The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Then we need to start a thread about apps.

The problem with this thread the other day was a thread in ot got merged with this thread so the discussion got moved in here. I just want to let people know that when you are considering buying a smartphone there are now viable alternatives to the iphone. So was just trying to spread the word is all. When the thread got merged here I knew it'd kick off again.

The tech forum doesn't have many active threads so we should really get an apps thread going as it has crossover appeal now between android and ios.

Samsung thread anybody? ;)

Then iPhone owners should stop talking about Samsung!

Well maybe if Android owners could possibly control their urges and stop posting in the Iphone thread we Iphone users could possbily do that.

I dont think you see anywhere near the amount of Iphone users posting in the Android thread. Maybe we just dont give a flying f*&k about Android.

Oh dear.

You've got a profile that claims you're not a 'fanboi' and you have a definition of a 'fanboi' in your signature however with posts like this you really do sound like one.

So because I own an Android-based phone I'm not allowed to post in the iPhone thread even when I'm answering questions other people have asked? WTF?

Your rant just makes you seem very immature and unable to participate in reasonable discussion. This is a thread about the Apple iPhone, it's not some war between 2 camps as you make it out to be. Who's the 'we' you refer to who don't care about Android? Because I certainly don't class myself in some kind of phone operating system group, that would be pretty sad. I try and talk about what's in the thread, no more, no less.

Well maybe if Android owners could possibly control their urges and stop posting in the Iphone thread we Iphone users could possbily do that.

I dont think you see anywhere near the amount of Iphone users posting in the Android thread. Maybe we just dont give a flying f*&k about Android.

Serious question: How old are you?

Oh dear.

You've got a profile that claims you're not a 'fanboi' and you have a definition of a 'fanboi' in your signature however with posts like this you really do sound like one.

So because I own an Android-based phone I'm not allowed to post in the iPhone thread even when I'm answering questions other people have asked? WTF?

Your rant just makes you seem very immature and unable to participate in reasonable discussion. This is a thread about the Apple iPhone, it's not some war between 2 camps as you make it out to be. Who's the 'we' you refer to who don't care about Android? Because I certainly don't class myself in some kind of phone operating system group, that would be pretty sad. I try and talk about what's in the thread, no more, no less.

Christ if you think that is a rant then I am dumbfounded.

Anybody is welcome to post in the topic but maybe they should stick to the topic itself rather than it deviating of into areas for which they are already specific topics set up. We already have other iphone users saying they have stopped visiting the thread because it gets hijacked on a regular basis. Have a read of the last 5 pages of the Android thread and then the last 5 pages of this thread. The Android thread it pretty much exclusively about Android Handsets, OS & Apps etc. The iphone one isnt.

Now back on topic.

Anybody looking for a free satnav program for the Iphone should check out "Navfree UK & ROI". I already have Navigon but downloaded this to see what it was like and in all honesty its pretty good.

Anybody is welcome to post in the topic but maybe they should stick to the topic itself rather than it deviating of into areas for which they are already specific topics set up. We already have other iphone users saying they have stopped visiting the thread because it gets hijacked on a regular basis. Have a read of the last 5 pages of the Android thread and then the last 5 pages of this thread. The Android thread it pretty much exclusively about Android Handsets, OS & Apps etc. The iphone one isnt.

And yet you posted:

So the official froyo release from Samsung is not delayed until October and is out now.

So whose fault is it that the thread moved off-topic?

Last on the subject from me - Back on topic :)

So I emailed O2 and mentioned all my problems (or their **** ups to be precise) and got a phone call from someone in their 'complaints review team'. He basically offered me 3 months free line rental and £50 bank charges repaid.

I told him that wasn't enough and to up his offer. He said that was his final offer and it was non-negotiable. I then emailed back asking if I was entitled to take my complaint to Otelo as I was not happy with their paltry offer.

He called back and offered £50 and 6 months free line rental.

Result!

As for the iphone versus android debate - I think apple have scored a monumental own goal with this latest iphone and I see android phones stealing a march on the iphone (this is despite me owning one and a macbook) - I think apple have developed a degree of arrogance about their product - which will prove to be their undoing over the next 12 months.

Both phones have 5 mega pixel cameras and can record in hd.

Basically hardware wise the galaxy s and iphone 4 are cutting edge. The only significant difference in the hardware is the galaxy s has a 4 inch super amoled screen which is more vibrant colours, while the iphone 4 has a 3.5 inch lcd screen with a higher resolution.

Obviously the two run different operating systems, android and iOS.

I wouldn't say I'm a pro. But yes the resolution makes things more detailed. Apple say the resolution on the iphone 4 is at a level that the difference at any higher level cannot be detected by the human eye.

To be perfectly honest, I've used the iphone 4 quite a bit now and you don't really notice the difference of the higher res over the res of other top smartphones.

This could be because of the bigger screen on my phone meaning I can fit the same amount of text on it at a more zoomed in level negating the benefit of crisper text. It's a tad over kill in most things.

Though it does help text to be more crisp and readable at very zoomed out modes, it is certainly an advantage over all other lcd screens of the same size. Since it's your first smartphone I doubt you will notice the benefit of this as much as you would upgrading from an older iphone.

With the galaxy s, the super amoled screen is a technology where every individual pixel is it's own led. There is no need for a back light like an lcd screen. This means colours are more vibrant, and the blacks are jet black. This gives the screen a wow factor particularly in video play back. The galaxy s is in a league of it's own as a portable media player. The bigger screen really helping it in that department too.

But the two different screens are exactly that, different. Personal preference may swing individuals one way or the other. So your best bet is to play around with both, especially video play back.

A thing to note is amoled technology is the future, the next iphone will almost certainly be using the screen technology.

There is of course a huge disparity in price, which is typical of apple products charging a premium because it's apple. It all depends on what you want from a smartphone. What are you going to use it for? Do you primarily want to play games? Or watch movies or just surf the internet on the go?

I felt the wow factor when I used my iphone 4 the first time and still do on movies and games. And I'm quite a "visual" person ;)

Oh it's a splendid screen, really is one of the two best available in phones today. But it is no match for the galaxy s for viewing movies. Check any review you want if you can't do a side by side yourself.

You're alright. I'm not about to sell my phone and buy another. I'm quite happy at the moment. And I've seen the galaxy, kept crashing. But I'm sure it's a one off. At least with my iphone and I can pop into Apple and in half hour be out the Bull Ring with a new phone.

I can't find it for free Tone

under Top free Apps ..currently at number 7

only thing i would say is that when i tried it out on the way home even though it had the unmade road I live down as a right turn on the map it then told me to turn left for some reason :confused:

luckily I don't need it for my car but it looks quite handy for walking about with

I'm not trying to get you to switch phones. I was just trying to explain the merits of both screens to Demitri. They are the two best screens available in phones today. It's hard to explain the differences between the screens without showing someone them.

The Galaxy S has a bigger screen than the iPhone, 4inch compared to 3.5inch, it has a more vibrant screen due to the Super AMOLED technology. The iPhone 4 has the higher resolution screen meaning text and images are crisper. But as a mobile movie player the Galaxy S is simply unmatched. Any impartial review will emphasise as much, it can also play avi files which an iPhone cannot.

I know 5 people with the galaxy s phone and none have reported it crashing. You must've been looking at a phone with old firmware. Basically reliability is a non issue with either phone.

Â