Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

The new Nexus 7 tablet looks lovely, the Chromecast dongle leaves me wishing I had more HDMI sockets in my TV but of most interest to me, Android 4.3 is rolling out to Nexus devices this week! 

The 4.3 rollout happens over the course of a week or so, perhaps even longer. So no, not all at the same time.

Where did you get those prices mykeyb?

No interest in 7 inch tablet it's too small. 8 inches is the right size for 16:9 aspect ratio.

I'd rather a 6.3 inch galaxy Mega or a non existant slim 8 inch tablet. I'll probably buy the former from eBay soon enough.

But if you like the 7 inch size then the new Nexus looks great. Must turn on the Nexus 4 this evening and get 4.3 even though no features of any use have been added.

The 4.3 rollout happens over the course of a week or so, perhaps even longer. So no, not all at the same time.

Where did you get those prices mykeyb?

It has also been confirmed that the 4G model will also be coming to the UK in the next few weeks, priced at £299.

The prices of both the 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi models had been leaked by PC World, which also posted a UK street date of 13 September on its retail site's web pages, costing £199 and £239 respectively. But those who travel more and are willing to hook up to a data plan can now rest safe in the knowledge that the mobile data version is also coming over here.

Features that are of interest I mean. 4.2 added nothing of interest. 4.3 added nothing of interest.

To be honest I just want big screen, long battery and good camera. Software has been fine since 4.1

The software that matters are the apps I use. WhatsApp, Google hangouts, maps, Gmail, Dropbox. They're all updated separately from the os. The days of OS updates making a big difference are behind us now.

Gonna sound silly but the thing that puts me off a lot of these devices is the massive bezel design. Ruined the HTC one for me and spoils what looks like a great tablet in the new nexus 7.

I really think you need a large bezel on a smaller tablet. You need somewhere to hold it and it's a big failing of the iPad mini that the screen is where you need to hold it.

Phones I agree.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't think of that with regards to smaller tablets to be honest, makes sense now that you've pointed it out.

Edited by Ingram85

One thing I've noticed with the Galaxy Nexus on 4.3 is that with the screen off it appears to use approximately no power whatsoever. It was at 4% at roughly 8pm. It's still on now at 2%.

• Like 1

I would have ordered the Edge at the "early bird" price, but I missed it. I'm now thinking it over at the higher price.

I'm playing with some edge of screen launchers at the moment and I quite like some of them Swipepad and Swapps at the moment. Completely different concepts, but both have some neat features. I'm back to an incredibly uncluttered home screen (three widgets).

Â