Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

An Android question.

Going back to my days of using a Windows Mobile Phone you could set up the times you wanted the phone to check for emails ie from 8.00am to 10.00pm the stop. This allows you to have you phone by your bed at night without it pinging everytime an emails arrives.

There is no such option on the Apple handset so does it exist on Android

Check for emails Can't remember the last time I checked for emails. Probably about 1796.

I know its so yesterday isnt it. Unfortunately way back then it was either that or pay a considerable price for a microsoft exchange mailbox.

Since we now all use push email will the tasker app stop it receiving emails or set the phone to silent between say midnight and 6.00am as neither is an option for the Iphone.

Tasker basically lets you pre program your phone to do things given a situation or input.

For example I have my phone switch to airplane mode from midnight to half seven every weekday as I do not want to be disturbed at night. You could simply have it turn off auto sync, and mobile data so you can still get calls and texts.

I also have it set my phone on silent on weekdays during work hours. Also I have it turn off power draining things as my battery hits certain levels, so in the end only 2g networks and min brightness are left when my battery is critical.

Basically any input you can think of can have a programmed action take place. It's amazingly handy.

Didn't want to start a new thread so thought i'd put it in here. Does anyone have an information on when the google tablet is being released and how much it's likely to cost?

What google tablet? Google aren't making their own tablet.

There's a fair few tablets running android. I'd hold off though until android has proper tablet support though, anything with a screen over 7 inches doesn't have access to the android marketplace. Wait for 3.0 when tablets should be properly supported, and you'll see prices drop dramatically imo.

This one?

Tasker basically lets you pre program your phone to do things given a situation or input.

For example I have my phone switch to airplane mode from midnight to half seven every weekday as I do not want to be disturbed at night. You could simply have it turn off auto sync, and mobile data so you can still get calls and texts.

I also have it set my phone on silent on weekdays during work hours. Also I have it turn off power draining things as my battery hits certain levels, so in the end only 2g networks and min brightness are left when my battery is critical.

Basically any input you can think of can have a programmed action take place. It's amazingly handy.

That does sound pretty cool.

If it's the Desire HD ad, it's probably part of the new version of sense.

There's plenty of apps that can do the same though, wavesecure is a subscription app that lets you backup, wipe, track, lock, and get it to ring remotely.

I didn't notice which handset it was. I'll keep my eyes open, but sky+ means I rarely see ads :-)

I'll take a look at that one, but I'm just after something like a tasker remote which will let me change modes, or even just something that will receive a text and turn silent mode off.

What's the app from the HTC ad which makes your phone ring from your PC even if the phone is on silent?

It's HTCs new Sense thing, it's been pushed out with the Desire Z and HD. When it works, it has some very nifty features - you can locate your phones location via it's GPS, leave a message on it in case someone finds it if it's lost, completely lock down the phone if you can't get it back remotely, set it up to forward calls to another number... very cool and useful.

Sadly it's had some teething problems so far, but they shoul get ironed out in which case I suspect it'll be very useful.

If it's the Desire HD ad, it's probably part of the new version of sense.

There's plenty of apps that can do the same though, wavesecure is a subscription app that lets you backup, wipe, track, lock, and get it to ring remotely.

Samsung provides the same feature for free on the Galaxy S and Wave, I have it set up. Never used it though. But it is very handy to be able to wipe the phone remotely.

Typical of Samsung, like half of the features of the Galaxy S, they never advertised it.

I think I'll stick to Swype. That looks incredibly complex for something that they announce after complaining that the standard keyboard on a phone requires constant attention.

It's simple, just has a steep learning curve.

You're going to memorise the layout before it becomes useful.

The idea behind it is once you've learnt the layout you can blind type with ease, something that is lacking on other touch screen keyboards.

I think I'll stick to Swype. That looks incredibly complex for something that they announce after complaining that the standard keyboard on a phone requires constant attention.

It's simple, just has a steep learning curve.

You're going to memorise the layout before it becomes useful.

The idea behind it is once you've learnt the layout you can blind type with ease, something that is lacking on other touch screen keyboards.

My mate has downloaded it and I'll leave it up to him if it's better than Swype or not.

I've been playing with it a bit, when you know where the letters are it's quite fast, not as fast as swype as there's so much finger movement, but still fast. You could blind type on it quite easily, but I dunno if it's something that I'd actually use that much. Too much movement to get some of the letters, you could swype an entire word before you've got to some of the letters.

Â