PS3 Dead? Got the YLoD? Know someone who has?

IainG

The exact same thing happened with my old PS3 so I did the YLOD fix, clean off the thermal paste, heat the motherboard and put new paste on. Doing this allowed me to turn my PS3 on for just long enough to take a backup of almost all of my saved game files before going off again.

That PS3 was an original 40GB version and lasted about 6 years so it wasn't too bad.

• Like 1

If you just want to get the saves, it might be easier to pull out the hard disk and put it into a mate's working PS3.

No good, the hard disk gets encrypted so it can only be read by the PS3 it was formatted in which really sucks. It will just give you the option to format the disk.

• Like 1

Think I'm just going to plump for a new one. Well, new for me, I'll get it second hand off ebay or something I reckon. There's some slims on there for like 50 quid. I guess the price has dropped loads since the PS4 came out as everyone is selling to upgrade.

Like I said, losing the saves does annoy me slightly, but it's only GTAV that I'm overly fussed about. I say I'm annoyed about RDR, but I probably wouldn't have ever gone back to 100% that so it's no big loss.

And, as I mentioned, gives me an excuse to play through GTA again :)

Cheers for the advice though chaps.

Â