ACADEMY : 09/10 stats/results thread (AVFC 2-1 Portsmouth)

AndyClarke

no , i know one of the boys , he said they were great in the first half , but bristol were alot better in the second . The youth cup will be great he is looking forward to his first run out on villa park . I hope we get a big crowd to cheer them on

• 3 weeks later...
Just a reminder that Villa's Reserve League South clash against Chelsea has been put back due to the club's involvement in the FA Youth Cup fourth round.

The game was originally scheduled for tonight (Monday), but will now take place at Villa Park on Monday February 1 (ko - 7.05pm).

The FA Youth Cup clash against West Bromwich Albion takes place at the Hawthorns on Thursday January 14.

Link

Great win against the Baggies in the Cup, with keeper Ben Siegrist apparently the hero :) Gary Gardner (again!) and Arsenio Halfhuid with two cracking goals. There's a report in the Express & Star here

Great 5-0 win for the under 18s over Small Heath this morning. Hatrick for Simmonds, one for Gary Gardner and Will Grocott. The under 16s won 1-0 as well. Will post a little more after my second helping of Villa for the day. Brings joy beating that lot at any level

Great 5-0 win for the under 18s over Small Heath this morning. Hatrick for Simmonds, one for Gary Gardner and Will Grocott. The under 16s won 1-0 as well. Will post a little more after my second helping of Villa for the day. Brings joy beating that lot at any level

Terrific stuff. You've seen more of him than I have, is Simmonds the real deal?

Woohoo!! Great win :) I take it you were at the game InMartinWeTrust? How about a short report? Please;) It doesn't seem to have been reported anywhere else yet - not even on the Barclays Premier League website which is usually first with Academy scores.

Simmonds 2x, one for Gardner, Grocott and Halfhuid.

The final goal looked like a stopping header by Simmonds to me but may have been wrong.

Was going to right a little more but just had a flying visit home before heading off to Villa Park.

Team yesterday was Barrett, Grocott, Deeney, Devine, Williams, Gardner, Lampkin, Carruthers, Blythe, Halfuid, Simmonds Subs Roberts for Gardner and ?? for Carruthers (cant recall who)

Decent performance by the lads and never looked in any real danger, as routine a victory as you will get. Considering that the academy lads lost to Small Heath a couple of months ago I thought they would have given us more of a game but was mightily unimpressed by them.

All the goals were fairly routine, probably the pick of them Will Grocott's after a cracking through ball from Samir Carruthers. Gary Gardner went off after half an hour with a knock on his knee but didnt look anything too serious and should be fine for Friday I would imagine. Thought Jason Lampkin was impressive, Dan Devine looks another good centre half and Simmonds looked quick and nippy and seems to get better and more confident every time Ive seen him. His quite slight but seems to have a decent brain and good movement. Arsenio Halfhuid was playing up front with him as a target man, not his natural position. I cant see that being a successful conversion, he looked slow and lumbering. Very satisfying all round.