2010 High School Coaching Thread!

Dom_Wren

I knew some of you kept up to date with the amazing season last year found in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/ygw8f5y

Well its that time of year again, and what a way to start off. The news i had posted in that thread was formally announced at the NSCAA (national soccer coaches association of America) convention in Philladelphia this past weekend:

Enzo Martinez named National Player of the Year:

enzoespn.jpg

Enzo Martinez (Northwestern High School/Rock Hill, S.C.) and Kealia Ohai (Alta High School/Sandy, Utah) have been named the 2009 NSCAA/adidas High School National Players of the Year. They will be recognized at the annual All-America Luncheon, held in Philadelphia, Pa., on Jan. 16, as part of the 2010 NSCAA Convention.

About Enzo Martinez

A three-time South Carolina state player of the year, the senior forward set the state record for career goals with 182, the sixth-most in interscholastic history. A four-time all-state selection and SCASA Player of the Year, he tallied 454 points in his high school career and had 29 hat tricks. A two-time NSCAA High School All-America, he also helped lead Discoveries SC to the USYS U-18 national title. He now plays at North Carolina.

http://tinyurl.com/yfppfzb

Dom Wren named National Coach of the Year:

Youth Boys

Dominic Wren, Discoveries Soccer Club, South Carolina

Wren has been associated with Discoveries since 1998, when he started coaching a U-11 team while playing at Winthrop University. Currently a teacher in Rock Hill, S.C., he coached the 90 Green Premier team to the 2009 USYS U18 Boys National Championship. The 2009 SCYSA Coach of the Year, he also is the 2009 High School Boys Large School Coach of the Year for the South region.

http://tinyurl.com/yz5rsjc

Weve already started preseason conditioning nad have a very good solid XI coming back, after that we dont have much depth, so it will be an interesting year. We lost four Division one college players last year so we need those quality players coming back to step up. We played a 4-3-3 last year, VERY attacking, and were moving away from that this year with a Chelseaesque 4-4-2 diamond, allowing the width to come from the full backs.

I will keep this thread up to date as and when stuff happens, but as before please feel free, coach, player or just observer to ask questions or add to the thread!

Cheers

Dom

Out of all the wannabe managers on VT, you're probably the most qualified!

Aye, but coach Wren did suggest that Collins play in midfield. He clearly doesn't know what he's on about. ;)

Congrats for last years achievement Dom, and best of luck in the upcoming season. :thumb:

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I still think Collins can do a job at a defensive mid in a 3/5 man midfield ;) ;)

In America whenever you win a state championship in high school each member gets a ring, here is a picture of all 3 rings. I dont have the first one, i gave it to my dad for xmas as a kind of thank you, as none of this would have been possible without him, the other two i still have but havent worn them at the same time yet!

rings1.jpg

rings2.jpg

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I still think Collins can do a job at a defensive mid in a 3/5 man midfield ;) ;)

In America whenever you win a state championship in high school each member gets a ring, here is a picture of all 3 rings. I dont have the first one, i gave it to my dad for xmas as a kind of thank you, as none of this would have been possible without him, the other two i still have but havent worn them at the same time yet!

Congrats on your award, and sounds like a really nice gesture.

Thanks again guys for all the kind comments!

So did MO'N today.

:P

Did he really!?

Whole game? How did he look?

Yes,

Just the last 5 minutes or so though, a period when we conceded :lol:

LMFAO, genuine chuckle at that! Oh well i guess will learn me!

• 2 weeks later...

2010 Signing day In America!

In the US, kids who get college scholarships often sign on today. Its cool for the media, especially for the big football and basketball recruits, to have them sign in one day. Well today, Dennis Moore signed for Wofford college on a full scholarship.

Den Den as hes known is an amazing young man, adopted from an orphanage in Liberia, he is now going to be studying to become a doctor, a fantastic player, built like a NFL running back, hes a striker that is a huge asset to the team this year, and is a team captain!

Wofford is one of the best schools in America and i just couldnt prouder of the fella

img00068201002031047.jpg

Does he like lupins? :-)

Oh lordy, dont you start!

Great kid mate, and an amzing story behind him being in USA. Just could not be prouder!

Makes these chavs and scumbags who complain about opportunities look complete knobs.