The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Jacobs took the loss really well though, he had a pop about the result when he said GGG got the nod because of the money involved in him and Canelo but he didn't come across like he was whinging.

GGG was very lucky tonight and he knows it.

I agree, Jacobs was robbed. His tactics were brilliant, his feints and lateral movement made it very hard for GGG to get off. He did a great job at rolling and moving back from GGG's punches to take the sting off them too. For Golovkin's part, it was an awful approach, clearly spent the entire fight headhunting believe he'd land the shot to put Jacobs away, he did not invest to the body anywhere near enough.

Interestingly, Compubox (hardly perfect) had GGG throwing and landing more punches on average per round. But the eyeball test had Jacobs winning that fight by 2-3 rounds for me. 

The Gonzalez fight was amazing, didn't think he would lose that but for me confirms that super fly-weight is a bit of a bridge too far. He struggled with his opponents size and strength throughout. 

• Like 1

Yeah the Gonzalez fight was brilliant, a real war with both of them throwing plenty of leather, I honestly thought that Roman was going to get him out of there in one of the middle rounds, I think it was the end of the 5th or 6th, he really beat the Thai dude up and I thought the following round was going to be the end, Thai dude showed some real heart though.

It's a shame to see Roman lose in that fashion he doesn't belong in that weight class but he had to go where the money fights were, unfortunately it looks like the money fights will be on the back burner now as well.

I wasn't aware of the weight issues before the GGG v Jacobs fight, apparently Jacobs ballooned up to 176 after missing the last weigh in, I know people always tend to over exaggerate weight gain after things like this but it could have played a part in the way the fight panned out

4 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Yeah the Gonzalez fight was brilliant, a real war with both of them throwing plenty of leather, I honestly thought that Roman was going to get him out of there in one of the middle rounds, I think it was the end of the 5th or 6th, he really beat the Thai dude up and I thought the following round was going to be the end, Thai dude showed some real heart though.

It's a shame to see Roman lose in that fashion he doesn't belong in that weight class but he had to go where the money fights were, unfortunately it looks like the money fights will be on the back burner now as well.

I wasn't aware of the weight issues before the GGG v Jacobs fight, apparently Jacobs ballooned up to 176 after missing the last weigh in, I know people always tend to over exaggerate weight gain after things like this but it could have played a part in the way the fight panned out

It's a good point, he dodged the IBF same day weigh-in (I believe the limit is 170lbs). So yes clearly the much bigger guy on the night, looked like a super middleweight. 

wow, barely any posts about last nights boxing, I thought that GGG being taken the distance and given a real tough fight would have had a few more people talking, and if anyone would have watched the Roman fight then they would definitely have had something to talk about.

On 3/19/2017 at 15:57, leemond2008 said:

wow, barely any posts about last nights boxing, I thought that GGG being taken the distance and given a real tough fight would have had a few more people talking, and if anyone would have watched the Roman fight then they would definitely have had something to talk about.

I've actually rewatched both fights and have different opinions on them, I had the volume way down so I couldn't hear much of the commentary. Doing that I scored the Gonzalez fight to Gonzalez, he both threw and landed way more punches than his opponent and the much cleaner shots, snapping his opponents head back frequently. Checking the compubox after confirmed this. I'm actually amazed Gonzalez lost and I believe the judges up-scored his opponent based on the underdog doing so well. I had Gonzalez winning by 4 rounds.

I also do not think Golovkin was robbed, it was a close fight, but again, IMO the case of the underdog doing so well that he picked up rounds on account of that rather than legitimately winning them (in the minds of those who are citing a robbery). Jacobs did very well but Golovkin's jab was a thing of beauty and out-landed Jacob's jab significantly. Golovkin also landed the better shots throughout the fight. Golovkin outlanded Jacob's in 9 of the 12 rounds of the fight. I scored it 115-112 for Golovkin on second viewing.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I scored it to Jacobs first time around but it was a close fight, I'm planning on rewatching it tonight, the general consensus seems from the people that scored it to Jacobs originally and have rewatched it (like yourself) have changed their mind upon the second viewing.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He needs to avenge his defeat to Kovalev ;)

I would like to see a rematch of that as I think it should have ended a draw although I rate ward for coming back after being knocked down early.

I'd be surprised if ward offers a rematch. It's  a dangerous fight for him

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I would like to see a rematch of that as I think it should have ended a draw although I rate ward for coming back after being knocked down early.

I'd be surprised if ward offers a rematch. It's  a dangerous fight for him

Clearly lost to Kovalev IMO and if he doesn't give him the rematch then he's a coward.

Triple G won that fight , it just wasn't in the destructive style everyone has come to expect  . I thought Jacobs could of been a bit more offensive, and let's be honest ,triple G hardly had a mark on him, as opposed to Jacobs ,hence the shades at the post press conference. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Been waiting to see what Andre ward is going for next. Would like to see ward vs GGG, although agreeing on  weight might be a issue

Probably take up wrestling ,because thats all he does nowadays. Terrible fighter to watch. 

• Like 1

Linares is not as good as Team Sky make out, undoubtedly very talented but will get knocked out by Mikey Garcia. Crolla is just a basic, slightly better than domestic level fighter, someone Linares is at least a level if not two above. I gave every round to Linares. 

I really do hate the Sky commentary. Adam Smith has an unbelievably annoying voice, no where near as good as Ian Darke and Carl Froch offers absolutely no insight.  

Watched the whole undercard and fell asleep during the ring walks, didn't catch a single round of the main even DOH!!!

mind you I don't know if I'll bother watching it today, sounds like it was a complete shut out.

And yeah Garcia eats Linares for breakfast 

• 2 weeks later...

good night of boxing tonight

Smith v Williams - Smith missed weight and refused a second weigh in 2 hours later, unusual for him, I can't remember anything like this happening for him before, I think it is a genuine oversight rather than him trying to gain any advantage in an underhand way, plus it means that he can't win the interim title tonight as well. I've had a couple of quid on Williams but I'd like to see Beefy do it.

Flannagan v Petrov - Flannagan looked brilliant for a few fights but since he has actually won the belt he hasn't looked great, Petrov has had a few world title challenges before and has come up short (namely against Maidana I believe) bookies have Flannagan as the overwhelming fave but I've put some money on Petrov to cause the upset, I don't know if it'll happen but it wouldn't surprise me.

Daniel Dubois is making his pro heavyweight debut as well, I don't know much about him but I've seen a few interviews and he comes across a nice enough lad with his head screwed on, It'd be nice to have another heavyweight come to fruition

Loma v Sosa is on in the early hours as well, Sosa missed the weight at his first attempt as well (not sure if he came in for the second weigh in or not) I'm looking forward to seeing Loma again, especially after the let down that was the Walters fight (even though that was nothing to do with Loma, Walters just looked as though he didn't want to be there as early as the ring walk) Sosa can't try to outbox Loma so his only chance is to try and make it ugly and fight on the inside but I just can't see anything other than an easy win for Loma, you don't get to being one of the P4P's after only 8 pro fights unless you are pretty special

Just watching the Loma fight now, its got exactly as predicted, easy night for Loma

Smith was damn lucky with the win yesterday, he was getting beat easy by Williams and the cut came via a headbutt, Williams was gassing towards the end so Smith would most likely have come on strong in the final rounds, the judges had him 1 point down at the time of the stoppage, I think I had it by about 3 points so he would have had a lot of work to do to win on points, he also came across as a proper prick in the interviews afterwards.

Flanagan, failed to really impress again, he won the fight but Petrov made it difficult and awkward for him, Garcia or Linares would beat him easy, I can't remember what the fight Warren said he wanted but I'm pretty sure Garcia wasn't mentioned once

Dubois, pathetic, beat a dude with bitch tits in 20 seconds but it was his debut so it was always going to be a gimmee but I don't think they wanted the other dude to go down quite so early

Â