ACADEMY : 09/10 stats/results thread (AVFC 2-1 Portsmouth)

AndyClarke

i think it was more down this season's u16s not being good enough to be kept on but the u15s are a talented bunch, what do you make of jordan graham, the little black right winger?

good to hear about barrett, i can't understand why he wasn't offered a scholarship back in november!

interesting to hear your thoughts on the 2nd years, you don't think they'll keep grocott? every time i've seen him, he's looked a good footballer who seems to have done decent job out of position at right back, i also think that poyser has potential. i think flanagan will be retained also i've always liked him plus he's been out injured a long time.

that delfouneso, bannan group was once in a generation and i'm proud to say i witnessed it, we should've won the youth cup in 2008!

I'll dig my teamsheet out of the car in the morning...I know Charlie Ward was one of the unused subs. Nelson-Addy has played in the centre of midfield every time Ive seen him come on. Not sure on the under16s scorer - it was a free kick from the edge of the box. I have a feeling it was the little left winger who came on for the second half, looked about 13 years old and quite a tidy player.

The Halfhuid point is a strange one. He's scored goals on a regular basis this season but for me has consistently looked our poorest player and the one with least natural talent. It sounds awful to knock a player who scored a hat trick in the last round of the Youth Cup and Im slightly mystified how he kept scoring. But to me he looks so heavy legged and mentally doesnt read a game at all, and thats both up front and at the back. Cant imagine hes one that will progress much further with us.

On the flip side of that Ryan Simmonds continues to impress me more and more. Physically he must be about 9 stone but he is so quick and reads the game fantastically well.

I fully disagree regarding Halfhuid. If he ain't any good, why he played (and scored) on a regular basis???? Time will tell!!!!

From the little I've seen of Halfhuid I'm with IMWT on his impressions of the player.

I see very little of this younger group so it's great to read this stuff, I'd agree with SGC that we've had a golden generation come through; I think we'll see a lot of them playing league football over the next few years and I think we'll see a good number of success stories.

Interested to read that Flanagan has been out injured for a long time, I saw him play for the reserves on one occasion (his only appearance?) and thought he looked very good. I wondered where he'd got to, is the injury something he's expected to fully recover from or something that might have a lasting effect?

I think I probably overlooked Grocott...he has a chance and wont have done himself a disservice playing a season out of position.

I guess Handsome thats the whole joy of watching the Academy games in the hope that you might just get to watch the next big thing come through and you watch these players grow and develop. As for Poyser SGC I just dont see him progressing a great deal. I think he drives the coaching staff to despair with his lack of a grasp of the basics and his general work rate.

Anyways roll on Tuesday...anyone else making the trip down to Fulham?

• 2 weeks later...
16s won 3-0 today away at cardiff, umit eminoglu scored 2 and darious darkin got the other 1

don't know about 18s

Great names.

Goes to my school that Umit fella! Haven't seen him play in a couple years mind.

Charlie Ward aswell, goes to the school 2 minutes away from us, I've had some good battles against him in the past. He's apparently doing really well. Always bring a smile when you see people you know doing well!!

The dates have been confirmed for Villa's FA Youth Cup semi-final games against Newcastle United.

Tony McAndrew's team will be back at Villa Park for the first leg on Thursday April 8 (ko 7pm).

The second leg takes place on Friday April 16 at St James' Park (ko 7pm).

Villa booked their place in the semi-finals with a dramatic penalty shootout victory at Fulham in the previous round.

The Young Lions have also seen off Rochdale, West Bromwich Albion and Millwall along the way.

Newcastle's run to the semis has seen them conquer Doncaster Rovers, Reading, West Ham United and Crystal Palace.

Link