1. 1. O'Neill's Grade

• 90-100%
    • 80-90%
    • 70-80%
    • 60-70%
    • 50-60%
    • 40-50%
    • <40%

I'd have to give him 80-90% so far. He's really strenghtened our team. We're in our first english cup final since the chelsea game(2000 i think), and has brought in some top quality players. Has made us the most defensively sound team in the premiership at the moment (a league that includes a team with an outstanding defence in ivanovic/bosingwa terry carvalho cole with defensive midfielders such as essien, mikel), qualified for uefa twice (although neither runs were that admirable). He's the best manager I can remember at Villa, ahead of Atkinson, Taylor & Little. (too younf 4 saunders).

I'm not sure how long this will stay open, but I voted for 70-80%. Would have been >90% if we were in the Champs League with a Wesley Schneijder or two, but i'm happy where we are and what we are potentially challenging for.

75-80% For me

He has done a very good job at our club but i have a few issues that need to be addressed.

Last seasons slump

Emile Heskey

Lack of rotation

Has he taken us as far as he can that will be the question now. Im willing to give him a chance as he has took us this far to see what the answer is

He's doing a decent job - nothing spectacular. He's not a patch on Big Ron. I used to not be able to wait for each game under him, but I haven't even left the house yet with less than an hour to kick off. The football is pretty poor to watch, there is no plan B and i'm gonna have to watch a half arsed, unmotivated Carew saunter around the park today for 90 mins.

50-60% for me.

He has a long way to go before creating the same type of team that 'Big Ron' produced. Our team at the moment is functional, at times effective, but without that sprinkling of flair that 'Big Ron's' team had.

We are a work in progress with our defence now one of the best in the Premiership, but it has taken Martin nearly four years to achieve that. We lack punch up front and not signing a decent striker over the past two transfer windows has possibly cost us CL qualification. It might cost us that again by the end of the season in a weak inconsistant Premiership.

Tactically, Martin can also infuriate. Sticking to 4-4-2 when we don't have the quality to support that system, either in midfield, or upfront is criminal in my opinion. 4-5-1 is the best way to go with the playing staff we have yet Martin refuses to see that and his lack of footballing knowledge concerning substitutions and changes to our system when the content of the game supports this has me pulling my hair out.

We have improved, there's no doubt about that, but wee Martin has been given terrific support in the transfer market by Randy so that improvement has been driven by money rather than just management skills.

Martin's report then, doing ok, but much room for improvement.

50-60% for me.

He has a long way to go before creating the same type of team that 'Big Ron' produced. Our team at the moment is functional, at times effective, but without that sprinkling of flair that 'Big Ron's' team had.

We are a work in progress with our defence now one of the best in the Premiership, but it has taken Martin nearly four years to achieve that. We lack punch up front and not signing a decent striker over the past two transfer windows has possibly cost us CL qualification. It might cost us that again by the end of the season in a weak inconsistant Premiership.

Tactically, Martin can also infuriate. Sticking to 4-4-2 when we don't have the quality to support that system, either in midfield, or upfront is criminal in my opinion. 4-5-1 is the best way to go with the playing staff we have yet Martin refuses to see that and his lack of footballing knowledge concerning substitutions and changes to our system when the content of the game supports this has me pulling my hair out.

We have improved, there's no doubt about that, but wee Martin has been given terrific support in the transfer market by Randy so that improvement has been driven by money rather than just management skills.

Great post, I agree entirely... you'll most likely get hammered for it though!

50-60% for me.

Great post, I agree entirely... you'll most likely get hammered for it though!

Thanx mate, going to emigrate now, just to be safe. :winkold:

i dont see why anyone would hammer him for having an opinion - especially as he has taken the time to give his reasons. some might disagree with it though!

i think you are being a bit harsh maybe, but i can entirely understand all of your criticisms.

i think that the end of season report is the one that matters. if we finish fourth and win two cups then obviously we could never realistically hope for any more right now. we could also finish seventh and win nothing...

60-70% - cannot fault him at all for getting us to a cup final, even though he's been here for nearly 4 years. He's very passionate and an interesting character. Top 6 finishes too - but as we saw with DOL that's possible even with no money to spend.

MON has spent unprecedented money since he arrived.

What pisses me off is the tactics, we are so negative and have no plan B. The footie is getting like the drag ends of Gregory's time in charge, and some sections of our support were castigating him for it. We just aren't fun to watch.

Plus the fact that he has his favorites who are undroppable even if playing shit/injured, we don't ever capitalise on opportunities and he doesnt seem to be able to target the areas in our game that are suffering.

60-70. A scraped 2:1.

gets results but often the style is turgid and dull to watch. You have to credit him for being very solid and ticking some boxes, but shows a lack of imagination and creativity despite having all the resources available to him. Unwilling to adapt draft after minor criticism. Changes only ever enforced, rarely considers a gamble in approach. When suffering writers block, it can last for a long time, especially as he goes for the base recourse of persistence, persistence persistence. Could well earn a first if potential is developed and cowardice doesn't prevent him from going for it.

Not a patch on Big Ron or arguably Little but not bad either. Big Rons teams were a joy to watch. Rotation as others have mentioned is a big thing for me, Not utilising subs to change a game etc. Also the quality of football is not what it should be with the likes of Milner, Young and Downing in the midfield, is that a training ground issue? But Im fairly pleased.

80-90% Excellent manager, wouldn't want anyone else. He's in for the long haul.

Pairing Dunne & Collins was a masterstroke and simply the best 2 value signings of the summer!

Wasn't afraid to go 4-5-1 tonight against Man Utd & then changed it to 4-4-2 against 10 men. Should have done better

We were poor but because MON sured up defense, we aren't losing games like this.

Overall we're in spitting distance of 4th at this stage of the season and in a Cup Final. Having recently played Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool

et al.

If MON can just get over the March Mare syndrome!

80-90%

PRO'S

Got us to a cup final

Built one of the best defences in the league

Good man management skills

Good with youngsters

Dislikes Rafa & Liverpool

CONS

Last years slump

Lack of exciting signings

Tacticaly stuborn & sometimes inept

His dislike of NRC