ACADEMY : 09/10 stats/results thread (AVFC 2-1 Portsmouth)

AndyClarke

IMWT, I've always been of the opinion that the group that have just passed through were a little bit special and I've been unconvinced of the current youth crop. However, this season they seem to be getting more and more impressive and I'd now not be too surprised to see them reach the youth cup final,I've not seen anything like as much of them as you have and I'm now not sure whether I've misjudged them, how do you see them?

Exactly that Scott. This group looked really average at the start of the season but the loss at Blues onwards they have just got better and better. I think it may well turn out a little like our 2002 FA Youth Cup winning team that it rather than just one or two stand out players there is a team there. They are also playing some really good football as well, which they weren't at the start of the season. They look full of confidence and a really close knit bunch of lads.

Considering the players that were left out today it bodes well with some of the lads that came through. Danny Johnson looked useful out of the younger lads and Carruthers for me has been a revelation since his played more central in his preferred role. Its a shame that we haven't had the chance to see him and Gary Gardner play in the middle together. Carruthers looks a much better player when he's been involved in the middle than shoved out on the wing. No reason at all why we shouldn't be beating Newcastle and hope the lads get some support on Thursday. I know a few of the parents were concerned that with the club charging and selling tickets in advance they were worried that the lads wouldnt get the support that they have done in previous years.

I'll be doing my best to bang the drum for Thursday night.

I've seen Carruthers three times I think and the first time I saw him he looked a little lightweight but a box of tricks, the second time I saw him he was playing centrally and he looked a completely different player, he looks strong and mature in the middle.

Thanks for the report on todays first half, I'm looking forward to Thursday.

it finiished 10 nil ,poor charlie ward looks like he has a bad knee injury , cruciate ligament was going around .lost count of goal scorers but jason roberts hit 1 in the second half from about 35 out that went like a bullet . deeney at centre back cameron left back but went to right mid second half when flanagan came on .all the regular starters were watching on the side line , dont know why .

Thanks ever so much for that update. Berry looked okay but it wasn't much of a test to be fair but positionally he looked fairly sound and the couple of times he was run at, he looked as though he had the pace to get himself into decent positions.

Dan mentioned during the Arsenal reserve game that the academy won 10-0 at the weekend? And that Lampkin scored four?? What was that all about ?

Indeed finished 10-0 although MK Dons weren't any great shakes. Four for Lampkin, two for Roberts, and one apiece for Blythe from the spot, Berry, Conor Taylor, and Danny Johnson. To be the fair the opposition were pretty poor and had a centre half sent off after 15 mins for a handball off the line but the Villa lads display was totally ruthless (certainly the first half that I saw). Cant wait for tomorrow, and just hope the lads get a decent turnout to cheer them on, they really deserve it.