The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

I don't come into this thread as much as i used to because any decent discussion gets over-taken with android talk and then lost. I find it boring, not because I am an apple fan but because I want to talk about apps, the future of the phone and so on. I don't go into an Xbox thread and spout about PS3 or vice versa. Its obsessive.

I don't come into this thread as much as i used to because any decent discussion gets over-taken with android talk and then lost. I find it boring, not because I am an apple fan but because I want to talk about apps, the future of the phone and so on. I don't go into an Xbox thread and spout about PS3 or vice versa. Its obsessive.

use the iPhone only thread...

shouldnt have problems then!

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mention the alarm bug which has affected iOS 4 phone users for the last three days. example link

Non-repeating alarms have simply not been working. Apple have said that the problem will be patched today (as long as you aren't jail broken of course).

I'd expect that when they (finally) fixed the alarm problems from the end of daylight savings that they would test that they hadn't introduced new bugs.

This isn't an anti-Apple rant, I'd feel the same wherever I saw such a piss poor ability to test.

BTW, other alarm apps worked fine, so this wasn't a phone/OS problem, just a lack of testing in an alarm app.

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has mention the alarm bug which has affected iOS 4 phone users for the last three days. example link

Non-repeating alarms have simply not been working. Apple have said that the problem will be patched today (as long as you aren't jail broken of course).

I'd expect that when they (finally) fixed the alarm problems from the end of daylight savings that they would test that they hadn't introduced new bugs.

BTW, other alarm apps worked fine, so this wasn't a phone/OS problem, just a lack of testing in an alarm app.

Almost as bad as SMS messages being randomly sent to other contacts than the ones you intended. Piss poor.

Almost as bad as SMS messages being randomly sent to other contacts than the ones you intended. Piss poor.

Absolutely it would be, if the SMS app had been patched less than two months ago for what is from the users POV exactly the same fault.

I absolutely agree, but I was talking about testing, specifically regression testing, not support.

I thought you didn't like people brining Android stuff into this thread, but as you have, the SMS bug would only affect phones using the stock SMS app. Many phones are running a manufacturer's SMS app as part of a GUI overlay, not the stock app, so only a small number of users could have been affected. Poor support from Google, but not an issue for most handsets or users.

Both Apple and Google are guilty of producing buggy OS. Neither can claim any moral high ground on this one.

I thought both threads could be used to debate the pros and cons of said platforms which is why the iPhone users ended up creating another iPhone only thread. If the rules have since changed then I must have missed it.

How would you define a small number of users? Thousands, hundreds of thousands?. A bug in one of the core features of a handset ie messaging which Google knew about 6 months ago and have not had it as a priority to fix. If it was a Microsoft or apple problem I suspect that they would being ripped apart for it and quite rightly so.

Like I said both Apple and Google have failed their users on these bugs......really really poor.

I don't understand why you are trying to compare the two. This is a bug which was fixed two months ago and has re-occurred. in that space of time. It's poor, it's not finger pointing, it would be poor from whoever did it.

If you'd like to discuss the android bug could we do it in the other thread where I had already posted about it? It's easier than doing it in both places.

Microsoft are a different case. They just don't fix bugs, they try to get white-hats not to divulge exploits even after the black hats are actively attacking their user base. They are routinely criticised for it. They don't care because their user base is entrenched through their illegal business activities.

I don't think the battery on the iPhone4 is too bad, for a smartphone that is.

I usually get 2 days out of a charge, as long as I don't constantly use it. And when you're watching/listening to stuff it lasts for ages.

I went to Ireland over xmas, via ferry. So the journey was about 12-14 hours (4 hours to the ferry this side, 4 hour ferry crossing, and 4 hours from the port to where we stayed on the other side, plus gaps in between waiting for the ferry etc).

Anyway, i used my iphone more or less constantly throughout the journey. Watched 3 films, and listened to podcasts or music for the rest of it. I had 10% battery when I arrived at my destination.

That's really not too bad at all. Playing games and browsing the net is what really kills the battery, but that was the first long journey I'd made with my phone, I was pleasantly surprised.

Â