General Chat

Stevo985

Never thought about green tea either, how does it help? I know its an anti oxidant.
Antioxidants don't work

Reading through that makes that article sounds more like a journo's opinion rather than anything useful, im not saying anti-oxidants do or dont work just that the author of that particular article sounded a bit biased from the off.

Just drink green tea and drop the
a few times a week, that'll soon rid you of your pot belly.

Before I clicked the link I thought you meant to have a shit :P

That plank looks like a killer even though you only do it for a few minutes, how many times a day should you do this?

Never thought about green tea either, how does it help? I know its an anti oxidant.

Personally, I dont need to lose weight, and I do the plank for about 90 seconds 4 times a week. It just helps to firm up your stomach muscles, which can help just as much as losing weight. Just make sure you firmly such in whilst doing it.

Green tea has something in it that helps the fat burning process. I drink it whenever I'm feeling a little rotund, which isnt very often, but in conjunction with a bit of exercise, it 'appears' to make a big difference.

So how would one actually shift a little bit of belly weight rather than just tone up the muscles underneath?

First of all, the plank, or any ab exercise for that matter, are NOT going to shift any fat. Or a very very minimal amount.

And neither will drinking green tea.

If you want to lose your fat, then hit the cardio hard, and often.

BOF is right, 10 minutes on the rower won't cut it. You either need to do long periods of relatively low intensity (45 minutes for example). by low intensity I mean low enough so you can last 45 minutes. But you should still be knackered by the end.

Or, preferably, try High Intensity Interval Training (google it). less time spent but much higher intensity for periods. if you're doing 30 second intervals then 10 minutes on the rower will actually be ok.

Ideally, do a combination of both!

Maybe most importantly, sort your diet out. You can do all the exercise in the world, but if you eat like shit, the wieght won't go. Get online, use the muscle and fitness (or similar) boards and articles and make yourself a decent diet.

Just drink green tea and drop the
a few times a week, that'll soon rid you of your pot belly.

Before I clicked the link I thought you meant to have a shit :P

That plank looks like a killer even though you only do it for a few minutes, how many times a day should you do this?

Personally, I dont need to lose weight, and I do the plank for about 90 seconds 4 times a week. It just helps to firm up your stomach muscles, which can help just as much as losing weight. Just make sure you firmly such in whilst doing it.

Green tea has something in it that helps the fat burning process. I drink it whenever I'm feeling a little rotund, which isnt very often, but in conjunction with a bit of exercise, it 'appears' to make a big difference.

So how would one actually shift a little bit of belly weight rather than just tone up the muscles underneath?

Sorry buddy, I don't really know, i'm no expert.

However, some things to consider:

1. You can't spot reduce fat, i.e. you can't simply get the fat from your belly.

2. The more muscles you use, typically, the more fat you're burning.

3. Doing weights can often burn (significantly) more fat than traditional aerobic exercises.

4. Get yourself on myprotein.co.uk and find yourself some supplements, Slim fast is very similar to protein shake.

Antioxidants don't work

Reading through that makes that article sounds more like a journo's opinion rather than anything useful, im not saying anti-oxidants do or dont work just that the author of that particular article sounded a bit biased from the off.

It's a terribly written smartarsey article. And that's ignoring the actual content of it, which is also more than a bit questionable. The notion that something is toxic if it is a preservative. Salt? Vinegar? Anyway. Yeah, not an article I'd particularly be swayed by in either direction.

Bought a rowing machine last week and just had a blast on it, 10 minutes on tension setting number 5 (goes from 1-8 ), balls out, full on effort, montage stuff.

It has nearly killed me. Everywhere hurts. There are pains in places I didnt even know I had places.

Don't put the resistance too high as it will affect your form. I see people in the gym with it on maximum resistance and they're all over the place. Do fast/slow intervals instead of 10mins at a constant speed.

I should say I'm no expert so my advice could be all wrong :)

How to lose the gut? Cut down your calorie intake, and eat healthier food. Simple.

Would that not just stop me from adding onto my already existing gut rather than getting rid of it though?

Also, id like to point out that my 'gut' is not like some redneck beer belly or anything, its just a slight bit of podge that I seemed to gain around christmas time and havent been able to shift.

*Im not a fatty, please believe me*

Would that not just stop me from adding onto my already existing gut rather than getting rid of it though?

No. If you're taking in less than your body needs, then your body will start to use it's reserves i.e. your belly. And it doesn't need to be a redneck's beer belly. That just means you'll be sorted in no time. You need to do lots of low intensity exercise instead of small amounts of high intensity exercise.

How to lose the gut? Cut down your calorie intake, and eat healthier food. Simple.

Also, id like to point out that my 'gut' is not like some redneck beer belly or anything, its just a slight bit of podge that I seemed to gain around christmas time and havent been able to shift.

No in time it will be smaller. I am talking from personal experience. I am no expert on health fitness, and all that, but I first lost the gut, and then did the weight training afterwards. Worked for me.

Lifting weights will help to ensure the weight you lose is fat and not muscle.

But it's quite difficult to burn fat by lifting weights. You have to make them pretty intense sessions to do that (but it's perfectly possible)

It's also very difficult to build muscle while losing fat. Again you'd need very intense sessions.

For Ingram, stick to the cardio. Try intervals, especially if you like the rower (as long periods on the rower is tough, imo).

Seriously, most important thing is sort your diet out. Work out your maintenance calorie intake (there are calculators online), subtract 500 from that and stick to it, and do your cardio 3 or 4 times a week. You can easily lose 2-3 pounds a week doing that.

No in time it will be smaller. I am talking from personal experience. I am no expert on health fitness, and all that, but I first lost the gut, and then did the weight training afterwards. Worked for me.

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated :thumb:

So if I eat less snacks/watch diet, plank a few times a day ( sounds perverse :P ), drink green tea and continue with the rowing, over a bit of time I should see as well as feel some difference right?

I thought i would join is as i have finished a diet today. for the last 3 months i have been on a low carb diet and have lost 35lbs, i did a lot of exercise as well but it must be the easiest way to lose weight.

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated :thumb:

So if I eat less snacks/watch diet, plank a few times a day ( sounds perverse :P ), drink green tea and continue with the rowing, over a bit of time I should see as well as feel some difference right?

You will see differences but be patient, it may take longer then you want. Stick at it.

I thought i would join is as i have finished a diet today. for the last 3 months i have been on a low carb diet and have lost 35lbs, i did a lot of exercise as well but it must be the easiest way to lose weight.

The two problems with this is a low carb diet will mean you lose muscle as well as fat. That might not matter for some people, it might for others.

Also, a general rule is the quicker you lose the weight, the easier it is to put back on.

That doesn't mean you WILL put it back on, but you have to be careful. If you lose 30 lbs through a low carb diet and then just go back to how you used to eat, you'll quickly start piling it back on.

My advice for low carbs would be go on a "normal" diet (as in fairly low calorie and healthy foods) immediately afterwards to ease yourself back in.

I have never had any excess weight in my stomach area but I used to box for about 6 years and this is the exercise we did in the jym to improve the stomach muscles.

Get an ordinary plank of wood and your belt from your jeans.

Position the plank so that it is on an angle ( the steeper the angel the harder this exercise is )

Lie down on the plank and slip your feet through the belt ( your feet should be higher than your head )

Now just do sitUps with your hands behind your head.Simple.

You can vary this by sitting up and touching your toes or have a weight in each hand etc etc.

Hope this helps :)

Â