General Chat

Stevo985

I must say, it IS a very good likeness of our Baselayers.

Surprised you noticed Mike , thought you would be too busy pointing out that the DVD series behind isn't in chronological order :winkold:

Oh, I've given up on The Youth of Today. No standards. :lol:

I gotta go the doctors later and get the results from my MRI scan today

quite looking forward to it to be honest, my hip/groin has been giving me pretty much constant grief for about 2 years, they recon that its either the onset of arthritus or because of my manky joints due to my hypermobility I could have torn a muscle or something like that

hopefully I should find out once and for all whats actually up with it

I gotta go the doctors later and get the results from my MRI scan today

good luck

my doc gave me the DVD of mine , I viewed it at home on the PC alongside Wikipedia to see if there was anything I though the doctor had missed :-)

Militant secularisation threat to religion, says Warsi

Britain is under threat from a rising tide of "militant secularisation", a cabinet minister has warned.

Religion is being "sidelined, marginalised and downgraded in the public sphere", Conservative co-chairwoman Baroness Warsi wrote in an article for the Daily Telegraph.

The Muslim peer said Europe needed to become "more confident and more comfortable in its Christianity".

She will also highlight the issue in a speech at the Vatican on Wednesday.

"I will be arguing that to create a more just society, people need to feel stronger in their religious identities and more confident in their creeds," she wrote in the Telegraph.

"In practice this means individuals not diluting their faiths and nations not denying their religious heritages."

Baroness Warsi, who is Britain's first female Muslim cabinet minister, went on to write: "You cannot and should not extract these Christian foundations from the evolution of our nations any more than you can or should erase the spires from our landscapes."

She wrote that examples of a "militant secularisation" taking hold of society could be seen in a number of things - "when signs of religion cannot be displayed or worn in government buildings; when states won't fund faith schools; and where religion is sidelined, marginalised and downgraded in the public sphere".

She also compared the intolerance of religion with totalitarian regimes, which she said were "denying people the right to a religious identity because they were frightened of the concept of multiple identities".

Her comments come days after the High Court ruled that a Devon town council had acted unlawfully by allowing prayers to be said at meetings.

And, as BBC religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott reports, the Church of England could soon lose its traditional role as the provider of the chief chaplain to the Prison Service.

The Ministry of Justice has confirmed it is "considering arrangements" for appointing a new Chaplain-General - but the job might not go to an Anglican.

Our correspondent says the move may be seen by some Anglicans as the latest sign of the reduced influence of the "established" Church of England in public affairs.

On Baroness Warsi's article and speech, BBC political correspondent Louise Stewart said it was not the first time a senior Conservative had called for a revival of traditional Christian values.

"Last December, Prime Minister David Cameron said the UK was a Christian country and 'should not be afraid to say so'," she said.

The British Humanist Association (BHA) described Baroness Warsi's comments as "outdated, unwarranted and divisive".

"In an increasingly non-religious and, at the same time, diverse society, we need policies that will emphasise what we have in common as citizens rather than what divides us," said BHA chief executive Andrew Copson.

Baroness Warsi's two-day delegation of seven British ministers to the Holy See will include an audience with Pope Benedict XVI, who visited the UK in 2010.

This visit marks the 30th anniversary of the re-establishment of full diplomatic ties between Britain and the Vatican.

Meanwhile, new research suggests Britons who declare themselves Christian display low levels of belief and practice.

Almost three quarters of the 1,136 people polled by Ipsos Mori agreed that religion should not influence public policy, and 92% agreed the law should apply to everyone equally, regardless of their personal beliefs.

It also found that 61% of Christians agreed homosexuals should have the same legal rights in all aspects of their lives as heterosexuals.

And a further 62% were in favour of a woman's right to have an abortion within the legal time limit.

The survey was conducted for the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (UK), which describes itself as promoting "scientific education, rationalism and humanism".

BBC

If only.

Mind you, Dawkins shot himself in the foot again this morning in a R4 debate with some godbotherer.

Dawkins: "Most so-called Christians probably don't even know what the first book of the New Testament is"

Godbotherer: "So what? Do you know the title of the first chapter of 'The Origin of Species'?"

Dawkins: "Yes, I most certainly do"

Godbotherer: "What is it, then?"

Dawkins: "Er... er... 'The natural...' no, hang on, 'On the origin of the...", no, it's er... something to do with species and er... well, it doesn't matter, anyway".

:lol: He does himself no favours at times.

Funny you can laugh at that, the fundamentalist community are going to have a field day :(

yeah can I do that?

I want a copy of mine

thing is though the person I am seeing is a complete cockend who can barely speak english and doesnt really like me very much

mine was with Bupa so don't know if it's common practise or not

he even gave me a video of the actual knee op .. can see him shaving away the flappy bits inside the knee cap and blood spurting about the place ..I found it fascinating , my brother looked like he was gonna be sick when I showed him :-)

Mind you, Dawkins shot himself in the foot again this morning in a R4 debate with some godbotherer.

Dawkins: "Most so-called Christians probably don't even know what the first book of the New Testament is"

Godbotherer: "So what? Do you know the title of the first chapter of 'The Origin of Species'?"

Dawkins: "Yes, I most certainly do"

Godbotherer: "What is it, then?"

Dawkins: "Er... er... 'The natural...' no, hang on, 'On the origin of the...", no, it's er... something to do with species and er... well, it doesn't matter, anyway".

:lol: He does himself no favours at times.

Funny you can laugh at that, the fundamentalist community are going to have a field day :(

I expect they will, yes. **** 'em. smiley-finger005.gif

So that argument boils down to one person not knowing the first chapter of a work of fiction and another person not knowing the first chapter of a work of fact. If that's what the godbotherer considers a victory then I'm OK with that. As long as they're not forcing their beliefs on me I'm fine. Trouble is the more persistent botherers don't 'live and let live', they pester.

I was under the impression when the Bible was originally written, it didn't contain chapters ( or verses) for that matter

they were introduced at some point hundreds of years later , accompanied no doubt by leader piece in Ye Daily Mail complaining about the dumbing down of Albion

Indeed.

For at least a thousand years the Tanakh has contained an extensive system of multiple levels of section, paragraph, and phrasal divisions that were indicated in Masoretic vocalization and cantillation markings.[citation needed] One of the most frequent of these was a special type of punctuation, the sof passuq, symbol for a full stop or sentence break, resembling the colon (:) of English and Latin orthography. With the advent of the printing press and the translation of the Bible into English, Old Testament versifications were made that correspond predominantly with the existing Hebrew full stops, with a few isolated exceptions. A product of meticulous labour and unwearying attention, the Old Testament verse divisions stand today in essentially the same places as they have been passed down since antiquity. Most attribute these to Rabbi Isaac Nathan ben Kalonymus's work for the first Hebrew Bible concordance around 1440.[2]

The first person to divide New Testament chapters into verses was Italian Dominican biblical scholar Santi Pagnini (1470–1541), but his system was never widely adopted.[3] Robert Estienne created an alternate numbering in his 1551 edition of the Greek New Testament [4] which was also used in his 1553 publication of the Bible in French. Estienne's system of division was widely adopted, and it is this system which is found in almost all modern bibles.

The first English New Testament to use the verse divisions was a 1557 translation by William Whittingham (c. 1524-1579). The first Bible in English to use both chapters and verses was the Geneva Bible published shortly afterwards in 1560. These verse divisions soon gained acceptance as a standard way to notate verses, and have since been used in nearly all English Bibles and the vast majority of those in other languages.

Has anyone ever seen two cats shagging????

Do they do it like dogs????

I can only imagine that they do.

Does this mean that cats shag doggystyle????

I just drew a picture of two dogs having it off with each other and the thought crossed my mind

Another plus point for cats over dogs - they do their shagging in private.

They also go in for gang bangs. And yes, they do it "doggy style". Pretty much obligatory for quadrupeds.

Â