The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Just save the money you would of been spending on your contract to buy the iphone 5 unlocked.

That will be how much though £400-£500!

It's clearly not exactly the same, unless your only only bothered about how it looks externally?

my mate has it MG. the only difference is you talk and it does the action. the speed isnt much faster than the iphone 4. certainly not worth it. teh 5 i reckon ill be a much better upgrade

You mean apart from the significantly improved camera and 1080p video camera?

Ok.

That's only if you care that much about the camera. Not that many people will. I was happy with a 5mp camera on my last phone despite my current one being an 8mp one with 1080p.

I certainly wouldn't even entertain the thought of upgrading my phone if a newer model only improved the processor and camera and that's it.

Apple have made a business on the back of looks, people want a new looking phone. Especially apple fans. So the fact the new iphone looks the exact same is a big factor. As it should be.

Just save the money you would of been spending on your contract to buy the iphone 5 unlocked.

Yes but sim free is the way forward as you can then carry on paying half price.

So say you save £200 over the next 12 months, buy the iphone 5 for £500. Outlay of £300, then you'll still be saving another 12 months on sim free so another £200. So techinically the phone's cost you £100.

Then you can sell that phone still for around £250 and carry on. It works out cheaper in the long run. Or you can just double you're contract again and be out of pocket.

It's clearly not exactly the same, unless your only only bothered about how it looks externally?

my mate has it MG. the only difference is you talk and it does the action. the speed isnt much faster than the iphone 4. certainly not worth it. teh 5 i reckon ill be a much better upgrade

You mean apart from the significantly improved camera and 1080p video camera?

Ok.

That's only if you care that much about the camera. Not that many people will. I was happy with a 5mp camera on my last phone despite my current one being an 8mp one with 1080p.

I certainly wouldn't even entertain the thought of upgrading my phone if a newer model only improved the processor and camera and that's it.

Apple have made a business on the back of looks, people want a new looking phone. Especially apple fans. So the fact the new iphone looks the exact same is a big factor. As it should be.

Yup it's been a complete flop. :lol:

The fact that it hasn't been a flop doesn't mean anything. Most people buy Apple products for the brand and the look.

Most people who care about (and want) the best technology wouldn't touch an iPhone, unless of course they are basing it on looks alone.

That's not to say that iPhones are useless by the way. I had the 3GS and it did everything I needed it to do and more. Personally though I refuse to pay a premium for an average product in a flashy shell in the future. Each to their own and all...

Did I say it was a flop? Most people who will buy the 4S are at the end of their 3GS contract or apple fans who will always buy the latest handset.

What I was saying is that for many non die hard apple fans there is little reason to upgrade from the iphone 4 unless a phones camera is that important to you. (and if it was you'd never have owned an iphone in the first place).

I think many iphone 4 owners have said as much and most reviews I've read say the same too. The upgrade is simply not worth it if you own an iphone 4 already.

The upgrade is simply not worth it if you own an iphone 4 already.

Agree with this.

Much the same as when the 3GS came out. If you had a 3G the upgrade wasn't really worth it, especially when a better one would be out in a year.

I'm amused by how many people are so annoyed by the update not being better.

You don't HAVE to buy it. It just means that people who don't have an iPhone 4 already have a better option if they choose to upgrade to one.

Much like when they give a make of car a facelift. You don't have to buy the facelift one if you have the old one. It's just a better option for people to buy if they want.

The reminders feature in IOS 5 is awesome. You can set a location based reminder that when you leave (or arrive!) to / from a location your phone will bleep and remind you that you need to phone your partner, or whatever. Great little addition.

I still don't really get / like imessage but then if you have an inclusive text plan it's just pointless really. Unless you have no phone signal and only wifi or something. Or another apple device that isn't cellular I suppose.

Other than reminders, I'm not really sure what I like on IOS 5. What little improvements do you guys like that I might not have discovered?

What I was saying is that for many non die hard apple fans there is little reason to upgrade from the iphone 4 unless a phones camera is that important to you. (and if it was you'd never have owned an iphone in the first place).

I think many iphone 4 owners have said as much and most reviews I've read say the same too. The upgrade is simply not worth it if you own an iphone 4 already

Completely agree. i know alot of people like this, and I am one of them CV

Yeh the reminders is much more useful than I expected. I already use it a lot.

Is iMessage automatic if the other person has iOS5 too? I was messaging someone the other day using it but have no idea how, I thought I was sending a text

Is iMessage automatic if the other person has iOS5 too? I was messaging someone the other day using it but have no idea how, I thought I was sending a text

Yes it is. When you open a text window with someone, if they have a device running IOS5 it will display 'iMessage' greyed out in the text box, if not it will display 'Text Message'

iMessages you send are displayed in Blue, texts in Green.

So you have to keep gps on to use the location. So it's not really that useful. I never use the feature. If you could let it get its location from a mast then it would be useful as then you could set the mast near work to be you in work.

To be honest I've never really found the location the feature of much use with locale or tasker as gps is always off unless I'm using google navigation.

I'm not really sure what I like on IOS 5. What little improvements do you guys like that I might not have discovered?
Deleting songs directly from the iPhone/Pod. Discovered by accident. The volume button for the camera click, twitter is much better - send photos to twitter with just one action. Multiple twitter accounts from the one app - loads of stuff has made it more user friendly still, IMO. Oh and remote syncing of iPods and phones via iTunes and the locked screen options - direct to camera or to pause play etc....

So you have to keep gps on to use the location. So it's not really that useful. I never use the feature. If you could let it get its location from a mast then it would be useful as then you could set the mast near work to be you in work.

To be honest I've never really found the location the feature of much use with locale or tasker as gps is always off unless I'm using google navigation.

Why is it not useful?

I've used it a bunch of times and it's been pretty useful for me!

That doesn't make it not useful.

It makes it slightly inconvenient as it'll use more battery. But no less useful.

I haven't noticed any significant increase in battery usage though. It's 1 pm and I have 85% battery left. Thats' about normal for the amount I use it.

As I said, there maybe an option to use masts, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm sure Android do it much better and therefore the iPhone version is shit.

Â