Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

We'll have to agree to disagree. Build quality will always have an element of the quality of material involved.

I don't think I once said it wasn't well made either. I just said it felt cheap. And the reason it felt cheap was the plastic. Thats all.

You do get a tad defensive about your phone ;).

Anywho... is there any word out there on the big early 2011 releases yet? I'm still torn between waiting to see what comes out post Christmas or taking the plunge now. I'd have figured that Jan releases would have had some whispers knocking around by now.

S2 I'd like more details on before I get too excited. Already my issue with materials appears to be returning, it looks like it's been crafted from the head of one of these

Fullview_Xenomorph.PNG

;)

Do you reckon it's significantly worthwhile waiting as opposed to taking the plunge with, for example, the Desire HD now?

Chindie, you should see me discussing horses, you think I defend my phone you want to see the essays I've written in defence of his greatness Kauto Star. Anyway it feels cheap to you but it certainly isn't is what I'm saying.

As for the Desire HD it's not a leap forward, so certainly not worth upgrading a Desire or Galaxy S to. Amoled would be the only screen tech used is there wasn't a shortage, while there is dual core processors around the corner. New year will bring loads of new phones

One thing that's great about the Galaxy S2 is that it's plastic, meaning it will be light for a 4.3 inch screen. The Desire HD is a beast of a phone, but way too heavy. I'm sure Samsung will have a super light phone again. The worst thing they could do is try to copy HTC. The only thing samsung need to do is put a camera flash in.

I think this well be my least phone until mid 2012 as I'm going traveling for a year in June next year.

Buy an iPhone. You know you want to.

Just call me Connor MK2

At least spell my name right :D

So this iphone sounds interesting. What's the best 4 inch screen iphone on the market?

Conner?

I typed that first then changed it.

The 4" screen market is soooo last year.

iPhones are the future you see.

Nobody spells it Connor or Conner unless they are American continuing the bastardisation of Irish names. It's Conor.

Also I think a 3.5inch screen is too small, I want a big screen so where's the big screen iphone? You'd think they'd give a bit of choice even if it's just two models. Four iphones four screens the same size.

What are people with big hands to do?

As for the Desire HD it's not a leap forward, so certainly not worth upgrading a Desire or Galaxy S to. Amoled would be the only screen tech used is there wasn't a shortage, while there is dual core processors around the corner. New year will bring loads of new phones

One thing that's great about the Galaxy S2 is that it's plastic, meaning it will be light for a 4.3 inch screen. The Desire HD is a beast of a phone, but way too heavy. I'm sure Samsung will have a super light phone again. The worst thing they could do is try to copy HTC. The only thing samsung need to do is put a camera flash in.

Surely the HD is an improvement on the Desire otherwise HTC have made a bit of a cock-up.

Dual core processors will bring what to the actual phone experience? better phone call quality, faster texting, better internet experience....(possibly I suppose). For what most people use an Android handset for Im not sure it will prove to provide that much of an improvement.

Mobile phones are not the same as PCs. You might buy a top specced PC to give you some kind of longevity but surely you only keep a phone 18 months 24 months tops - your handset should still be pretty current even by then.

I do like the Galaxy S but for as much as you champion the lightness, in my hands and in my view it does make it feel cheap. the Iphone, the Desire the Desire HD are heavier but are in no way too heavy or cumbersome - the only thing that would make me choose the Galaxy S over the Desire is the screen and that isnt enough to sway me that way at the moment.

I'm looking at swapping my iPhone 4 for the SGS or the Desire as I want to get back into customising my handset which isn't possible on the IPhone. SGS has probably the better specs but Desire better quality and probably better support going forward.

Turncoat :lol:

Would anyone be so kind as to answer a question from someone who cant be arsed to trawl through 40 odd pages.

What is the latest with Swype? Is there an update available or can it be bought?

It takes all day to write anything without it :cry:

Nobody spells it Connor or Conner unless they are American continuing the bastardisation of Irish names. It's Conor.

Also I think a 3.5inch screen is too small, I want a big screen so where's the big screen iphone? You'd think they'd give a bit of choice even if it's just two models. Four iphones four screens the same size.

What are people with big hands to do?

Ive got big hands and manage just fine, I dont really see that an extra half inch screen makes that much difference really.

Finally got it. I will now look down on your sorry hard-qwerty-less asses. Hail to the king baby!!!

Happy with it?

It's the phone I should have really, as the natural evolution of the G1 which was the best phone around for a long time.

I played with one of these the other day. I was really impressed with the live wallpaper performance. I couldn't bother it with pinch-scrolling, swipe scrolling, opening and closing the app drawer etc. at any time.

The guy did have it overclocked to a claimed 1.7Ghz but even if it was running at that, it will be the same as the SGS 2Ghz overclock - the phone thinks it's running at that speed but is actually running at normal speed but thinks time is running slower. It was quite amusing when they realised.

Only problem was it was a bit heavy, but then any phone feels heavy to me these days.

Screen was the same as the Desire i.e. not very impressive I'm afraid.

But the linpack and Quadrant scores from these new Snapdragons are brilliant. I think we've finally settled which is better (for JIT at least) out of Hummingbird and Snapdragon.

I'm looking at swapping my iPhone 4 for the SGS or the Desire as I want to get back into customising my handset which isn't possible on the IPhone. SGS has probably the better specs but Desire better quality and probably better support going forward.

Customising in what way? What cant you do on the iPhone?

Well mykeyb dual core processors will help power consumption as one core will be shut down when not needed. Also it will help with multitasking, you're used to iphones where they limit what you do to mean it never lags.

But with android you can do what you the user wants to do. So if I want to run lots of things at the same time I'll get better performance with a dual core. Basically the phones performance will remain high even with newer versions of android.

Also I'm done with defending the galaxy s being made with plastic. You'd swear we were being a coffee table or something. Galaxy S has the 4 inch super amoled screen that alone makes it vastly superior to the Desire. It has the wow factor.

Also the Desire HD is a different size to the Desire it is not its replacement. It has faster cpu etc but no next gen stuff. It's still slower than the Galaxy S.

But obviously you are the only one who knows which phone is best for you, if you want to hold it turned off and admire the weight, the Desire wins, if you want to use it, as in with the touch screen then Galaxy S wins, simple. :D

Finally got it. I will now look down on your sorry hard-qwerty-less asses. Hail to the king baby!!!

Happy with it?

First impression is good, I bought it without testing so I'll have to use it for a bit first to get all the pros and cons :-)

Missing my tp2 5-row keyboard though but I didn't want to go win7.

Such an iphone user thing to ask :D

It would take all week to tell you. Basically there is absolutely endless things you can do with Android that you can't do with an iphone.

Such an iphone user thing to ask :D

It would take all week to tell you. Basically there is absolutely endless things you can do with Android that you can't do with an iphone.

and likewise im sure theres lots iPhones do that android doesnt.

But I dont understand the customising comment? In what way? just askin

Really? Deep breath (and you may have to correct me on a few of these as it seems iOS 4 has sorted some stuff out)

Change the launcher, just install from the market.

The input method (e.g. you can use any bluetooth HID, install any different keyboard you want etc.)

Widgets

Live wallpapers

Any apps from anywhere (download from a web site and install the APK as you would an exe in Windows)

Separate desktop and app menu.

Built-in wifi / bluetook tethering (yes it is a big deal)

GPS turn by turn nav

Integrated search with locations, nav, dialer, contacts etc.

External SD

Non-reliance on iTunes

SD as removable drive

No activation

I could go on. Let me know if you want more.

Â