General Chat

Stevo985

I have replaced a photo of my work colleague's somewhat rotund missus on his desk with one of Jabba the Hutt. This is in retaliation for him throwing a ball into my eye yesterday with some force. I warned him he'd opened Pandora's Box.

Where do you work???!!! Pleasure Island?

Hey, if people dish it out, they have to take it too.

Ah well, I'm sure he'll get over it by going on their sail barge over the weekend. I hear the Great Pit of Carkoon is just beautiful this time of year.

Where do you work???!!! Pleasure Island?

It's a small team, and we're all mates so it'll be fine. We are an HR nightmare waiting to happen though.

I am the same here. There are 8 of us, all blokes. I come on VT for grown up debate comared to this office!

Right people what do you think, can I get anywhere in sports writing without a degree? Finished college in 2010 and have been working since and the thought of going to uni does not exicte me.

You could do blogging or something, but you wont get paid for it.

Large parts of the media rely on the fact that so many people want to write (because you know, it is fun to get paid to talk about football/music/movies isnt it?) so they exploit it. I'm guessing if you want earn a living from it you will need a degree, a portfolio and some decent contacts.

It's a small team, and we're all mates so it'll be fine. We are an HR nightmare waiting to happen though.

Sounds like us :) 'Old school' is a fair description. Where there's still no such thing as inappropriate farts or language :thumb:

Oh yes. We started a C-word quota last week, though our director's visiting on Monday so the makeshift basketball hoop we constructed out of a plastic CD spindle case with the bottom cut out gaffa-tapped to the back of a cardboard archive box cover and subsequently attached to the wall will have to be temporarily dismantled.

Sounds like us :) 'Old school' is a fair description. Where there's still no such thing as inappropriate farts or language :thumb:

+, as they say, 1.

This is a bit of an issue here. Our team (five blokes, one woman) is incredibly politically incorrect. Nothing is sacrosanct.

We are soon to be moved from our fortress of solitude into an open plan office with a bunch of (mainly) women - including their/our boss - who are notoriously straight laced, sensitive and intolerant of the slightest transgression.

We have been read the riot act in the form of the official "dignity and respect" policy, and told in no uncertain fashion that we will have to curb our language, raucousness, lax timekeeping, and generally bad-assery.

I see trouble up ahead. :(

Right people what do you think, can I get anywhere in sports writing without a degree? Finished college in 2010 and have been working since and the thought of going to uni does not exicte me.

Have a look here: http://www.nctj.com/

Many publications in the UK prefer an NCTJ qualification. Often university courses are accredited by the NCTJ but you can do a distance learning starter course for a lot cheaper. Have a look on the website and see what you think. I was thinking of doing something similar myself.

Also, there's plenty of books on Journalism about so maybe think of looking around for one of them. A lot of it seems to be based on law but it's quite interesting. Either way, buying a book to see whether or not it's the sort of thing you definitely want to do is a lot cheaper than enrolling on a course only to find it wasn't what you expected.

+, as they say, 1.

This is a bit of an issue here. Our team (five blokes, one woman) is incredibly politically incorrect. Nothing is sacrosanct.

We are soon to be moved from our fortress of solitude into an open plan office with a bunch of (mainly) women - including their/our boss - who are notoriously straight laced, sensitive and intolerant of the slightest transgression.

We have been read the riot act in the form of the official "dignity and respect" policy, and told in no uncertain fashion that we will have to curb our language, raucousness, lax timekeeping, and generally bad-assery.

I see trouble up ahead. :(

Quiet protest. Tone down language/volume. Tone up silent rotten farts.

I have never known the words to The Immigrant Song.

Best I can do is something like: 'Ai-eeeee-aaaaa-ah, ai-eeeee-aaaaa-ah, [something something] ice and snow, [something something something] won't go... ai-eeeee-aaaaa-ah.. etc.'

:oops:

I'm jealous.

My office is so **** boring.

I feel like starting a fire sometimes just because it might generate some conversation.

This.

Arrrrgh. The Client I was meeting at 3pm is running late. He is now due at 5:30pm! I know this meeting will last 2 hours. FFS!!!

I will crack a cold tinny just for you when i get home!

You bastard!

He is matey too and after the meeting wants to go for a beer. No effin chance!!

Arrrrgh. The Client I was meeting at 3pm is running late. He is now due at 5:30pm! I know this meeting will last 2 hours. FFS!!!

You bastard!

Tough one...keeping the client happy = return business

You bastard!

Tough one...keeping the client happy = return business

Yup he contributed 20% of our Turnover in a one off transaction. So too important to **** him off. No chance of repeat business as people only tend to sell their businesses once.

Â