The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

49 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fury - Ruiz announced for July.

I can't shrug loudly enough to express my excitement for that one.

Hoping Tank delivers a real statement performance at the weekend.

Furys turned into such a muppet again. No interest in this fight at all

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Fury is such a joke. I'm sure the PPV numbers will absolutely suck and rightly so. Better still Ruiz gets lucky and knocks him out. 

I'm still on the fence with this one. I think it will either be Davis by late stoppage or Garcia beats him on points. Garcia looked pretty drained in the final presser imo, where as Davis looked fully hydrated already. It's an exciting fight though and hat boxing needs. 

Get on the draw mate. Got to be worth a cheeky little tenner, as you well know these things have a habit of dropping from time to time 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Garcia looked pretty drained in the final presser imo, where as Davis looked fully hydrated already. It's an exciting fight though and what boxing needs. 

Be interesting to see how he looks at the weigh in.

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Get on the draw mate. Got to be worth a cheeky little tenner, as you well know these things have a habit of dropping from time to time 

Only one problem with that. As soon as I put money down the reverse happens. I've already lost a few quid betting against Villa these last 6 weeks just to keep Europe on track 😂

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Be interesting to see how he looks at the weigh in.

Yeah, I'm interested to see how he looks tbh. If he's drained too much I think he might struggle if it goes into the later rounds. 

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Yeah, I'm interested to see how he looks tbh. If he's drained too much I think he might struggle if it goes into the later rounds. 

Did you see the fast hand challenge with Sugar Ray?  the champs still got it😄

On 15/04/2023 at 23:12, sheepyvillian said:

You have to feel for Joyce, should have had a title shot a while ago, but now will likely never get one. Definitely underestimated his opponent. 

Lost a stone in weight and had no defence against a south paw, bad coaching. Feel for him, it was a painfull fight to watch as a Joyce fan. 

6 hours ago, tinker said:

Lost a stone in weight and had no defence against a south paw, bad coaching. Feel for him, it was a painfull fight to watch as a Joyce fan. 

Speaking to an ex boxer about it today, he reckons Joyce didn't want to know once he'd been hurt. Could have a point, because before that bout he hadn't really been hurt. 

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Speaking to an ex boxer about it today, he reckons Joyce didn't want to know once he'd been hurt. Could have a point, because before that bout he hadn't really been hurt. 

Don't think Zhang could believe his luck, seemed embarrassed to throw his right, every time he did in hit Joyce bang on his cheek, he nearly knocked him out the first time he did and that was in the first 60 seconds of the fight.

The corner didn't seem to address it, Joyce needed to raise his defence, it was disappointing to say the least and shows he's out of his depth. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm not sure about that Sheepy. The idea that Joyce has never been hurt before during his amateur days or in the pro ranks with his defence is hard to believe. For a start he never stop coming forward during the fight which maybe the adrenaline but I also think that he was fully aware of the damage to the eye. I've been in a similar situation albeit in the amateurs and had my eye balloon up during a fight through a clash of heads, only once and as uncomfortable as it was the main concern is being stopped by the ref, which I was more or less immediately after. It was a golf ball size lump over my eye, but given the choice I'd have carried on without doubt. 

Look at the fighters that seriously didn't want to know during fights due to the damage they've sustained. Kell Brook, Daniel Dubios as examples. They'll turn away, drop to the knee or go on the run to avoid damage because they know the damage is serious or they've had enough. They're are clear warning signs when a fighter doesn't want to know. I don't remember seeing any things of these happening during the Joyce fight. 

Didn’t think it would happen until it happened ( even when it was signed ) but fight day for Garcia - Tank. I’ve said from the outset i think Tank wins. He’s one of very few active fighters ( Crawford, Spence, Usyk to name a few ) who has the ability and ring IQ to problem solve for himself in the ring. He’ll probably know what Ryan is about after 2-3 rounds. Garcia is too rigid. From his toes to his head, there is little movement. His left hand is explosive i will say that but because his movement is so poor he leaves himself in punching range too much ( evidenced by the Campbell knock down ) He’s not fluid, he doesn’t move in and out of range quickly. Tank Davis by TKO in the 8th or 9th round. 

• Like 1

AJ apparently wants Wilder next, an they are looking to get it done for December. I think AJ could really get hurt by this guy, if he lands a few, AJ won't get to round 5. Not he best fighter but absolutely ferocious puncher, nearly finished Fury.

5 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm not sure about that Sheepy. The idea that Joyce has never been hurt before during his amateur days or in the pro ranks with his defence is hard to believe. For a start he never stop coming forward during the fight which maybe the adrenaline but I also think that he was fully aware of the damage to the eye. I've been in a similar situation albeit in the amateurs and had my eye balloon up during a fight through a clash of heads, only once and as uncomfortable as it was the main concern is being stopped by the ref, which I was more or less immediately after. It was a golf ball size lump over my eye, but given the choice I'd have carried on without doubt. 

Look at the fighters that seriously didn't want to know during fights due to the damage they've sustained. Kell Brook, Daniel Dubios as examples. They'll turn away, drop to the knee or go on the run to avoid damage because they know the damage is serious or they've had enough. They're are clear warning signs when a fighter doesn't want to know. I don't remember seeing any things of these happening during the Joyce fight. 

Well he wasn't saying to the referee, "I'm okay, I can see". He may well have been hurt before, but not on the scale of that fight. He was in unfamiliar territory and maybe he didn't like it. Just putting it out there. 

46 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Well he wasn't saying to the referee, "I'm okay, I can see". He may well have been hurt before, but not on the scale of that fight. He was in unfamiliar territory and maybe he didn't like it. Just putting it out there. 

He obviously couldn't see out the right eye though so why lie about it?! He was definitely concerned during the fight because he was tentative and uncomfortable as the damage got worse but being tentative when injured isn't wanting out. 

I'm just questioning the idea he wanted to quit, not trying to claim it as facts because nobody knows what he was thinking at the end. He may well have been relieved when the ref stopped the fight though. I just didn't see him wanting out personally and tried to give examples of why, and the main reason is I have yet to see a fighter who wanted to quit continually come forward. At least off memory. 

Edited by avfc1982am
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

AJ apparently wants Wilder next, an they are looking to get it done for December. I think AJ could really get hurt by this guy, if he lands a few, AJ won't get to round 5. Not he best fighter but absolutely ferocious puncher, nearly finished Fury.

Wilder beats him easy

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wilder beats him easy

He could well beat him, but easy, I think not. Fury beat Wilder twice by being offensive and not once did Wilder ever look like he was going to win either fight. When as Joshua ever been knocked out, granted he hasn't fought a fighter who punches as hard as Wilder, but Wilder has very little else in his locker other than than power. The moment Wilder fought an opponent who was just as good on paper, he came unstuck. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Joshua beat him.

• Like 1

Can't wait for tonight's fight, if the weigh - in is anything to go by, we could be in for a tasty affair. I know Tank is the favourite, but I just have a sneaky feeling for Garcia. Then again, I've got it wrong many a time in predicting the outcome of a boxing match. 

Â