Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

Earlier Today I was roaming around on my horse. I went through the train tunnel, when I came out the end I went up the hill above the tunnel. It all went a bit quiet and eery... then my horse got shot in the head :? ... (I assume it was a shot to the head.. it was a "whoosh" sound, then he fell down dead)...

I don't know what happened!

But I lost my favourite horse :( now I have some shitty looking one with the patchy markings of a cow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Struggling to shoot hats of heads without blowing the brains out, any tips? I seem to have fluked one but wondering if the is a trick to it?

Don't do the 'lock on' style targetting in Dead Eye - i.e. the one where it puts a little cross where you've aimed, you'll always get a headshot when aiming for the hat if you do. You've got to aim manually to hit the hat.

Aim for the rim of the hat if you can.

Try doing it in Mexico. The sombrero wearers give you a much bigger target to aim for. Wear a bandana if you're concerned about honour.

EDIT - Theres a gang that wears big hats as well, they're easier to hit as well, can't quite remember which but they stand out pretty easily, top hat style stuff.

i've bought this game....played it a little bit and just cannot get into it. I've taken that bird to the shops in town and she's left me there.

How do I get into properly.....any tips? Feel awful as everyone is saying it's amazing etc and I just dont get it. I do find the only games i can play these days are pick up and play ones like fifa etc....whats my problem?!

Take your time with it. Get Bonnies missions done, then go off into the world and enjoy it. I spent my first couple of days basically slaughtering anything that moved in the opening areas. I'll be surprised if it doesn't grab you eventually.

The game surprised me earlier with one of those random little moments. I was wandering fairly aimlessly around Great Plains, just by the Serendipity, when I came across a bloke kneeling on the ground. Then I noticed he was kneeling over a body. I wondered what the hell was going on when he pulled a gun and shot himself in the head.

Hit the side/rim of the hat, don't try to hit the top of it.

And Rob, where is the train tunnel? :?

It's where the train track goes along the top of the map - either near the top of Gaptooth Ridge or the top of Cholla Springs.

The train track goes up onto a bridge and then into a tunnel. I rode my horse down it (it's pitch black) then when I came out of the other end I did a 180 and went up on a hill above the tunnel.

EDIT: I was just on a Red Dead forum and someone has said the tunnel is between Armadillo and Macfarlane's Ranch.

Just finished this this afternoon myself.

One of the best games I've ever played.

Was not expecting the final hour or so at all. With Dutch done I was expecting the game to wind up, the ranching really threw me for a while. The pacing also goes slightly out with the missions - the relationships, developed entirely during cut scenes for missions, feel rushed simply by the pace you work your way through them. For instance, Jack's relationship with John develops at a bizzare pace if you choose to do his missions back to back.

I can't say I'm too happy with having to play out the game as Jack, it makes sense, but John as a character was one of the first I can say I genuinely thought was believable wholeheartedly, accepting for the usual gimmickery of any game. You have a connection with John, Jack just isn't that same character and the fact you have him more or less foisted on you doesn't help.

However, the ending asides from that, with the betrayal and penetence of John Marston is fantastic. The ending shootout, as John is given the chance to face his fate, is well done.

The... epilogue, I guess, of Jack going to avenge his father is a nice touch. But I still think it's hard to really care about him as a character.

But regardless, truly a favourite. It's polished to a mirror shine, the game is fun, enthralling, beautiful, atmospheric to a degree unknown in open world games to my knowledge. The little touches it has, like the important pieces of incidental song, particularly 'Faraway', mark it out. It's brilliant. I'm almost sad to finish it.

Brilliant. You owe it to yourself to savour this game.

I'm very close to finishing this now, and I really don't want to. Games like this are ridiculously good value for money aren't they?

Not sure if you played Saints Row II Mart. But If not, it's well worth picking up.

Did you play GTA IV Risso?

I've borrowed it from a lad in the office, and started it a while back, but didn't get into it much. I'll go back to it when I'm totally done with RDR, although that may be some time, as I want to do all the challenges, get every outfit and probably just ride around shooting stuff.

And no Si, haven't played Saints Row, what sort of game is it?

It's an open world sandbox game like GTA/RDR. For me, it was miles better than GTA IV. Much more fun and the co-op multiplayer was an absolute hoot (as i'm sure Sie will attest too)

Saints Row II

Isn't there a co-op mode out for RDR? I'll have a crack on that with you if it is Si.

Aye, I downloaded the new co-op content the other day, haven't had time to try it yet. Supposed to be nice and tough too.

It's an open world sandbox game like GTA/RDR. For me, it was miles better than GTA IV. Much more fun and the co-op multiplayer was an absolute hoot (as i'm sure Sie will attest too)

Saints Row II

Aye. It doesn't have the production values or polish of GTAIV but it's an absolute riot in co-op, packing an over the top fun factor that GTAIV seemed to lack because it was too busy trying to be brooding and serious.

I can't wait to play when I get home!! (also - hoping that my headset has arrived!)

I've just got the "I" on the map for Irish's missions. I was going to do one of them but I got waylaid and I'm in the middle of the challenge to get boar tusks and armadillo shells ("carapaces"?)

Â