ACADEMY : 09/10 stats/results thread (AVFC 2-1 Portsmouth)

AndyClarke

That must be one of the quickest reports on an Academy game! Thanks Martin :) Usually have to wait a couple of days to get any details. We should surely of won at home against Bristol - looks like we're gonna miss Gary Gardner :cry:

I was quite impressed with Nelson-Addy looks like he has a bit about himself. A decent build, very athletic, and can play a bit. Will be interesting to follow him over the next couple of years. At least in the absence of Gardner it will give chances to players like this and Carruthers to show what they can do in their preferred position.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3-0 win for the Under 18s this morning against Watford. The under 16s drew 1-1 with their Watford counterparts, conceding a very late penalty.

Academy line up was Barrett, Grocott, Deeney, Devine, Williams, Carruthers, Blythe, Lampkin, Roberts, Simmonds and Poyser Subs used Berry, Halfhuid and Nelson-Addy.

Decent warm up for Tuesday night with goals from Lampkin, Simmonds and Blythe. Thought the lads showed real signs of maturing and played a bit more football than they have done throughout the season. A comfortable win all round and should give them plenty of confidence for midweek. I thought Richard Blythe had a fantastic game capped off with his goal, lad ran himself into the ground.

cheers for that, any idea how long siegrist is out for? or who scored for u16s? i thought we would've gone weaker considering the fulham game's so close. feel sorry for halfhuid! where does nelson addy actually play? and who were the unused subs?

I'll dig my teamsheet out of the car in the morning...I know Charlie Ward was one of the unused subs. Nelson-Addy has played in the centre of midfield every time Ive seen him come on. Not sure on the under16s scorer - it was a free kick from the edge of the box. I have a feeling it was the little left winger who came on for the second half, looked about 13 years old and quite a tidy player.

The Halfhuid point is a strange one. He's scored goals on a regular basis this season but for me has consistently looked our poorest player and the one with least natural talent. It sounds awful to knock a player who scored a hat trick in the last round of the Youth Cup and Im slightly mystified how he kept scoring. But to me he looks so heavy legged and mentally doesnt read a game at all, and thats both up front and at the back. Cant imagine hes one that will progress much further with us.

On the flip side of that Ryan Simmonds continues to impress me more and more. Physically he must be about 9 stone but he is so quick and reads the game fantastically well.

oh don't get me wrong, i don't think halfhuid's got a cat in hell's chance of making it with us as a striker, just disappointed for him as he has scored goats when called upon. The transition to centre forward won't be long term imo.

I assume the little left winger you referred to is jack grealish who is 14, definitely got a big future with us, just hope we can hold onto him!

i think simmonds is a good talent but not quite good enough to make it with us long term. how were barrett and carruthers? which of the current 2nd years do you think will be released in the summer?

The little bits Ive seen of the under 16s they look a really talented young bunch and I think its admirable that the club decided to chop pretty much all the under16s they started the season with to give this lot a chance.

Barrett impressed again and looked solid. Carruthers for me looks a really good player, especially playing in the centre of the park. He looks like Harry Forrester but with a willingness to work and learn. Hes got a decent touch and doesnt always look for a killer pass. I cant imagine they will retain too many of the 2nd years. I dont think the older lads really have anyone to match that Delfouneso, Bannan group of a couple of years ago. I think maybe Simmonds, Blythe will be kept on, and Ellis Deeney has got better as the seasons gone on out of the older ones.

With regard to Siegrist not sure how long hes out for. Bit unfortunate that we we've been without our best two players