ACADEMY : 09/10 stats/results thread (AVFC 2-1 Portsmouth)

AndyClarke

In relation to the question about Callum Barrett I was really impressed. Not a big lad but commanded his box really well and punched very well.

Just a side note from Saturday I see that Emmitt Delfouneso (Nathans younger brother) has been released and has been taken on by Small Heath. He appeared on the team sheet as a sub but was playing in the under 16s game.

I was interested to learn that we had pretty much released all our under 16s as it was felt with the exception of around four of them that they werent going to make the grade and Sid Cowans has decided to go with the under 15s who on the evidence of the bits Ive seen look a pretty talented bunch. A real soft spot for that ginger haired left back who looks like Ziggy Stardust, bless him he couldnt resist kissing his Villa badge and shoving it in his opposite numbers face on the final whistle>

cheers for that he's a really decent keeper i'm surprised we haven't taken him on for next season yet- he finds out at the end of the week if we have.

i'm pretty sure delfouneso's only there on trial at the minute.

the current u15s are a good group i think the left back you're referring to is oli stevenson although i'm not 100%

jordan graham scored our goal, he's a good right winger

umit eminoglu, a striker, is another 1 to look out as is centre midfielder charlie ward.

the pick of the bunch though is jack grealish an u14 winger who's a regular in the u16s, he's brilliant for his age!

• Like 1

Terrible news about Gary - he's been having such a great season too. The Under 18s were supposed to be playing away to Spurs on 30 Jan - a rescheduled game. Any news? Was the game played?

Andy can speak for himself, but I suspect the info may have come from the Barclays Premier League website. That always seems to be the first website with Academy results, but I've noticed they have a nasty tendency to post 0-0 when they don't know the result! I've been caught out before on this. For yesterday's Academy results, they are currently showing SEVEN 0-0 results out of 12 games. Fishy, or what? lol

A 1-1 draw for the Under 18s this morning against Bristol City at Bodymoor Heath. Apparently the under16s lost 5-0 although they did have a team containing a number of under 14s playing.

The under 18s team was Barrett, Grocott, Deeney, Devine, Williams, Carruthers, Lampkin, Blythe, Roberts, Halfhuid and Simmonds. Subs used were Poyser, Berry and Ebby Newton-Addy.

The game started with a cynical foul from Bristol's left back 20 seconds into the game on Ryan Simmonds and carried on pretty much the same vain for the next 90 mins. Was a surprise that both teams finished the match with a full compliment. City took the lead midway through the first half but Villa pulled back right on the stroke of half time through Carruthers. He found himself played through on the left hand side of the box and despite a poor first touch managed to chip the oncoming keeper as he stretched for the ball. The second half was a bit of a non event and the closest Villa came was when a Carruthers cross shot hit the bar.

Decent performances by the two Villa centre halfs Williams and Devine. Ellis Deeney looked decent, Simmonds ran himself into the ground and Carruthers looked a decent player in his preferred central role with two decent feet. Unfortunately there was no quality ball into the box and it ended frustratingly.