PS3 Dead? Got the YLoD? Know someone who has?

IainG

• 1 month later...

Managed to get my ps3 fixed for 30 quid from a guy in Wednesbury. The guy was advertising on ebay that he could fix it so I thought I would give it a try and hey presto!

• 3 months later...

This just happened to me :( I looked on youtube and there is a fix which involves a heat gun and taking the whole PS3 apart (which Im guessing is what you paid the guy 30 quid for) but Ive heard that is only a temporary solution. Im leaning towards buying a slim PS3...Does anyone have any suggestions to what I should do??

This just happened to me :( I looked on youtube and there is a fix which involves a heat gun and taking the whole PS3 apart (which Im guessing is what you paid the guy 30 quid for) but Ive heard that is only a temporary solution. Im leaning towards buying a slim PS3...Does anyone have any suggestions to what I should do??

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i have fixed my ps3 ylod 2 times through the factory reset mode of

hold the power button till the ps3 powers on and powers off again then immediately hold the power button again until it makes 2 beeps together after a first beep.

that is meant to force the ps3 into safe mode

this may help some people, there is another way which involves altering the pup files but is more complex.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

No YLOD but I have been having problems with my PS3 freezing and generally not loading properly. It's about 6 years old (a fattie) and about 4 years I swapped out the original HDD with a 500GB seagate.

In the past few weeks the problem has become catastrophic in that the unit won't load properly (gets stuck at the splash screen at start up), will take up to 10 minutes to read an external HDD and freezes chronically when attempting to play games. Pretty much every time or every second time I uses it - largely for watching TV shows from the external drive - it becomes unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is by flicking the switch at the back.

I have several times gone in to safe mode and tried rebuilding database, fixing file system and finally reset the system. On each occasion the system has rebooted as it is supposed to but the problems generally return fairly quickly.

My best guess here is that the hard drive has packed it in and, on that basis I have a mind to get a new drive for it and whack it in & hope for the best. However, I don't really want to waste money on a new HDD if this is not actually the problem. My other way of thinking is that 6 years is a fair whack of time for a piece of hardware like this to be operating and maybe the system itself is starting to pack it in and buying the new HDD would probably be a waste of money.

Any advice?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My PS3 gave up last night.

Not the YLOD as far as I can tell (there's no yellow light for a start), but thought this was as good a topic as any to put it in, even though I'm guessing the website in the OP is long since defunct as it hasn't been updated since 2010.

Anyway, turned my PS3 on last night and started watching Netflix. Paused it to go and get a drink and when I came back in, the PS3 appeared to have shut itself down and the red light on the front right was blinking. It wouldn't turn back on so I turned it off at the back and unplugged it.

I left it for about 10 minutes then tried plugging everything back in and turning it on again. It seemed to power up for about a second (literally) and then shut down again with 3 beeps and, again, the red light remained blinking at the front.

A quick google suggested maybe it was overheating so I unplugged everything, cleaned the vents and left it overnight (even though it didn't feel hot)

This morning I turned it on, it powered up for maybe 30 seconds. Long enough for me to read the message about the PS3 not shutting down properly previously, and then it shut down by itself again. Again, 3 beeps, blinking red light.

Tried turning it on again and again it shut down within a second of it powering up.

The PS3 didn't feel hot in the slightest so I don't think it's overheating.

Anyone had anything like this before? I've googled it a fair bit to try and find a solution and only found 3 answers. 

1. People saying it's the YLOD - I don't think it is, as apparently the YLOD is a solid yellow light. There's no yellow light apart from it blinking when I turn it on, but I think that's normal.

2. Overheating - as mentioned, I don't think this is it as it doesn't feel hot at all and doesn't seem to be on long enough to overheat.

3. "Bricked" - I don't really know what this means, other than it's **** and there's no saving it.

So I'm assuming it's done for. Not the end of the world, the only thing I'm really bothered about are my RDR and GTAV saves, but it would give me an excuse to play them again :D

But yeah, I'd be interested if anyone else has encountered this.

(ps this is my 3rd PS3. The other 2 failed with a different problem. So much for being more reliable than 360s ;) )

Edited by Stevo985

Â