General Chat

Stevo985

Was just having a debate with someone about whether someone is born with ability or it's made through practice and other factors, such as exposure. Someone was saying that there is no such as natural ability, no children has a special talent. It's simply through being exposed to football from an early age and plenty practice that's the difference between young kids when determining footballing ability.

I felt this was well very, very wrong.

What's your thoughts? I didn't want to start a new thread because not sure it's worth it but would be interested to hear thoughts and maybe even evidence to back up a claim, not that it will change my mind but you know ...

Practice will only get you so far, some people are born with a natural aptitude for certain things. For example, your oral proficiency with a phallus is not a learned skill, despite the hours of practice you've put in.

Of course you're born with natural ability. Which then needs to be nurtured. Take the ability to play a musical instrument. You can teach someone with no ability to get to a certain level (or maybe not, if they're totally useless) but some can pick it up and play straight away by ear with no sheet music required. It's the same with everything whether it be football, car racing. The notion that anyone with the right coaching could be as good as Lionel Messi or Usain Bolt or that anyone with the right coaching could be up with Jimi Hendrix or Ayrton Senna is absolute ballsology of the highest order.

Was just having a debate with someone about whether someone is born with ability or it's made through practice and other factors, such as exposure. Someone was saying that there is no such as natural ability, no children has a special talent. It's simply through being exposed to football from an early age and plenty practice that's the difference between young kids when determining footballing ability.

I felt this was well very, very wrong.

What's your thoughts? I didn't want to start a new thread because not sure it's worth it but would be interested to hear thoughts and maybe even evidence to back up a claim, not that it will change my mind but you know ...

Ten thousand hours

Outliers: The Story of Success is a non-fiction book written by Malcolm Gladwell and published by Little, Brown and Company on November 18, 2008.

In Outliers, Gladwell examines the factors that contribute to high levels of success. To support his thesis, he examines the causes of why the majority of Canadian ice hockey players are born in the first few months of the calendar year, how Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates achieved his extreme wealth, and how two people with exceptional intelligence, Christopher Langan and J. Robert Oppenheimer, end up with such vastly different fortunes.

Throughout the publication, Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to success in any field is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing a specific task for a total of around 10,000 hours.

Went up for Unity Day (well, not Unity Day as that's just a shitty little ethnic car-boot in Hyde Park. We went up for the music tent the local band scene had organised), then on to that pub with some mates.

Yes, it is that awful. Take nostril plugs.

The best age IMO. Grab it with both hands, do everything and look back on it with a smile, cuz you'll never be 21 again.

The best age IMO. Grab it with both hands, do everything and look back on it with a smile, cuz you'll never be 21 again.

So? You'll never be 14 again either. Being 21 is overrated, at age 18 you are old enough to vote Labour, what more could you want?!

Happy Birthday packoman!!

I think 19 was my favourite age. Out every other night getting drunk, rolling into college the next day (which was a complete doss anyway), having hours free inbetween lectures just to have a laugh with college mates. 21 was when things got serious!

So? You'll never be 14 again either. Being 21 is overrated, at age 18 you are old enough to vote Labour, what more could you want?!

You did that well because I have no idea whether you are pretending to be irate or are actually being irate :)

You did that well because I have no idea whether you are pretending to be irate or are actually being irate :)

I'm not sure either... I need to rethink my life. :|

I applied for Mastermind this year. Did the audition quiz, but only made it to the "reserve" list, which meant I had to be on standby for the three days of filming, in case somebody dropped out.

It was last week. Nobody did. :(

Â