2010 High School Coaching Thread!

Dom_Wren

Well, How proper and professional the standard is at these colleges whatever!

Well we inherited the whole athletic endeavor creates a better person thing from you lot (Waterloo being won on the playing fields of Eton and all that). Since the schools are generally repository of local pride, you get the level of community interest that you do: if you're looking for something approaching football's passion in the US sports scene you have to go to high school/college sports.

would barely get 3 people turn up for games in here and highest level of youth football is academies, I don't think they have academies at clubs do they in America?

MLS sorta kinda does (or did... I think the financial crisis may have put paid to that idea), but none of the other sports bother: why spend the money on that when the public schools are willing to do it for free? Hell, the lack of reserve leagues in gridiron and the near-lack of them in basketball (there is the D-League, but that's mostly for the players coming out of college ball without enough skill to make it in the NBA) is attributable to the collegiate/university level of those sports being such an independent industry.

It's weird how the system works over there compared to here.

How so?

Well, How proper and professional the standard is at these colleges whatever!

would barely get 3 people turn up for games in here and highest level of youth football is academies, I don't think they have academies at clubs do they in America?

It is amazing the resources, facilities, opportunities etc...here in America.

I went to DMU Bedford for one year before coming here and we were pretty good, but we had no showers, brought our own shorts, and had to clear the dog muck off our field. This was my college here in the states:

Eagle Field:

eaglefield.jpg

Other side of the field:

eagle2z.jpg

Big Crowd Vs Clemson:

winthropcrowd.jpg

Locker room:

lockerroom.jpg

scoreboard:

scoreboard.jpg

This is the building where the physio, weightroom, locker room etc..is:

Coliseum2.jpg

When I was growing up playing Rugby and football, I was soooo jealous of the crowds American High Schools and colleges get.

The biggest crowd I played in front of pales in comparison. And that was playing for Midlands rugby, a step below England!

• 2 weeks later...

Played first 2 games (scrimmages) this weekend.

Won 4-0 and 7-0!

The boys did great, and whilst it wont be like last year, we played really well!

PS - If anybody wants to keep up with us on the net, add Trojan Belief on facebook. I will post pics, schedules, news etc...

ESPN released its pre season State rankings. National top 50 pre season rankings come out Tuesday:

Boys state-by-state rankings - Spring

February 23, 2010 2:07 PM

By Sheldon Shealer, editor

Today, we release the preseason weekly ESPN Rise boys' soccer state-by-state rankings for the spring season with the ESPN RISE spring FAB 50 to appear later Tuesday on ESPNRise.com.

(Preseason Rankings, does not reflect any matches already played)

Top 10s

Georgia: 1. Collins Hill, 2. Centennial, 3. Walton, 4. Parkview, 5. Brookwood, 6. Marist, 7. McIntosh, 8. Lassiter, 9. Peachtree Ridge, 10. St. Pius.

South Carolina: 1. Northwestern, 2. Irmo, 3. Wando, 4. Fort Mill, 5. J.L. Mann, 6. South Aiken, 7. Pinewood Prep, 8. Bishop England, 9. Chapin, 10. Spring Valley.

Virginia: 1. Frank Cox, 2. Oakton, 3. South County, 4. Robinson, 5. Thomas Jefferson, 6. Blacksburg, 7. Thomas Dale, 8. Patrick Henry, 9. Mills Godwin, 10. Westfield.

Top 7s

Oklahoma: 1. Tulsa Union, 2. Norman North, 3. Putnam City North, 4. Bishop Kelley, 5. Edmond Memorial, 6. Edmond Santa Fe, 7. Booker T. Washington.

Tennessee: 1. Farragut, 2. Bearden, 3. Father Ryan, 4. Christian Brothers, 5. Brentwood, 6. Knoxville West, 7. Kingsbury.

Washington: 1. Shorecrest, 2. Todd Beamer, 3. Stadium, 4. Pasco, 5. Bellarmine Prep, 6. South Kitsap, 7. Marysville-Pilchuck.

Top 5s

Alabama: 1. John Carroll, 2. Hoover, 3. Oak Mountain, 4. Mountain Brook, 5. Grissom.

Iowa: 1. Iowa City West, 2. Ankeny, 3. West Des Moines Valley, 4. Cedar Rapids Kennedy, 5. Dowling Catholic.

Nebraska: 1. Kearney, 2. Burke, 3. Millard West, 4. Creighton Prep, 5. Westside.

Utah: 1. Brighton, 2. Mountain View, 3. Viewmont, 4. Copper Hills, 5. Highland.

Top 3s

Arkansas: 1. Little Rock Catholic, 2. Searcy, 3. Conway.

Top 1s

Alaska: 1. Juneau Douglas.

Wyoming: 1. Central.

To report an inaccurate record or to supply updates for ranked teams or teams that should be considered, e-mail sheldon.shealer@espn.com.

Soccer, GA, SC, VA, OK, TN, WA, AL, IA, NE, UT, AR, WY

http://tinyurl.com/yjxq5l5

Dont forget to add Trojan Beleif on Facebook if you want to keep up with the latest news!!

I told a lie! National pre season rankings came out today:

Northwestern Tops the ESPN Fab 50 Spring Pre-Season Rankings

Posted on: Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Northwestern Varsity Boys Soccer team has been ranked #1 nationally in the ESPN Fab 50 Spring Pre-Season Poll. They held this spot throughout the 2009 season and won the 2009 National Championship by going 24-0 and defeating Irmo, currently ranked #4, in the SC AAAA state championship game.

The Trojans will face 4 teams currently ranked in the top 50 of the national rankings this year and could possibly face a 5th. The possible match up could come against #4 ranked Irmo on Sunday, 3/7/10, in the finals of the Lake Murray Challenge. Both teams would have to advance through one game on that Friday and two that Saturday to meet in the finals at Dutch Fork Stadium at 2:00 PM. The Trojans will also face 3 other nationally ranked teams in the Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland Cayce High School. First up for the Trojans will be #41 Pinewood Prep on Wednesday, 4/7, at 12:00 PM at BCHS. On Thursday, 4/8, NHS will battle #10 Norman North, OK at 4:00 PM. Then on Friday, 4/9, they will face #9 Farragut, TN at 4:00 PM. Finally, the Trojans have two match ups with region foe #22 Fort Mill. These matches are Wednesday, 3/24, at Fort Mill at 7:00 PM and Tuesday, 4/20, at NHS at 7:00 PM.

To see the complete ESPN Fab 50 Spring National rankings, click the link below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/fab50?sportId=10020040&seasonType=3

Complete table:

Preseason

Rank School Record Prev. Rank Notes/Comments

1 Northwestern (Rock Hill, SC) 0-0 NR

2 Collins Hill (Suwanee, GA) 0-0 NR

3 Frank Cox (Virginia Beach, VA) 0-0 NR

4 Irmo (Columbia, SC) 0-0 NR

5 Tulsa Union (Tulsa, OK) 0-0 NR

6 Shorecrest (Shoreline, WA) 0-0 NR

7 Oakton (Vienna, VA) 0-0 NR

8 Beamer (Federal Way, WA) 0-0 NR

9 Farragut (Knoxville, TN) 0-0 NR

10 Norman North (Norman, OK) 0-0 NR

11 Centennial (Roswell, GA) 0-0 NR

12 South County (Lorton, VA) 0-0 NR

13 Robinson Secondary School (Fairfax, VA) 0-0 NR

14 George Walton Comprehensive H. S. (Marietta, GA) 0-0 NR

15 West (Iowa City, IA) 0-0 NR

16 John Carroll Catholic (Birmingham, AL) 0-0 NR

17 Wando (Mount Pleasant, SC) 0-0 NR

18 Putnam City North (Oklahoma City, OK) 0-0 NR

19 Stadium (Tacoma, WA) 0-0 NR

20 Thomas Jefferson (Alexandria, VA) 0-0 NR

21 Parkview (Lilburn, GA) 0-0 NR

22 Fort Mill (Fort Mill, SC) 0-0 NR

23 Brookwood (Snellville, GA) 0-0 NR

24 Bearden (Knoxville, TN) 0-0 NR

25 Blacksburg (Blacksburg, VA) 0-0 NR

26 Bishop Kelley (Tulsa, OK) 0-0 NR

27 Marist School (Atlanta, GA) 0-0 NR

28 Father Ryan (Nashville, TN) 0-0 NR

29 Pasco (Pasco, WA) 0-0 NR

30 Ankeny (Ankeny, IA) 0-0 NR

31 Brighton (Salt Lake City, UT) 0-0 NR

32 Thomas Dale (Chester, VA) 0-0 NR

33 J. L. Mann (Greenville, SC) 0-0 NR

34 McIntosh (Peachtree City, GA) 0-0 NR

35 Edmond Memorial (Edmond, OK) 0-0 NR

36 Bellarmine Preparatory School (Tacoma, WA) 0-0 NR

37 Hoover (Birmingham, AL) 0-0 NR

38 Kearney (Kearney, NE) 0-0 NR

39 South Aiken (Aiken, SC) 0-0 NR

40 Lassiter (Marietta, GA) 0-0 NR

41 Pinewood Prep (Summerville, SC) 0-0 NR

42 Patrick Henry (Roanoke, VA) 0-0 NR

43 Edmond Santa Fe (Edmond, OK) 0-0 NR

44 Christian Brothers (Memphis, TN) 0-0 NR

45 Oak Mountain (Birmingham, AL) 0-0 NR

46 Catholic For Boys (Little Rock, AR) 0-0 NR

47 Mills E. Godwin (Richmond, VA) 0-0 NR

48 Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, OK) 0-0 NR

49 South Kitsap (Port Orchard, WA) 0-0 NR

50 Valley (West Des Moines, IA) 0-0 NR

• 2 weeks later...

Well we wont be # 1 for too long......

This weekend marks the big preseason tournament in SC prep soccer. We always knew it would be tough as we have no real depth to come off the bench and contribute. Also we had a few knocks and playing 4 games in 2 days under those conditions would be tough. No excuses though, we deserved to get beat! We lost 3-1 in the fnial to irmo, the team from last years state final. They were phsycially stronger and capitilzed on our mistakes. Its a choker though as thats the big rival on the state level!

We live and learn, and get on with it, and try to be ready for the next time we play them. Im proud of the lads for the effort and intensity, well ice and rest and start regular season on weds!

2010 Team Photo:

2010varsityboys.jpg

Dom,

I will pay you the generous sum of £17 a week to come and coach my Sunday league team. Flights/accomodation/food not included.

I await your acceptance.

Sounds great mate!

:lol:

Dom, I asume you dismissed this as a joke.

Our current manager leaves in June, freeing up some wages.

My revised offer is £17.26 per week plus 1 pint of carling and a balti pie as a win bonus. Flights and accomodation still not included, but as you can see, I have now thrown food into the mix.

Again, I await your inevitable acceptance.

You drive a hard bargain Dom. You can have a pack of Nobby's Nuts, but if you want me to stretch to KP then you're havin' a laugh you money grabbing bastard! ;)

Is that Drogba in the front row, just off-center?

I thought that was Dennis Moore, galloping through the sward, on his horse Concord

Gloves and polo-necks in SC? A very disappointing development! :huh:

Mate it has been BALTIC here lately, weve already had 3 bouts of snow!

It is supposed to be 70 Degrees today though ;)

Gloves and polo-necks in SC? A very disappointing development! :huh:

Mate it has been BALTIC here lately, weve already had 3 bouts of snow!

Glad I cancelled my planned trip to Charlotte then ;)