2010 High School Coaching Thread!

Dom_Wren

dobbinsmauldin.jpg

muxmauldin.jpg

Northwestern wins upper state, will face Irmo Saturday for state title

Northwestern to face Irmo for another title shot

By Barry Byers - bbyers@heraldonline.com MAULDIN -- Northwestern's Dennis Moore has played in the shadows of teammates Alex Martinez and Ricky Garbanzo scoring-wise throughout this spring's Class AAAA boys soccer playoffs.

Not on Wednesday night against Mauldin in the Upper State championship game. Moore scored a goal in each half, all the Trojans needed in their 4-1 victory over the Mavericks.

Northwestern, 26-2, ranked No. 2 in the state and the two-time defending state champion, plays No. 1 Irmo in a rematch of last year's title game at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Columbia's Memorial Stadium. The Trojans won last year's championship game, 3-1. Mauldin, No. 4, ended its season at 17-7.

Gwinn Davis/The Greenville News - Mauldin's Bradon Hurt and Northwestern's Jeremy Dobbins battle for control of the ball.

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS

Moore took a pass from Will Mux and made a run from the right side with 25:35 left in the game and with the scored tied 1-1. He never slowed while charging Mavericks' goalie Charlie Harned, racing toward Mauldin's keeper like a runaway train on an icy track.

He cocked his leg five yards out and drilled the ball in the back-left corner of the net for a 2-1 Trojans' lead. Harned never had a chance for a save.

"I was going as fast as I could,'' Moore said. "If I had slowed or let up, it would have allowed him to get into position. By making the run, I got him off balance and was able to kick the ball past him.

"The goal put us ahead for good, but this was another example of our team doing what's needed to win. We got two more goals after mine and they took the pressure off us.''

At the 15:08 mark, the Trojans scored the goal that gave them a 2-point cushion and pretty much slammed the door on Mauldin. Martinez sent a shot home for a 3-1 Trojans lead. And with 4:52 remaining, Garbanzo ensured thoughts of a comeback were merely a dream for the Mavericks, scoring with a straight-on goal and a 4-1 Trojans' lead.

"Dennis took two difficult shots that ended with two outstanding finishes,'' Trojans coach Dom Wren said. "But what he provided for us the most was a huge boost of senior leadership. You have to give Mauldin credit because they gave us everything we had. But we held on and got an outstanding game from Sam Faris, our keeper.''

Just under nine minutes into the opening half, Moore was free 12 yards out and straight on against Harned after a pass from Ryan Foster. Harned moved up a step and prepared for the ball, hoping it was reachable or blasted into his gut.

Moore seemed to be reading Harned's mind.

Instead of trying to zip the ball past, Moore got under it an lofted a shot over Harned's head for the only goal of the first half.

The first half wasn't typical Northwestern soccer as far as time of possession and shots taken. The Trojans had several good flurries on Mauldin's end, but none but Moore's goal amounted to much.

Mauldin was the aggressor and took the ball right at the Trojans, playing on Northwestern's side most of the half. The Mavericks, who led in shots 7-2 at the half, had three very good scoring opportunities, but a combination of good defense and being off target kept the Trojans in the lead.

Mauldin took a good shot at the 23:52 mark just outside the right post.

A shot much like that one was taken at 15:39 and more on target. But Sam Foster moved in front of the right post for the save.

Foster is usually the loneliest Trojans' player on the field because seldom do opponents reach double figures in shots. The Mavericks outshot Northwestern 16-10 and Faris has a season-high seven saves.

"You hate any time the other team gets in position to score,'' Faris said. "And on the other hand you want to show people your abilities. As long as you keep the other team from winning, a game like this is fun.''

Mauldin's most painful miss was a close shot from the left with 10:42 left in the half. Alejandro Bedoya broke free and fired a shot that was headed into the right corner of the net. Faris dove to his right, and while parallel with the ground, got his hand on the ball and knocked it away.

Mauldin continued its constant attack as the second half opened, missing a pair of close shots inside the first four minutes. But at the 34:38 mark, Mauldin's Ignacio Monchetti picked up a loose ball just outside the box and fired it past Faris to tie the score, 1-1.

Less than two minutes later, the Mavericks missed again and had outshot the Trojans 5-0 to start the final 40 minutes.

NORTHWESTERN 4

MAULDIN 1

First half

N - 31:52, Dennis Moore, assist Ryan Foster

Second half

M - 34:38, Ignacio Monchetti, unassisted

N - 25:35, Moore

N - 15:08, Alex Martinez, unassisted

N - 4:52, Ricky Garbanzo, unassisted

Shots on goal: Northwestern 10. Mauldin 16

Corner kicks: Northwestern 3. Mauldin 4

Goalies: Northwestern - Sam Faris (7 saves). Mauldin - Charlie Harned (2 saves)

Records: Northwestern 26-2. Mauldin 17-7

Barry Byers 329-4099

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/05/20/2182106/trojans-to-defend-title.html#ixzz0oTLtmx00

Lovely touch by Moore for the second.

Mate great spot!

It looked even better in real life speed, he had to touch it far enough infront so he wouldnt break stride or the defender would catch him, and also far enough but not too far to draw the GK out!

It was a lovely goal. Just finished the final pieces of the 9 page dossier for the boys.

Were meeting as a coaching staff to watch the tape one more time. Then brining the boys in @ 6pm to jog, stretch and go over the game plan.

Then Sat in to eat subs and fruit and plenty of water, and watch the CL final on the big screen, then head down.

Then its time to put the women and children to bed, as the Trojan Army are in town to take care of buisness!

dont know if its free but the game is on this link if your up late on Sat night. 7pm EST kick off, midnight UK time!

http://www.schsl.tv/events/10755

Might pop back on if we get any more coverage but other than that, will post a final on the blackberry on the way back.

Cheers for al the support, its been a wild ride....ONE MORE!!!

Dom

Good to see you rockin' the Martin Allen-style tank-top, Dom. ;)

HAHA!!

They call it a sweater vest over here so havent heard tank top for ages, ACE!

Im going Pep Guardiola on Sat. All black Suit and Tie, prob no jacket tho as it will be bloody hot!

So is that the highest level of School football over there Dom. I don't really know or understand the system you have out there. Great work getting them there.

Yes it is mate, Each state has different classifications based on size, normally they are classified as A AA AAA AAAA etc...

We play in the largest classification in South Carolina, AAAA.

Each region has 4 qualifiers, that enter into a knockout tournament (32 teams) very similar to world cup. It is split into upper and lower state due to geographical size. So were upper state champs and Irmo is lower stae champs.

Different states play there soccer at different parts of the year. Once you win a state championship, there is no national tournament it just ends there.

Hope this helps, any other questions id be happy to answer.

Come on then, details :-)

Oh mate, it was NUTS!

So ok, we make the final, against the same team from last year, and the team that beat us (I thought comprehensively) earlier in the season 3-1......

So as per usual, I prepared, I studied them (we hada dvd of our game), watched the tape 5 times in 3 days.

We changed our whole formation. They played 3-5-2, so we matched up with them defensively, but also made them worry about us with our strengths up top. So we went 3-4-3.

Well the game kicks off our biggest fears were realized, as they pusehd there defensive mid high, now this did leave us 3 on 3 at the back, but we couldnt find them. So we dropped our central forward to an attacking mid, and matched up man for man in a 3-5-2. Not gonna lie they were putting us under alot of pressure, especially at set pieces, because we were not organized. Which dissapointed me, because we had given them a game plan.

So half time comes, and because of the noise, this is our only time to be able to talk to the lads. So we stressed organization on set pieces, delay on counter, and play the forwards feet, well the rest as they say is history!!

We came out and went 3-0 up! they managed to come back to 3-2 thanks to two own goals, then Dennis Moore iced it in the last seconds to make it 4-2!!

Unreal, i will post all the articles etc.. when i get to school tomorrow, but this has to have been my best coaching job!

All credit to the boys though, they were faultless!