PS3 Dead? Got the YLoD? Know someone who has?

IainG

Hi all,

I've set up a new site which is effectively a one-stop resource for PS3 failures. The site is very much in its infancy, but has a range a topics including possible fixes for the YLoD and other information regarding the failures. There's also a forum where users are signing up and recording their experiences of PS3 failures. Considering the site hasn't been live for very long, there are already a decent number of users signed up. More content will be added soon about legal possibilities, recommended repairers and so on.

Initially the idea was to put pressure on Sony, but it's taken on something of a support group feel since last week's launch, and now has a reasonably populated forum with people who know a lot about the YLoD, as well as ways to get it fixed for much less than Sony expect you to pay.

I sent Lancs a PM to make sure he was happy with me posting this, and he agreed that it could well help a lot of VTers who have had their PS3s fail on them.

The address is http://www.yellowlight.co.uk - we've upset a fair few Sony fanboys already, but those who need the help or have experience in failing PS3s seem to really appreciate what we're trying to do.

Anyway, have a look, if it's not for you then that's fine, but we're trying to get forum numbers up as much as possible so hopefully you'll want to sign up.

Finally, if you've got any ideas or suggestions by all means drop them here or into the forum too, there's a section specifically for that purpose.

Thanks for reading all this! If you're nice, I might start putting HQ goal videos up again ;)

Iain

http://www.yellowlight.co.uk

Does this problem include the new PS3 Slim?

Hard to tell, but if Sony didn't use better solder in the Slims then they need shooting. However there have been reports of HDD failures, but these are very few and far between so can be put down to standard hard drive reliability issues and nothing to do with the PS3.

The trouble is that the slims haven't been around all that long, and the YLoD seems to come after the initial 12 month warranty period is up. Only time will tell.

Does this problem include the new PS3 Slim?

Hard to tell, but if Sony didn't use better solder in the Slims then they need shooting. However there have been reports of HDD failures, but these are very few and far between so can be put down to standard hard drive reliability issues and nothing to do with the PS3.

The trouble is that the slims haven't been around all that long, and the YLoD seems to come after the initial 12 month warranty period is up. Only time will tell.

OK thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I would also like to say that I think you have done a great job with the website. Crisp layout, simple and easy to navigate round.

The youtube video from Watchdog was interesting in particular.

Good luck with it.

Nice website, and I like the lad who's taking on his retailer m&s rather than Sony directly. as I believe thats the first point with any claim of goods not being fit for purpose. Frankly Sony will field thousands of complaints from individuals, but if retailers put pressure en masse, then and only then are Sony likely ot listen.

The problem is that most of the "complainers" are may be juvenile rather than adult,and so are more likely to be daunted by the compalint process and knowing their rights.

How about getting some guideline from the CAB, outlining exactly what your tights are or are not, details of the main suppliers complaints departments ie pc world, Dixons, Argos, Game, and also clear instructions on how to issue a small claim online at the Northampton County Court. If Dixons suddenly start to get hit by hundreds of summons'es to court, they again might be able to prevail on Sony through their buying power.

Good call Juju, it'll be interesting to see how Kev's claim against M&S goes, if he's successful it'll open the floodgates and things will REALLY kick off.

Fingers crossed :)

So a couple of updates... in the next couple of days I'm adding some new content to the site, a 3 part guide about backing up and restoring which will give good tips.

Also, Gilksy (the guy who made the infamous YouTube videos on fixing the YLoD) is now a member on the forum so I'm hoping will be able to help out with people's queries about getting things working again.

All good stuff. :)

www.yellowlight.co.uk

Another update (in case anyone is still reading this..!)

Last week I added the aforementioned guide to backing up your PS3 stuff. You can find it over at this page here.

Coming up in the next few days will be a guide on replacing your BluRay laser in case that fails. It's another one of those things that Sony won't fix for you after 12 months...

Sony aren't obliged to do anything. Take it back to where you bought it and demand they repair the shoddy crap they sold you. You should only be doing things like this if your retailer has gone bust.

Sony aren't obliged to do anything. Take it back to where you bought it and demand they repair the shoddy crap they sold you. You should only be doing things like this if your retailer has gone bust.

Well I bought mine from Woolworths...

But either way, the Sale of Goods Act isn't working, as retailers are saying that these faults aren't engineering faults so won't take responsibility. It seems to be a total lottery as to whether you get your money back or not.

But, as you said, the fixes on the site are last resorts, but they're last resorts that most people have to fall back on.

Straight to Trading Standards you go. The retailer is clearly in the wrong, they cannot refuse responsibility and if they do, you can take it up with your credit card company (assuming you used one), as they are also liable.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine got the dreaded YLOD on Saturday, its my 3rd one in the last 2 years and 2 months ( the first 2 happened in the first 3 months so was able to get exchanges on them ).

Brought myself a slim now but i'm gonna fire off a letter to HMV re sales of goods act and try my luck.

Will let everyone know how i've got on, for a console that is supposed to have a 10 year shelf life its amazing how many are struggling to last 3 years.

Ps - Not sure if this is common knowledge but if you get the YLOD and the game is stuck in there, switch it off at the power supply. Hold the eject button down and then power it back on. You'll hear the fans go into overdrive and your game should come out.

I used this method a couple of times and can confirm it works.

• 3 weeks later...
Â