Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Just popping in for some more of your excellent advice guys. I think I'm in line for a fairly serious and cheap upgrade and I'm wondering what the best android smartphone is at present? I currently have my original HTC Desire S which is still fine but is clearly nowhere near as fast as the more recent stuff (this only became apparent recently after a play on a more modern phone).

I'm thinking Galaxy S4 or Note 2 and to be honest I don't mind the size of the Note because I wouldn't typically be bringing it on nights out where it might be cumbersome. Thoughts as usual muchly appreciated.

Off contract, Nexus 4 is best value at the moment, but there'll be a nexus 5 coming out november ish.

On contract? S4 or Note 2 (There's a Note 3 in the works too) as you suggest. I'd put the HTC one up there for consideration too.

It looks like I'm entitled to an upgrade to any of them for €49. I'm reading up on them at the mo' and it looks like the S4 pisses all over the Note 2. I'll take a look at the HTC One.

It looks like I'm entitled to an upgrade to any of them for €49. I'm reading up on them at the mo' and it looks like the S4 pisses all over the Note 2. I'll take a look at the HTC One.

Yep, the Note 3 will be announced september 4th I think. The 2 is Galaxy S3 hardware. Wait for the Note 3 or go S4/One

Just popping in for some more of your excellent advice guys. I think I'm in line for a fairly serious and cheap upgrade and I'm wondering what the best android smartphone is at present? I currently have my original HTC Desire S which is still fine but is clearly nowhere near as fast as the more recent stuff (this only became apparent recently after a play on a more modern phone).

I'm thinking Galaxy S4 or Note 2 and to be honest I don't mind the size of the Note because I wouldn't typically be bringing it on nights out where it might be cumbersome. Thoughts as usual muchly appreciated.

Wait until the note 3 is announced before making your decision. That would be better to compare to the s4.

First bit of advice Brian is to get off contract subsidised phone plans. Get on a monthly rolling and treat the phone separate from the plan. This way you are not locked into these upgrade cycles and can upgrade your phone when you feel like it. Like when you'd get a new laptop isn't linked to your broadband connection.

But as for phone choices. The Note 3 will be out in a couple of weeks. The S4 came out just over 3 months ago. The HTC One is also worth considering.

I wouldn't advise getting a Nexus 4 unless you go buy a 2nd hand one to sell on when Nexus 5 comes out in late October / early November. But the Nexus is an off contract device so you'd need to be paying a 250 quid up front.

It's a company phone so the plan doesn't concern me tbh but I'll bear that in mind if and when it ever does happen. Once I get clearance for the upgrade (hopefully next Monday) I'll have to upgrade asap (before one of the myriad of managers decide to change their mind). Having compared the spec of the S4 and the One I'm gonna go for the S4 unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't. It means me moving across from HTC but other than the re-arrangement of the buttons beneath the screen I imagine the transition will be seemless.

I suggest you go and try a phone running Touchwiz if you've only used Sense. You are going to be lumbered with it for two(?) years after all and it really comes down to personal choice.

• Like 1

I personally like Touchwiz. It's better than stock imo. 

But Brian do you really care enough about the actual software to dislike little things? The reality is HTC Sense, Touchwiz and Stock are all at such a mature stage that there is nothing even near the problems associated with the OS there were back a year or two ago pre 4.1

Anyway, since you have to get an upgrade as it's a work phone the Nexus is out. If you like the size of the Note 2 then you'll probably love the Note 3 as it'll be proper cutting edge stuff and more refined. 

The camera on the S4 is utterly fantastic. I mean it's quality actually makes me take more photos. The Note 3 will have a similar and probably slightly better camera though plus proper 2 day battery. 

The HTC One is a gorgeous looking phone, you're used to HTC too, but this version of Sense is a long way from what it is on your current phone.

Anyway, you've 3 choices. Galaxy S4, HTC One or wait 5/6 weeks and get a Note 3. 

The reality of it is you can't go wrong with any of them. We're that advanced in the Android evolution that the phones are exceptional. 

• Like 2

Good thing is that now Sony and LG have caught up there will probably be real choice of phones next year. Spoilt for choice.

I'd love to give Sony another try. I've always liked Sony. Suppose that's as I grew up in the 80 & 90s

That's not good dodgy, in fact that's put me right off Samsung completely tbh, I had my heart set on a note 3 too as my next phone :/

My experience is that all of my Samsung phones have been unbelievably reliable. My galaxy s, s2, nexus s, galaxy nexus have all been dragged through rainstorms, dropped, sweated on, overclocked, overused as a torch and all have stood up to it.

Any worry that Samsung or the retailer would try to get out of servicing the warranty is always negated by buying a nexus direct from Google, who have excellent customer support.

Question, I need to add another Gmail/Google account so I can upload videos to a different Youtube a/c than my personal one, I have tried adding this account but it does not show up in the settings and I cannot access this second a/c or upload youtube videos to it. Or, is there any way to do this through the Youtube app?

EDIT.

It is actually in the Google settings, but I cannot choose what Youtube account to upload to.

Edited by dodgyknees

Â