Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

That's not strictly true. Your carrier has to have a HSPA+ network, which I think only O2 and 3 have here in the UK. If you want my reasons for being excited about the Nexus 4 then just read my post history in this thread, I have stated many times why I think the Nexus line of phones is the way to go on Android, and in a years time when S3 owners are still waiting for Key Lime Pie (or whatever the next update will be) and feeling all abandoned because Samsung put out the S4, again, I will feel I made the right choice.

Sorry Rev but ironically for this thread I missed out IT from the first bit.

It should have read if your carrier supports IT the Nexus 4 will operate at a much faster data speed.

As you rightly say only O2 and 3 currently support it at this point, not sure if Tesco & Giffgaff will also support it as they piggyback of the O2 network. It will be interesting to get some real life figures from Nexus 4 owners to see how the 2 networks compare speed wise.

Totally agree with you on the update front, S2 owners got shafted by Samsung and in the same way S3 owners will too. Has the S3 had the 4.2 update yet?

8gb nexus 4 is now 'sold out' and the 16gb version is now stating a '6 to 7 week' wait. How many do they actually have to sell? Seven? Eight?

I heard 10.

The rest have gone to CPW and o2 to sell at the inflated price.

Can you use any wireless/usb keyboard and mouse combo with the nexus 10 tablet?

I can't imagine why not. You'll have the usual issues with things like the escape key though.

So if I get a keyboard, mouse and a desktop stand for the tablet, as I only need to browse, organise music/book/films etc... and use google docs to write stuff, in effect ive got myself a mini pc right?

Should my HTC One X have been updated to 4.1 by now? Phone is unlocked and I'm on Vodafone if it helps.

I got it via a slightly unusual route as it was a replacement from HTC after they f**ked up several repairs on my One S. I thought it had been rolled out on the One X but wondering whether this phone, from their repair centre (although they tell me it is brand new) might not get the update.

I wonder if Google will look at moving the Nexus announcement back next year to give themselves more time to get the handsets/tablets out for Xmas......

I see Three can now sell the Nexus 4 but bloody hell they are taking the piss with the contract ...£35 a month over two years (which of course is the most expensive tariff they offer. £25 a month sim only), plus a £29 one-off fee for the phone. £869.00 in total so they are pretty much just adding the cost of the phone onto the contract - no subsidy at all.

I wonder if Google will look at moving the Nexus announcement back next year to give themselves more time to get the handsets/tablets out for Xmas......

I see Three can now sell the Nexus 4 but bloody hell they are taking the piss with the contract ...£35 a month over two years (which of course is the most expensive tariff they offer. £25 a month sim only), plus a £29 one-off fee for the phone. £869.00 in total so they are pretty much just adding the cost of the phone onto the contract - no subsidy at all.

Let's face it, that's the real reason they are unavailable..... They have to support sales on O2 and 3 because they've given then exclusivity. Knocking them out SIM free undermining their supply partner doesn't help them at all.

Coincidence that this supply problem hasn't blighted the Nexus 7? No network providers to appease.....

Should my HTC One X have been updated to 4.1 by now? Phone is unlocked and I'm on Vodafone if it helps.

I got it via a slightly unusual route as it was a replacement from HTC after they f**ked up several repairs on my One S. I thought it had been rolled out on the One X but wondering whether this phone, from their repair centre (although they tell me it is brand new) might not get the update.

My mate hasn't got the update either and he's with Vodafone.

Let's face it, that's the real reason they are unavailable..... They have to support sales on O2 and 3 because they've given then exclusivity. Knocking them out SIM free undermining their supply partner doesn't help them at all.

Coincidence that this supply problem hasn't blighted the Nexus 7? No network providers to appease.....

But what about the wifi only nexus 10? No sign of any stock on the horizon. Plus isn't the nexus 7 now 3G enabled? So I don't think provider exclusivity has much to do with it really.

Â