2010 High School Coaching Thread!

Dom_Wren

Part Three!

A new world awaited Dennis Moore and his siblings. A vastly different world than their native Liberia. One filled with hope and opportunity.

By Barry Byers - bbyers@heraldonline.com Editor's note: This is the final installment of a three-part profile of Northwestern High School soccer player Dennis Moore.

Four years ago, Kristi Moore wanted to settle with her newly adopted children near Lancaster.

Melissa Cherry mcherry@heraldonl -

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS

Rock Hill teen shares journey from civil war-ridden Liberia to Northwestern soccer fields

Northwestern soccer star in Liberia: 'I wanted a parent so bad'

"So I folded a map, closed my eyes and pointed to a spot," she said. "I opened my eyes, and my finger was on Rock Hill."

While living and working with the children at the Daniel Hoover Children's Village in Dixville, Liberia, Moore decided to adopt three of the residents: Dennis, Helena and Caleb.

Moore initially was touched by Dennis. His mother died when he was 3 and his father died seven years later as Dennis tried to rush him to a medical center in Liberia. She decided to adopt Dennis, then agreed to adopt his younger sister, Helena, and Caleb, who had become like a brother.

All three children had survived years of civil war in Liberia.

After picking Rock Hill, Dennis, Helena, Kristi and her mom, Kathleen Lemme, who was 71 at the time, loaded the family's belongings into a rental truck in 2006 for the 17-hour drive from Texas to Rock Hill.

Caleb remained in Liberia because of a problem with his visa. After the problem was resolved after five months, Kristi returned to Liberia and brought Caleb to Rock Hill. They lived in an apartment at first, then a townhouse, before buying a home last July.

Coming to America

Kristi was 34, a single mom and living in a state new to her. And she had a family, three bright and cheerful children that she had to introduce to the modern world.

On the trip to bring Dennis and Helena home, Kristi was amazed at how they reacted to new experiences.

During a three-hour layover in Brussels, Belgium, Helena was fascinated by the conveyor belt that took passengers to and from the concourse - moving without walking.

Dennis liked the escalator. Kristi said they rode it up and down at least 23 times.

And when they were in the terminal, "I went to the restroom and saw my first urinal," Dennis said. "I didn't know what it was.

"I stood there looking; thought it was a place to wash my hands. I waited until someone else came in. A man used it, and I'm glad I didn't stick my hands in it."

Caleb, who was 9, got his close-up view of "civilization" five months later. For him, it was a scary experience.

"I took him in a family restroom because I didn't want to let him go by himself," Kristi said. "When Caleb was finished, he got up and it was one of those self-flush units. Caleb took off. The only thing that stopped him was the restroom door."

Kristi prepared her children for their new experiences here by taking their transition slowly.

She wanted her children to start school in Rock Hill at the same educational level as the classmates their age.

In Liberia, Dennis was academically three years behind children his age in America, Kristi said. She worked with him in Liberia, and by the time he enrolled as a freshman at Trinity Christian School in Rock Hill, he had caught up.

She didn't want to send Dennis to a public school right away. "I wanted to make sure he was ready first," she said.

Dennis had played soccer at the Liberian children's village, most of the time using paper stuffed in socks or sap from rubber trees as soccer balls. In Rock Hill, he first joined a club team in the Discoveries Soccer program and later played on Trinity's team.

He moved to Northwestern High School his sophomore year but couldn't immediately join the soccer team. The South Carolina High School League requires most transfer students to sit out sports a year. Northwestern asked that Dennis be granted a hardship transfer, which would allow him to play his first year, but was denied.

But that didn't stop Dennis.

"Dennis came to me and asked to be the manager," said Dom Wren, the school's soccer coach. "He said, 'Coach, I'll do whatever I can to help the team.'

"That's the measure of the kind of young man he is. He's a little shy, he's polite, respectful, courteous and works hard. He's probably improved more each year than any player I've ever coached."

Wren, who was his Discoveries Soccer coach, said Dennis had "lots of raw talent'' but needed to work on the fundamentals.

"He had the skills, but they had to be refined," Wren said. "Dennis is the kind of person who wants to be the best he can. When he found out he wouldn't get to play for us, I know it had to be hard on him. But you wouldn't have known it. Dennis never complained no matter what he was asked to do.''

Happy for opportunities

In Wren and David Benson, a local attorney who helps the team, Dennis found two adult males he could look up to, Kristi said. Wren, especially, has helped Dennis get acclimated to living in a new country. Wren, who moved here from England, said he understood the situation well.

"Coach Wren does more than teach us soccer," said Dennis, 18. "He teaches us life lessons, to do the right things on and off the field. He has been very good to me and my teammates, and we are fortunate for him to be our coach.''

Dennis, a senior forward, is finishing his second season with the Trojans. As a junior, he scored 15 goals and had eight assists for 38 points. Northwestern finished 24-0, won the state championship and was ranked No. 1 nationally by ESPN Rise and the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.

This year, the Trojans are 21-2 and ranked second in the state Class AAAA boys coaches' poll. Dennis has 18 goals and 12 assists for 48 points despite missing three games with a sprained knee.

"Dennis is a leader in every way," senior teammate Alex Martinez said. "Coach Wren selected myself and Ryan Foster to be the team captains and asked us to pick the other one. We chose Dennis right away because he doesn't lose his composure no matter what happens. He's probably nicer than most people you'll ever meet. And when the soccer match gets hot, he has a way of calming everyone down."

Dennis is just as successful in the classroom. His academic and athletic success earned him a scholarship to attend Wofford College in Spartanburg.

David Bartles, who teaches an advanced class in anatomy-physiology at Northwestern, said Dennis is one of the best students he's "ever" had, and not just because of grades.

"I've taught school in different parts of the world and Dennis is like the European students," said Bartles, a former Trojans tennis coach. "He keeps his focus, balances what he does on the field with what he does in class.

"Dennis stands out because he is courteous, studious and caring. When he is finished with his work, Dennis will help the other students or will sit alone and not disturb the class."

Bartles said he feels "honored" to have taught Dennis.

"Most kids his age are worried about the latest iPod or the car they drive," he said. "Dennis is not like that, and Wofford is getting the complete package."

Dennis isn't the only successful student and soccer player in the Moore household. Kristi home-schooled Helena and Caleb for a year, and they, too, entered school on par with classmates their age.

Like their big brother, Helena and Caleb are standout soccer players.

Helena, 15, is the leading scorer for Northwestern's girls' team. Wren said she plays like a "true warrior'' and at a skill level beyond her age.

Wren said Caleb, 13, is the top player on Northwestern's junior varsity team and might become one of school's best players.

Love conquers all

The first thing noticeable about the Moore family is the closeness. And the children's smiles.

Trouble is not a common word around the Moore household. Helena said the worst any of them have gotten into was when she misplaced her cell phone and learner's permit to drive.

Kristi says there are times when she has to "reel in" Helena because she is uninhibited and loves to talk.

All three avoid fast food because they are health conscious. Their favorite food is rice, and Kristi prepares it for every meal. It's a throwback to their days in Africa. Dennis said if he doesn't have rice with a meal, he doesn't feel like he's eaten.

"They are great kids," Kristi said. "I never have to tell them what needs to be done. They like helping around the house. They take pride in our home.

"They learned in Liberia to respect their elders. It's hard on all three of them when they see kids that talk back or are disrespectful. They are not perfect, nobody is, but they stay away from trouble and strive to be good citizens.''

Kristi is a soccer mom, as illustrated by the soccer stickers on the back of her mini-van. She goes to nearly every match, home or away, although it's tough on those nights when the boys team plays at home and the girls team is on the road. Last summer, she went to Texas when Dennis and his Discoveries Soccer team won the regional championship for their age group, 18-and-under. She followed the team to Boston, where it won the Youth Soccer Association national championship.

Kristi works at home for HCL Axom Solutions as a senior recruiter and resource manager. She matches technical workers with jobs requiring their skills.

"Our mom is awesome,'' Helena said. "She's very cool and teaches us to be good children. She tells us to never give up on our dreams and to work hard. And she encourages us that we can always get better at anything we do. To have a mom like her, we are blessed."

For Dennis, coming to America and being part of a happy family was the best he could ask for, he said.

"I've been thinking that some day I might go back to Liberia just to see what it's like now," he said. "But only for a visit.

"My home is America. I am very fortunate for the opportunities we have had and all the good people that have come into my life. And I'm fortunate to have such a good mom and family."

Regular season over!

22-2, the 2 losses were to top 5 nationally anked teams, both 3-1, after leading.

Career coaching record over 5 years is 121-11

102 goals scored

27 conceded

Start playoffs next tuesday. So a week of running, shadow play and watching tape!

First round of playoffs last night!

0512nwsoccerart0goa1b4m.jpg

Quickly and often, like a rattlesnake striking its prey.

That's how the Northwestern High Trojans beat the Blythewood Bengals 5-0 in the first round of the Class AAAA Upper State boys soccer playoffs on Tuesday.

Missing was the sluggish start that Trojans coach Dom Wren has bemoaned all season. In its place was a charging Trojans' team that didn't score until nearly 20 minutes into the game, but kept moving, passing the ball around and banging it toward the goal when an opening was there.

The Trojans were sharp, playing perhaps one of their best halves of the season. Northwestern went 24-0 last season and won their second straight Class AAAA state championship. Wren is going to need more of the same for his team to move on and make it back to Columbia on May 22.

"I'm very, very pleased with this team,'' Wren said. "We played from the first whistle. And although we didn't score in the first 20 minutes, we were effective in what we wanted to do.

"This was a microcosm of what we have wanted to do all year. We did it tonight because the playoffs are here and our kids know they have to be ready every game to make another run at the championship. We got into a rhythm tonight and stayed with it.''

Northwestern, 23-2, hosts Boiling Springs, a 2-1 winner over Easley, at 7 p.m. Thursday. Blythewood's season ended at 8-13.

The Trojans scored first on a close-in goal by Alex Martinez. It came at the 20:44 mark and was the first of four Northwestern goals in the half. Martinez took a long pass from Ricky Garbanzo and slammed the ball home for a 1-0 Northwestern lead.

Garbanzo did what he does best during the opening half. He took advantage of a pair of Blythewood mistakes.

The first resulted in a direct kick at the 16:52 mark. Garbanzo set up slightly to the right-center of the net, staring down four Bengals in a straight line between him and the net.

Rather than trying to force the ball past the wall of Bengals, Garbanzo lofted it over the heads of the four defenders, high enough to escape the hands of goalie Ethan Mayes.

Garbanzo took a penalty shot with 8:30, one-on-one against Mayes from 12 yards out. This time he went for the fastball and rocketed his shot into the left corner of the net.

And with the clock stopped at the 2-minute juncture, Garbanzo completed a hat trick with still another 40 minutes to play. He took a cross in the box from Martinez and scored his third goal. It put the Trojans ahead 4-0 and sent them into the break with a big dose of momentum.

"We decided to come out and give it to them (Blythewood),'' Garbanzo said. "We should have scored 15 minutes in, but the shot was just a little off. Tonight, we played soccer the Northwestern way. It's going to take that every night for us to win another championship.''

Martinez picked up his second goal, and the last of the game just under four minutes into the second half. He gained control of the ball of the left side of the Bengals' goal about 25 yards out. Martinez dribbled through several defenders, leaving a couple with looks of disbelief.

When he was almost parallel with the left post, Martinez cocked and fired a shot into the goal for what served to be the final chapter of a good book. Only in this case, it was a good soccer game.

The Trojans were just as effective on defense, leaving no doubt that this was more than the Martinez/Garbanzo show. Northwestern held Blythewood to one shot on frame, looking a lot like the Trojans defense that dominated the playoffs last year.

NORTHWESTERN 5

BLYTHEWOOD 0

First half

N - Alex Martinez, 20:44, Ricky Garbanzo assist

N - Garbanzo, 16:52, direct kick

N - Garbanzo, 8:30, penalty kick

N - Garbanzo, 1:00, Martinez assist,

Second half

N - Martinez, 16:51, unassisted

Shots on goal: Blythewood 1, Northwestern 11. Corner kicks: Blythewood 3, Northwestern 4.

Goalies: Blythewood - Ethan Mayes (5 saves), Boone Benson (1 save). Northwestern - Sam Faris (1 save), Tyler Gross (0 saves).

Records: Northwestern 23-2 , Blythewood 8-13

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/05/12/2161512/northwestern-blanks-blythewood.html#ixzz0ngawnqyX

Won 5-0 again!

alexbsz.jpg

dendenbs.jpg

Northwestern blanks Boiling Springs; set to face Greenwood next

By Mychal Frost - Herald correspondent ROCK HILL -- Northwestern's return trip to the state championship didn't take any detours Thursday as the Trojans blanked visiting Boiling Springs 5-0.

The win sets up a Saturday date with Greenwood (12-10), who advanced with a 3-1 win over Clover. The Eagles are the No.3-seed out of Region 1-AAAA. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.

Northwestern (24-2), ranked No. 2 in the state, received and early boost from Alexis Martinez in the first minute of play. The senior midfielder intercepted Boiling Springs' opening kickoff and sliced and diced his way through the porous Bulldogs defense and rifled a 20-yard blast that was too much for goalie Justin Caddell. The Trojans were on top a 1-0 after a mere 20 seconds into the match.

Dannie Walls/Special to The Herald - Northwestern's Dennis Moore charges to the goal as Jaime Hernandez tries to catch him from behind Thursday.

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS

"We don't necessarily have to score in the first 10 minutes, but we (try to) put them under pressure and impose ourselves on the game," said Northwestern coach Dom Wren. "It was another fantastic performance tonight, especially from the back four (defenders)."

Such an early goal often leads to complacency, but Northwestern's coaching staff sent a swift message to the 11 players on the pitch and demanded there not be a let down in effort and intensity.

"It's a natural human reaction to think that it's over, but the other team does have 79 and a half minutes to get back into the game," Wren said. "What we (tell the boys) after a goal is that the next five minutes be very intense and we're applying a lot of pressure, but we're also playing smart...we say 'next five, next five' to get the game settled back down and get back into our rhythm."

That's recipe is exactly what makes Northwestern dangerous, especially as they continue their march toward Columbia's Memorial Stadium where the state championship game will be played May 22. The Trojans are seeking their third consecutive title and fourth in the past five years.

It took the Trojans nearly 24 minutes to tally a second goal. Cody Parks tackled the ball way from an attacking Bulldog near the midfield line. He then dribbled for a few yards before threading a perfect through pass to Dennis Moore, who took the ball into the box and slipped it past Caddell.

Moore and his Trojans teammates must have taken to heart the message sent by the coaching staff -- the importance of the "next five minutes" -- because Northwestern struck again at the 26:32 mark. This time, he did the work himself taking a narrow angle scoring strike from the endline that caught everyone by surprise. It was Moore's second goal of the playoffs and his 20th this season.

Again, inside of the next five minute window, Northwestern finished a scoring opportunity. Martinez added his second score of the game at 31:30 in a one-man effort. While dancing with the ball at his feet on the edge of the penalty area, he made two Bulldogs fall while attempting to follow his crafty footwork. With the defenders helplessly watching from the grass, Martinez ripped a right-footed shot past Caddell to give Northwestern a 4-0 advantage.

Through two playoff matches Martinez has four goals and one assist.

Ricardo Garbanzo, the Trojans' sensational junior forward and leading scorer, netted the final goal early in the second half. He now has 34 goals this year.

Sam Faris and Tyler Gross shared time in goal for Northwestern to secure the Trojans 11th shutout.

Boiling Springs, the No.3-seed out of Region 2-AAAA, ends its season at 8-9.

At Northwestern

NORTHWESTERN 5

BOILING SPRINGS 0

First half

N -- 0:20 Alex Martinez

N -- 24:15 Dennis Moore (Cody Parks)

N -- 26:32 Moore

N -- 31:30 Martinez

Second half

N -- 0:20 Ricky Garbanzo (Parks and Jacob Alvarez)

Shots -- Northwestern 14, Boiling Springs 5.

Corner kicks -- Northwestern 6, Boiling Springs 1.

Goalies -- Northwestern: Sam Faris (0 saves), Tyler Gross (1 saves); Boiling Springs: Justin Caddell (3 saves).

Records -- Northwestern 24-2, Boiling Springs 8-9

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/05/14/2167982/closer-to-the-goal.html#ixzz0nuExVCld

Through to the upper state final (final four teams) for the 5th time in my 5 years as head coach. Play Tuesday. Won 6-1 on Sat night.

alexgwood.jpg

rickygwood.jpg

Trojans continue winning ways against Greenwood

Trojans continue winning ways against Greenwood

By Karl Lyles - klyles@heraldonline.com Northwestern made it look easy.

The Trojans (25-2) scored five first-half goals and then coasted to a 6-1 win over Greenwood on Saturday as the Class AAAA playoffs continued. Ricky Garbanzo scored three times and Alex Martinez added two for the winners.

Next up is the Upper State finals at Mauldin on Monday. Mauldin downed Fort Mill 4-1 on Saturday.

Jim Stratakos/jstratakos@heraldonline.com - Northwestern's Alex Martinez kicks around Greenwood's Addison Ridgeway on Saturday.

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS

Northwestern is ranked second in the state while Mauldin (17-6) is seventh.

The last comment heard prior to the game from a tight knot of Northwestern players was the need to get on the board early. That mindset has played out in each of the Trojans' first three postseason matches.

Greenwood controlled the ball for about five seconds before launching a ball toward Northwestern defender Kevin Ray who settled and lofted a pass ahead to teammate Ryan Foster. Foster flicked the pass while on the run ahead to Dennis Moore.

Moore took just a couple touches, saw Greenwood's goal keeper, Keller Pitts, defending the near post and deposited the ball into the wide-open mouth of the goal.

The Trojans led 1-0 after 14 seconds.

Greenwood tied the game in the eighth minute when Trent Uldrick's shot in traffic beat Northwestern's goalie Sam Faris. But Saturday was going to be a good offensive night, again, for the two-time defending state champs.

"It's kind of strange," Northwestern coach Dom Wren started, "we have created a golden chance in the first minute of each game so far. It's such a confidence boost for us. To score quick and early like that; it makes it tough for them to come back."

Martinez scored the go-ahead goal in the 13th minute. Pitts looked to clear a ball out of the box but Martinez intercepted the pass and dribbled back into the box and scored from 15 yards out.

Garbanzo scored his three goals over a four-minute span to help his team pull away.

The junior forward has seen how getting out to a big lead changes the complexion of a playoff games.

"It helps. Right off the bat we are ahead," he said.

Wren said it would be easy for him, as a coach, to look at what last year's team and think he'd like to have that team back.

"Honestly, I haven't looked back to last year and that's the biggest compliment I can give this team," Wren said. "The team leadership is providing the focus.

"For me it is taking care of the tactical things. This is a highly motivated group."

At Northwestern

NORTHWESTERN 6

GREENWOOD 1

First half

N -- 1:00 Dennis Moore, assisted by Ryan Foster and Kevin Ray

G -- 8:00 Trent Uldrick, unassisted

N -- 13:00 Alex Martinez, unassisted

N -- 14:00 Ricky Garbanzo, unassisted

N -- 67:00 Garbanzo, unassisted

N -- 18:00 Garbanzo, assisted by Martinez

Second half

N -- Martinez, assisted by Jeremy Dobbins

Shots on goal -- Greenwood 3, Northwestern 13

Corner kicks -- Greenwood 0, Northwestern 6

Goalies -- Greenwood -- Keller Pitts (2 saves); Northwestern -- Sam Faris (3 saves).

Records -- Greenwood 12-11; Northwestern 25-2

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/05/16/2171516/championship-form.html#ixzz0o8lp67Hl

Game postponed till weds!!

highlights @ 1:30min http://www.cn2.com/web/guest/sports

Story on Alex

alexgwood.jpg

Northwestern soccer player Alex Martinez: No more 'Mr. Bad Boy'

Alex Martinez says he's grown up

By Barry Byers - bbyers@heraldonline.com For as long as he can remember, Alex Martinez has been the "bad one" and Enzo Martinez, his older brother, the "good one" on the soccer field.

The reputation has been admittedly earned, he says, but it's one he's been able to shake.

"I was hot-headed when I was younger," Alex said. "I wanted to win for the team no matter what, and I was so competitive that I had a bad temper on the field. It got me in trouble.

"I'm still competitive; want to win at everything I do. If it's stare down, when me and another kid are looking into each others' eyes, I'm not going to back off. But I've grown up the last two years and don't show my temper on the field like I did.''

Enzo was so popular that he fell into a select group of athletes all the way to the pros who are usually identified by first name only. But Enzo is gone from Northwestern after helping lead the Trojans to Class AAAA state championships three of his four seasons, and Alex is in the spotlight this season.

This year's team is 25-2, ranked No. 2 in Class AAAA, and is one step away from going to its fifth straight state championship game. The wait got a little longer Monday afternoon. The Trojans were scheduled to play at Mauldin tonight for the Upper State championship. But the game was pushed to Wednesday because Mauldin's girls game on Monday was postponed because of rain and moved to tonight.

The bad boy image? Alex got carded often as a sophomore because he's so aggressive. He'll still sacrifice limbs and body to win a ball, goes after every loose ball like he's chasing his final meal. But the shoves, the glares and the arguing with referees come less often. He's had only one yellow card, a warning, this season.

Alex is focused and plays soccer with a passion. But he's had his awkward moments. In his sophomore year, he was one red card away from being banished for the season. But a review revealed that one of the red cards should have been a yellow because the degree of the foul was less severe than was originally thought.

Alex wasn't exactly a choir boy the rest of the season, but he pulled back just enough not to hurt his team in its quest for the state title.

"The big thing about Alex is that he's shed the temper and has become our leader," Northwestern coach Dom Wren said. "He's the heartbeat of our team, the senior player we expected him to be.

"When you look at where he was five years ago, Alex has come a long way. He has done it through hard work and he's realized that no matter how much he wants to help the team, you don't do it by getting carded."

Alex wore his feelings on his sleeve back then. He was ready to square off at the drop of a hat. He was 5-foot-6 and weighed 130 pounds as a sophomore and got shoved around like a rag doll. But no amount of shoving could stop him and he more than held his ground when face to face with offenders.

He is 5-foot-7 and weighs 145 pounds now, and he's signed a scholarship with High Point. He knows that if he hadn't changed his ways, such an opportunity might not have come.

Like his brother before him, Alex has the same fire in his eyes, the same quickness and the same moves when he approaches the net. And just like his brother, Alex is Wren's coach on the field, setting the offense.

"He's become a pleasure to coach," Wren said. "He has drive, focus and determination. He pulls the strings in our sets. He's been a little dynamo for us."

Ryan Foster was the starting goalie on the past two championship teams but moved to forward alongside Alex this season. He remembers well the long, hot spring when they were sophomores.

"Coach Wren called a team meeting and said we have to stop being individuals on the field and play more like a team," Foster said. "We knew the meeting was because Alex was having problems controlling his temper, but it worked.

"It was about that time that we started playing better as a team. Alex put the hot stuff behind him and we knew we could count on him to be there with us. He realized that he was no more important than the player next to him. All of us did."

Alex has become a player Wren describes not only as talented, but as one who has learned to have fun playing and to make the right decisions. And Alex said he's a better player and person for listening to his coach and teammates.

"If we lose, I'm still mad," he said. "If we win, I'm very happy. But I'm playing with a bigger cause. I play for my team, work hard to set an example because we want to win another state championship.

"When I walk off the field, I want people to know I gave everything I have for my team. There are 11 players out there, and each one, including the ones who sub in, are working for the same goal. That's what makes our team good. How it's supposed to be."

Barry Byers 803-329-4099

Dom I think it's great that you're shaping these boys lives as well as all the good you're doing with their football.

I know a few younger kids who would benefit so much from being in a team like yours and getting the coaching, life skills, teamwork abilities etc sadly it's not as common here and they'll probably continue to go off the rails with no focus until they realise in their mid-twenties (With some luck.) where they are going wrong. You'll probably do more for some of these lads than you'll ever know - keep up the hard work fella. :thumb:

You'll probably do more for some of these lads than you'll ever know - keep up the hard work fella. :thumb:

Do you take them to Hooters too? Thinking back to my playing days, I know I'd definitely play better if I knew that was the reward ;)

Thanks Laura, Anthony and Stew (aka legend!). If im honest, of course i do it to win and build a good program, but there is someting more meaningfull to my work. I geniunely care for my players, now dont get me wrong I am as demanding as they come as a coach. I set high standards and hold my players to it, but I call a spade a spade, not a big spoon. When they do well i tell them, when they dont, i tell them!

They know that there is a time they have to perform, but also they know i will help them with anything, Ive bought clothese, cleats and meals for kids. Ive picked them up and driven them to school, if they are in trouble they know I will help them. I kind of feel like these young men will be the future of our soceity, so in a way, its the least I can do is help.

Now im not perfect, and dont pretend to be, but i encourage them to learn from my mistakes and take the advice of people that have been there and done it. I think in a way this none preachy way of approaching it with them helps. One of my favorite sayings is "Everybody makes mistakes, just make sure you learn from it and dont make the same mistake again." Kind of rambling here, but when Alex told me he wanted to be a PE teacher as he wanted to be like me, and Enzo (his brother) said he wanted to be a coach to help kids like I helped him, and Dennis Moore, a Liberian orphan, whose story is told on this page, tells me he wouldnt be where he is today if it wasnt for me. This sort of stuff is nice to validate that you make a difference in a positive way!

Choffer, we actually went to hooters for a team dinner last tuesday. Its kind of a tradition after first round playoff game. We do fine sessions during the year, and collect a bunch of money and take them out to eat with it, great craic and just another little thing that I hope makes a big difference tomorrow night!

apologies for poor grammar!

This is from last years thread, but kind of gives you an insigth to how I run my program:

Are you a disciplinarian? I believe that discipline is a huge part of being a great player, without discipline or i use the word structure as well, there can be a lot of wasted energy from the player. If a player cannot be disciplined off the pitch how can you trust him to be disciplined on it. I use structure though to describe on the field as i believe each team/player should have a structure, but should be able to express themselves within this structure of the team.

Do you have punishments? I have rewards for not doing what your supposed to do. But yes i have Punishments for everything. Not turning up on time, Not wearing correct practice gear, Not being responsible. Where the most punishments come in are during practice. I make EVERY drill competitive, hold every player accountable, if you lose then you pay for it,it creates a mindset of refusing to lose.

Do you have rules and regulations? Yes i have a players manual that i have developed over the years, that i give to each player it lists everything they need to know. When it is written in black and white it is hard to argue. I also make them sign a contract.

Could you list them? Too long to list! Though if you wish i can email you a copy of them.

Do you write a practice plan? EVERY day. I spend min 30 mins a day planning practice. If I'm honest its something that i enjoy, creating challenging practices and thinking how player X will react. Seeing the kids enjoy or get something out of that practice is priceless. And if it doesn't work, get back to the drawing board. I don't always find it easy, sometimes i will surf the Internet and use an idea as a base, but as Fabio Capello (England national soccer coach) "All good coaches are thieves!"

Are you looking to improve the individual or the team more in practice? You never stop working on either, obviously if the individual is not correct in execution then the team will suffer, but i like to think that its a percentage thing. At the younger age groups, a higher percentage of time will be spent perfecting the individual technique, whereas when you get to U-18 and above the higher percentage of time will be spent on cementing the team's methodology.

How important is skill work and how do you implement this aspect in your practices? . I believe that almost everything in practice should be done with a ball. Yes you can do specific strength and agility training that can benefit you. But all training fitness wise should be done with a ball, this is more sport specific. In terms of in a player, positional skill is the most important thing, for example a center back in soccer will require a different sets of skills predominantly than a striker. Although 99% of 'good' players have a certain level of skill

What is your leadership or coaching style? I just flat out will do whatever i think the team requires me to do for them to have the best chance of winning. I have to be hands on, thats just me, i can handle losing if i have prepared my team to the best of my ability, but if i had left my assistants to do the coaching and we lost, i couldn't handle it. It just really depends on the situation, i have been quiet during games when i think that its what my team needs, and i have been over top in my instruction if thats what they need. Basically whatever it takes!

Are you positive or negative in trying to obtain results? Again its situational, i must admit that as i have got older i have been more mature in my approach after losses, but it depends, if the team has not tried hard or ignored instructions then i will be VERY vocal in putting my point across, sometimes arranging extra practices to 'reward' the negative behavior, these practices have no balls and require running shoes not cleats!

How do you critique or correct mistakes? Different players respond in different ways, once you get to know the player you can decide the best way to give him feedback to maximize his potential. Again, its all about getting the best out of the player so a good coach will learn 'tricks' to help the player 'get it'.

How do you motivate? I call them intangibles, motivation, pride, passion, energy, work rate, desire are all intrinsic and have to be controlled by the player. I always say if i have to get a player up for a game then hes playing for the wrong coach on the wrong team, that said i LOVE to praise during games, Great job PlayerX! Brilliant tackle player Y! You can see players grow 10 feet when you praise the good stuff they do. The negative stuff can be talked about later

Do you believe more in intrinsic or extrinsic motivation? Intrinsic to start with, then i can help add, although i like a passionate team talk, when you have done that you transfer into tactical mode of coaching.

What are your feelings about sportsmanship? Sportsmanship and class are intricate values of being a champion. Sure you can win a game without class, but very few teams win championships at the elite level without class, because with class and sportsmanship come the intangibles mentioned above that drive the individual

Do you teach it? If so give examples of how you do. Yes i teach it, but more so i like to plant seeds and let it grow. It is known we have rules, they are written so if you brake the sportsmanship rules you are punished. An example is a yellow card (for anything less than a tackle) = 1 mile, 2nd Yellow = 2 miles, 3rd mile = 3 miles, 4th yellow = possible removal form team. We had a player that got sent off with 8 seconds to go in a game when we were 8-1 up! He cussed as loud and as blatant as he could. He told me that he wanted me to keep him in games when we were up so we did. Until that. I removed him from the team that instant, and suspended him for 2 weeks and told him he had to earn the trust of myself and the team back, and HE had to come with ways to show that. To this day he has never received a red card and credits that time in his playing career as the turning point.

How do you deal with referees? You have to understand how hard there job is, 99% of them are trying to do the right thing, as long as there consistent thats all i can ask for.

Are you critical or low key? Depends what i think my team needs.

How do you teach your players to deal with the refs? Let me talk to them, you focus on the game, if your worried about the ref, fans, other players your not focused on YOUR game which is the #1 job for a player

How do you conduct tryouts? . a 3 week running period (dictated by SCHSL rules) and a 4 day playing period consisting of short sided games.

How many will you keep on your squad? Depends what the needs and talent level of the season present but i like to keep 22/23.

If you need to cut players how do you handle the situation? I bring EACH player in individually and talk to them, try and offer advice, encourage them to come out next year, to play club soccer. Theres nothing i can say to take away the hurt of being cut, but that doesn't mean you cant treat them in a humane way. Each players gets evaluated by the entire coaching staff.

How do you divide playing times in games? Best players play. It really is that simple.

Does everyone play? Not if i don't think its for the best for the program

What is your philosophy on playing time? Ok, if were up 6-0 after 20 mins yes were going to put in the second team, but were going to encourage those kids to play with all the verve and intangibles of the first team and to execute the system. Some of those players on the second team, might have once been on the first team, or are pushing for a place or more playing time. I have had coaches that have been mad I've pulled my starters, but honestly you don't want to embarrass somebody, but i will do WHATEVER is in the best interest of my program

Do you have assistants and what are their roles at practices and games? My assistants are primarily there to do exactly that, assist me. If i ask them a question i want an honest answer or opinion. I don't want an answer they want me to hear. I have made adjustments in games my coaches have suggested that i didn't agree with, but thought why not. We do a lot of huddling on the sideline. Practices are 90% taken by me. We may break up into groups to work on small positional stuff where my assistants will help.

Do you make up your game schedule? Yes.

What is your philosophy in regards to scheduling? . I want to play THE best schedule possible. We've had some great teams, but even when i have not great teams, i want to play the best teams, its the only way you get better.

List some liability issues that concern you most with your team? driving to and from practices on bad weather days

How do you deal with transportation to and from games? We leave on a bus all times together to and from games. If a parent wants to take a child after a game they have to give it to me in writing, but we encourage all players to ride the bus, thats where the banter and team spirit is!

Do you have a budget and what are the problems you face with staying with in its parameters? LOL! You should ask my AD he hates me! i am a soccer coach, not a budget person, i am lucky to have been able to tell him, when he says "No", " But we've won X,Y,Z" Hes a great guy, but he has to reign me in. I just want the best possible equipment and apparel for my team. I believe in everybody looking professional, I'm almost obsessive compulsive about it! Were lucky to have a deal With NIKE so we get hooked up.

How important are academics in relation to what you want to achieve with your team? Student - Athlete student first, athlete Second, not getting it done in the classroom, wont see the pitch.

What are the important issues with your booster club? Trying to get more money for that damn soccer coach!

How do you improve as a coach? I love the game, i mean i watch it 24/7 its on the TV while I'm typing this, its a replay of Barcelona Vs Real Madrid, which I've already watched. I talk about it ALL the time, its ingrained in my culture, its what brought me to America and keeps me here, its what puts food on my table. I just try and be a sponge, not just leraning off soccer coaches or websites or seminars, but learn form other sports coaches, wise people or just generally life can provide you with things you can use to your advantage in coaching. One of my favorite sayings is "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger" Tell me that isn't a life saying!

What do you do to keep up with the new methods and styles of coaching? Coaching Courses, Internet, talking with coaches, seminars and clinics. Although if i had to have a dream it would be traveling around the world for a couple of months and taking in practices and games with some of the best clubs in the world, wow what a holiday that would be!

Where do you wanna take your career in coaching? Ultimately as long as I'm happy, healthy and still having a positive effect on players, i really don't mind where i am or what I'm coaching. There is a certain mystique about coaching elite soccer at whatever level your involved in.....The dream would go College assistant at a big school, head coach at a big school, MLS head coach, Assistant Coach of Premier league team, Head coach of Aston Villa FC, then win the world cup with England. Yeah id be happy with that!

Since all of the successes you have achieved at the youth and high school level do you wanna take your career to different levels ex(College, pro)? Again, I've had offers, but it has to be the right offer, i have a job that i love (teaching middle school PE) and i absolutely adore the kids I've worked with and am working with now, so i am in a good position, i have a good platform to turn down or pursue job offers!

Cracking read Dom, thanks.

Appreciate it mate!

Well Irmo beat Wando last night, so if we win, we set up a rematch of last years final....

Northwestern visits Mauldin for Upper State title

By Barry Byers - bbyers@heraldonline.com Keeping focus and not looking ahead will be a major undertaking for the Northwestern and Mauldin boys soccer team.

They go into their Upper State championship game tonight at Mauldin knowing the other half of the bracket was completed last night, and that the winner of their game will play either Irmo or Wando for the Class AAAA state championship on Saturday at Columbia's Memorial Stadium.

It wasn't supposed to be this way, but rain wiped out their game originally scheduled for Tuesday night. Because the Dorman and Mauldin girls Upper State game was postponed because of rain on Monday, they had to play Tuesday night and the boys were moved to 7 tonight.

And if the opponent is Irmo, the Yellow Jackets surely will be on the minds of the Trojans players. Last year, Northwestern was ranked No. 1 in the state and nationally. Irmo was No. 2 in the same polls.

They met for the state championship and Northwestern won 3-1 and nailed it's second straight title and third in four years. Earlier this season, Irmo turned the tables with a 3-1 victory.

Northwestern coach Dom Wren doesn't believe his players will be looking ahead and said he's seen no signs of that at any time this season.

"If we had a young team that had never been in this position before, yes, keeping them focused might be a problem,'' he said. "But most of these players (Trojans) have been in big games and have played in the state championship. They know if we lose focus and worry about our next game, we will only be hurting ourselves.

"Our focus is on Mauldin, and I don't think that will change knowing our players the way I do. We will be ready to play Mauldin. Then, if we win, we will start getting ready for Wando or Irmo. But first we have to take care of the game we have to play.''

Both games, Tuesday night's at Irmo and tonight's at Mauldin, have histories. Last year, Northwestern beat Mauldin 5-0 in the quarterfinals and followed up with a 3-1 win over Fort Mill in the Upper State title game.

Irmo played Wando in the Lower State championship and eked out a 3-2 win to get to the title game against the Trojans.

The latest Class AAAA boys poll is a tribute to the four remaining schools, and it's not one that looks much different other than Northwestern went wire-to-wire at No. 1 last season on the way to a 24-0 record.

Irmo (24-1) is No. 1, Northwestern (25-2) No. 2, Wando 25-3 (No. 3) and Mauldin (17-6) No. 4.

Barry Byers 329-4099

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/05/19/2178936/northwestern-visits-mauldin-for.html#ixzz0oNOyDAg8