The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Looks in good nick, 262 pounds 

Compulsory shove at the weigh in 

He was always going to be focused for this. Let's give him some credit. He has always stepped  - up when needed. This is what he loves, centre of attention. I hope he wins and then plays with AJ, after that, he retires "unbeaten." Who was the last Heavyweight to do that?

I remember Holmes getting robbed against Spinks, after his remark about Marciarno's "Jock - strap". Poor old Larry, that  "Jab" was a thing of beauty. His chin wasn't bad either. 

• Like 2

Not relevant, but it’s very interesting Tony Bellew said Fury is 6 foot 6 max

Last time I seen Bellew, he was moaning about the price of a " Fredo Bar".

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He was always going to be focused for this. Let's give him some credit. He has always stepped  - up when needed. This is what he loves, centre of attention. I hope he wins and then plays with AJ, after that, he retires "unbeaten." Who was the last Heavyweight to do that?

I remember Holmes getting robbed against Spinks, after his remark about Marciarno's "Jock - strap". Poor old Larry, that  "Jab" was a thing of beauty. His chin wasn't bad either. 

I always like the banter that Mohammed Ali sent out about Joe Frazier. But most importantly, he said if there’s anyone you wanted down in a trench with you, it would be Joe Frazier.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Last time I seen Bellew, he was moaning about the price of a " Fredo Bar".

Never the same since he got beaten  by Adonis Creed at Goodison Park

Edited by Follyfoot

Of all the annoying adjectives that get thrown around, I think "Bellend" might just be the worse. Terrible from the mouth of a female. I'm suddenly getting flashbacks of my Cell - mate watching Jeremy Kyle with unabashed excitement. 

I always like the banter that Mohammed Ali sent out about Joe Frazier. But most importantly, he said if there’s anyone you wanted down in a trench with you, it would be Joe Frazier.

I don't think Joe was reciprocal with the compliment. He really took the rivalry personal. I don't think he ever forgave Ali for the "Uncle Tom" jibes. Even though Ali kind of regretted, later in life, a lot of those comments.

Every time I think of that first fight, I picture that coat worn by Frank Lucas.😉😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't think Joe was reciprocal with the compliment. He really took the rivalry personal. I don't think he ever forgave Ali for the "Uncle Tom" jibes. Even though Ali kind of regretted, later in life, a lot of those comments.

Every time I think of that first fight, I picture that coat worn by Frank Lucas.😉😉

very daper indeed, purest Mink. I would imagine it was similar to the one Tyson ripped that caused Mitch Green such angst 😆

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Joe gave Ali money when he was banned from boxing, a true gentleman and a great boxer. Ali lacked a bit of class when it came to Joe I'm afraid.

Larry Homes, what a boxer he was, made it look easy.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

With the two main fights on the undercard, I expect Cordina to beat Cacace fairly easily. Opetaia vs Briedis could be quite good, depending on how much Briedis has left considering he hasn't fought since Opetaia beat him nearly two years ago.

Edited by Avfc96

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He seems focused now but was he ready in February? 

27 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Irrelevant now.

I know, I was actually after more details because I wasn’t really following closely at the time.

Do we think he wasn’t ready? Any chance they got it delayed on purpose? I’m curious even though it’s irrelevant.

It’ll certainly make for a better fight now than it would’ve then.

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

we think he wasn’t ready? Any chance they got it delayed on purpose? I’m curious even though it’s irrelevant.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Fury is far too experienced and clever, in a boxing sense, too underestimate Usyk.

• Like 1

Â