The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Is that a new feature stevo? I thought everything went through itunes?

Don't think so. My old iPhone (3G) always did that too. You can't do the music that way, but photos have always been transferrable like that.

This is also the case with normal files as well. Really the only thing that needs itune is music and videos (which granted is what you'll be using it for most)

But, for example, my iPhone is how I back up my save files from my PS3

Mark 5.

Doesn't have a CD changer or anything like that.

Check here

Thats the make our car kit is and should be around the same age as your Golf. It's very good bit of kit. You might have to do some searching on there for the right one though, as well as some searching online just to make sure of the right spec for your model of car and radio.

They're not actually open, they're hibernating (except for a very few like iPod (if playing) and Mail, which keep ticking in the background.

The internet says

Apps in the multitasking toolbar are not running in the background. They are completely closed, and only have information about their last state saved, presumably in some file in the NOR flash memory. They are not using any system resources at all, unless they have handed off some task like background audio streaming to one of the APIs...in which case you use the iPod controls to stop the streaming.

The multitasking toolbar is not a task manager showing running apps, it's a recent programs list like the one in the Windows Start menu. It shows you the most recently used apps, period. Unless for some reason you do not want an app to restart where you left off (only for 4.0-compatible apps) or are concerned about someone seeing what apps you've been using, there is absolutely no reason to remove apps from the toolbar.

anyone know a good place to get iphone wallpapers? I just got an iphone4 and it's awesome.

I have found a couple on google using the resolution specifications but it's all a bit of a mashup, want to browse themes rather than typing "cars" or "women" or "avfc logo" or "star constellation" into google.

I just completed Angry birds, god that was addictive, glad it's over now.

annoyed you can't assign songs to ringtones and you have to buy the extra. Especially when the tunes I want they don't even cut the best bit for the ringtone. bastards.

There's an app for both:

Retina Wallpapers HD for some decent wallpapers. It's free. There's a lot of wallpaper apps, this one's logo is a rainbow coloured spirally thing. You'll know it when you see it.

For ringtones download "Ringtone Designer". It's free or the pro version is 59p. You still have to plug your phone into iTunes to get the ringtone once you've "designed" it, so it's not hugely convenient, but it works. Alternatively have a google, there's plenty of free programs for your PC/Mac that will allow you to make ringtones from your mp3s for your iphone.

Oh and by the way, on an Android it's super mega easy to make ringtones. Why the **** would you even buy an iPhone? Don't you realise it only has 1.21 gogglehurtz of awesomness? In fact I'm going to go and wank over my Android phone right now.

Just thought I'd put that so the Android boys don't have to ;)

..annoyed you can't assign songs to ringtones and you have to buy the extra. Especially when the tunes I want they don't even cut the best bit for the ringtone. bastards.
You can make ringtones with iTunes. You don't have to pay for them.

I haven't got a PC, I use a mac, but it is going to be v similar with a PC.

Find the song you want to make (part of) a ringtone, in iTunes.

Right click it, click show in finder (or whatever the PC equivalent is for show me where the original file is on my PC). Now you can see the original file, copy it onto your desktop. Rename it to something you will recognise eg. "ringtone 1" or whatever. Import this song into iTunes by dropping it on the music window.

Find it in iTunes.

Click get info (right click, or control + I

in the options tab, adjust the start and stop times to the bit you want to be your ringtone.

OK it and close the info window.

Select the song and then create AAC version (from the Advanced menu)

Delete the non AAC version, you don't need it any more.

On the AAC version you just made, do the "show me this file on my PC thing, again. Move it to your desktop.

rename it as whatever .m4r - e.g. ringtone 1.m4r

drag it onto iTunes to import it, and it will now be a ringtone. sync your iPhone and it will transfer to your ringtones, and you can pick it from the ringtone list on the phone.

Sounds complex, but takes just 2 or 3 minutes and is free.

With Ringdroid it takes about 10 seconds to make a ringtone from any music file on my phone.

Stevo you make those comments but it never seems to click with you. Loads of stuff is simpler on an android phone. There's no reason that making a ringtone should be convoluted other than to get people to pay for a ringtone they already have as a song.

With Ringdroid it takes about 10 seconds to make a ringtone from any music file on my phone.

Stevo you make those comments but it never seems to click with you. Loads of stuff is simpler on an android phone. There's no reason that making a ringtone should be convoluted other than to get people to pay for a ringtone they already have as a song.

Loads of stuff is simpler on an Android. I don't deny it.

But the point I was making (which you seem to have missed) is certain Android owners are physically unable to pass up an opportunity to point out how much better their phone is than an iPhone.

Thanks for proving my point :)

Â