The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Nope. It is purely a business decision, it's why Siri has to be connected to the internet even for things it can process locally. Apple's servers verify that the request is coming from a 4s rather than an iPhone 4 before they process it.

Nope. It is purely a business decision, it's why Siri has to be connected to the internet even for things it can process locally. Apple's servers verify that the request is coming from a 4s rather than an iPhone 4 before they process it.

Makes sense because if you allow it on the 4 then the 4S only has an improved cpu and camera (at the possible expense of some battery life) over the 4. The cpu improvements will not be noticeable until well into next year meaning after you can get an iphone 5.

I read somewhere that Jailbreak might somehow mask that it comes from a 4 to allow it. But as the 5.0 JB isnt out yet who knows.

There is a tethered JB for iOS 5.0. See www.jailbreakmatrix.com for details.

Yeh I did one the day it was released, it was shit though. Have you tried this one?

I read somewhere that Jailbreak might somehow mask that it comes from a 4 to allow it. But as the 5.0 JB isnt out yet who knows.

There is a tethered JB for iOS 5.0. See www.jailbreakmatrix.com for details.

Yeh I did one the day it was released, it was shit though. Have you tried this one?

Not yet, I'm gonna do it on Saturday. Yes, that's how sad I am. I am planning my weekend around rugby and jailbreaking my phone. :(

Yep. Actually did a thethered JB on 5.0.1. Seems ok so far.

One glitch is that if I receive a message while the messages app is open, it causes a respring into safe mode. Apart from that, I like it. The tethered JB is uncomfortable because if the need to tether in order to reboot after certain Cydia apps install but, apart from that, seems ok.

UTB

thats what i didnt do i thought it was pointless its almsot an identical phone. what a con

A con? That's a bit strong.. It's a minor spec upgrade to the iP4, hence its the iP4s. Similarly, the iP3G to iP3Gs wasn't a huge increase in spec.

If people research it properly, like you did, they realise it's not a huge leap in functionality. If people don't research it and simply upgrade from 4 to 4S because it's new and shiny and they're impressed by the marketing of it, then more fool them. But it's still not a con.

fair points gaz but when i say con i menat in terms of the update being small and the amount apple want from certain network providers for an upgrade for what it actually is, is a con. not value for money

they could have updated it further but will wait until the 5 comes out so they can generate more money from people

fair points gaz but when i say con i menat in terms of the update being small and the amount apple want from certain network providers for an upgrade for what it actually is, is a con. not value for money

they could have updated it further but will wait until the 5 comes out so they can generate more money from people

Upgrade is the wrong term. It's a new phone. Thus it costs the amount of money that you would expect for a new phone of that spec.

New customers will decide whether it's worth the money for a new phone. Existing users will decide whether it's worth the money for an incremental improvement on what they already have.

Apple aren't forcing you to buy it, therefore it's not a con regardless of the price of it.

Yes, the absolutely could have updated it further. The fact that they didn't do that is exactly the same decision that they made when moving from 3G to 3GS. The 4S caters to a market of people who want a new phone now but who think that maybe the iP4 is a bit dated. I'm an iP4 user and I'm 9 months into a 24 month contract. Apple aren't trying to con me; they're offering a slightly improved phone. I can take it or leave it, so I decided to leave it and wait until my contract runs down a bit more by which time maybe an iP5 will exist.

If you choose to part with £500 of your hard-earned for the iP4S to replace an iP4, you're not being conned. You're getting exactly what they're saying you'll get. There's no deception involved.

Â