5 bought 12 months ago. 

A software update of 900mb is required, but the phone said not enough space. 

Cleared some stuff out and there is now 1.4GB of internal space.

But phone still refuses to update as it says not enough space. 

Had this issue for a month now, and still the same problem.

Any ideas?

Same idea as always. Backup then factory reset.

Â