Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Further up the previous page theres a clip i took from the orange site, its the san fran phone witht he same package I have through orange.

I got free phone, and pay £35 a month. 1200 mins, unlim text and data package,

But you can get the OSF for 100 quid with no contract. Do you want me to look for the most expensive way to buy an iPhone4? Yours is the cheapest deal I've come across by a mile. o2's price for that tariff for a 16GB phone is £40 + a £45 24 month deal which totals £1120 (or 3 wildfire's).

Please bear in mind that I used no effort to find the prices I quoted, both were from the first site I visited. I'm sure I could find the Wildfire cheaper.

You're really not comparing like for like here as to get that you have to have been an existing customer, and you've got to have got a retention deal.

As a new customer you don't get an iphone 4 free until you get a £50 24month contract.

Yet you're comparing your deal to a default tariff for another handset, you could have got a better deal on the san francisco if you wanted.

Odd discussing price, it's common knowledge that the iphone 4 is more expensive than any android handset. Why we waste pages on this?.just go to a phone site and look up galaxy s, then look up iphone 4.

In Ireland the galaxy s is the same cost as a 3GS, a phone almost two years old and six months from its retirement.

iPhones have the image and brand name, everyone knows what an iphone is. It's like when someone says walkman you know what they mean. In america xerox means to photocopy.

So when someone wants to get a smartphone the default thing to do is get an iphone, then we get cognitive dissonance afterward.

Further up the previous page theres a clip i took from the orange site, its the san fran phone witht he same package I have through orange.

But you can get the OSF for 100 quid with no contract. Do you want me to look for the most expensive way to buy an iPhone4? Yours is the cheapest deal I've come across by a mile. o2's price for that tariff for a 16GB phone is £40 + a £45 24 month deal which totals £1120 (or 3 wildfire's).

Please bear in mind that I used no effort to find the prices I quoted, both were from the first site I visited. I'm sure I could find the Wildfire cheaper.

Well that's the strangest rule of thumb for judging how good a phone is.....

I paid £79.00 Inc topup from Orange so that's makes it absolutely brilliant and the IPhone.......

Anyone had any experience with the Desire HD?

I'm on the lookout for a new phone at the moment, leaning towards an Android one, but finding a handset without something that pisses me off is proving bothersome. On the Desire HD for example, the shitty battery life is a massive barrier. Have the claims that it's battery life is shite been greatly exaggerated?

Since my Desire got Android 2.2, its battery has been superb. At the end of a full day someone played angry birds on it for 2h20.

Where have you heard the Desire HD has bad battery life? Is it just people extrapolating from the Desire and the battery's capacity? You could always get one and try it for 14 days.

Heard it from just reading about all around the internet. Reviews, youtube, forum comments and the like. Some people seem to think its ok once you run the battery in a couple of full charges but others claim you'll be lucky to get 12 hours out of it before it needs attention even with using a task manager.

Also, I'm with O2 at the moment (P&G) and learned today the **** aren't doing the Desire HD on anything (I'm after a contract) so if I go for the Desire HD, I'll be switching providers. Just hope its not too much hassle to keep my existing number.

You will have to let me know what you make of the Desire HD if you pick one up Sie. Its top of my list for the upgrade I'm due.

Taking your number to another network is a doddle btw, you just request your PAC and use it when it arrives. I found that if you do request it then your provider will do their utmost to keep you (if you are a contract customer at least) and offer all kinds of crazy deals.

Make sure you get it on 14day trial (I assume all the networks still do this - they have to do it for 7 days if you buy over the net). If you don't like the battery life, take it back. If you do, port your number.

You will have to let me know what you make of the Desire HD if you pick one up Sie. Its top of my list for the upgrade I'm due.

Taking your number to another network is a doddle btw, you just request your PAC and use it when it arrives. I found that if you do request it then your provider will do their utmost to keep you (if you are a contract customer at least) and offer all kinds of crazy deals.

Will do.

It's looking like I'll be going with Orange of Vodaphone. The rest either don't appear to stock Desire HDs or have shite coverage in my area - Three recently terminated their contract with whoever owns the local masts and so people on Three in my street are ****, my neighbour being one of them.

Any suggestions on good operators/tariffs nonetheless?

Since my Desire got Android 2.2, its battery has been superb. At the end of a full day someone played angry birds on it for 2h20.

Where have you heard the Desire HD has bad battery life? Is it just people extrapolating from the Desire and the battery's capacity? You could always get one and try it for 14 days.

My mate got one, he said they battery isn't the best. It's simply down to the small battery they have in it and nothing to do with the actual phone eating too much power. Reviewers have said the same thing. Still a crackin good phone.

I'm getting 4.3 inch screen for my next phone, since 95% of the time I use it for mobile internet.

Finally got it. I will now look down on your sorry hard-qwerty-less asses. Hail to the king baby!!!

Happy with it?

First impression is good, I bought it without testing so I'll have to use it for a bit first to get all the pros and cons :-)

Missing my tp2 5-row keyboard though but I didn't want to go win7.

Right, a few days under my belt. It's everything I need. Screen is big enough, bright enough, clear enough. Keyboard is excellent, just need to get used to buttonplacement as it differs quite a lot from the TP2. OS compared to win6.5? :lol: The keyboard is fixed solid to the phone in either folded or flipped out. (read some stories regarding "floppy" quality)

In many ways its the standard Desire on steroids and qwerty.

My own views on the networks:

Orange: The worst of the lot, decent GSM coverage but very poor 3G and terrible (apparently) customer service.

Vodafone: Mainly business network but not very good 3G coverage.

O2: Utterly awful data coverage. My mate didn't realise the G on his iPhone meant GPRS, he thought it meant 3G because he'd never seen 3G on O2.

T-Mobile: Superb. Get very strong HSPDA almost everywhere I go. No data cap (fair use only) and great online portal. Now they're merged with Orange you can use Orange networks too.

I was with Orange for years and went onto T-Mobile 2 years ago. I've been nothing but impressed. Many times I've used my phone as a wifi hotspot with 4 people connecting over my 3G heavily using data and it's been brilliant. Our work has changed from Vodafone to T-Mobile for dongles because of the difference in 3G performance. I always found it quite funny that whenever I'm sat on the train outside the O2 HQ in Slough, I have to let O2 users tether through my phone over T-Mobile 3G to get data.

To be fair to Sie every forum I have read about the Desire HD has had massive complaints. About battery life on it.....however after about ten days it starts to improve.

My own views on the networks:

Orange: The worst of the lot, decent GSM coverage but very poor 3G and terrible (apparently) customer service.

Cant say I have had any problem with Orange TBH. Been with them 10+ yrs now and would change happily if had problems. But never have.

Gents,

A friend has asked me about android tabs but I don't have a clue being an apple man :)

Can offer some advice on what to look out for/avoid etc..

My initial response was wait but said I would ask here

Thanks

Jim

Â