General Chat

Stevo985

Can't see the attraction of expensive watches. They don't tell the time any better than my five quid watch.

And TBH I don't think they look any better either. But then I'm not into male jewellery. Dare I say "ghey"?

Sounds like Mr. Casio is bitter :P

Can't see the attraction of expensive watches. They don't tell the time any better than my five quid watch.

And TBH I don't think they look any better either. But then I'm not into male jewellery. Dare I say "ghey"?

Bitter? ****, no. "Smug" would be nearer the mark. I'd feel sick if I'd wasted that much money on a watch.

Much the same way I feel about personalised number plates, which I think features in one of the first pages of this thread. A fool and his money are soon parted, and all that.

Oh and thank you for the three points earlier Brumerican - you were right, pray to enough Gods and one of them will give us three points! ;)

Nothing wrong with a 4-year-old learning how to swear in my book, seriously it's just words. What do you expect people (including children) to say when they're angry or frustrated, "blistering barnacles"?! :D Absolutely no need to get embarrassed when got swearing in front of children, parents and teachers often make an Everest out of a non-existent molehill when it comes to the issue of vulgarities.

Controversial. Swearing flippantly or unnecessarily in a formal setting is a massive social faux pas. It should certainly be discourage in children. A school is a formal setting which has to exist with certain boundaries to function effectively. Being able to say whatever the hell you want, is not going to sit well, it would be anarchy.

I certainly wouldn't want my children swearing at school of all **** places.

Well it really depends. I wouldn't have any qualms at all about children swearing in a relatively informal setting such as a classroom. When you're giving a presentation infront of thousands of other students - ok granted.

I can kind of see your point though, young children are perhaps too young to know when and where to utter certain things. Which is why I'm not particularly keen on encouraging swearing when it comes to toddlers. But getting embarrassed and trying to cover-up after swearing in front of kids, that's across the line for me. Not to mention a tad hypocritical.

Has anyone been watching Niall Ferguson's series on Channel 4, Civilisation: Is the West History?

It's been a fairly interesting series, sadly I dislike Ferguson and the entire thing could have been further subtitled 'A right wing retrospective on everything that made us kings of the world entirely justifiably' (to say the man is an apologist for empire and Islamophobic is an understatement for example), but when it's reined back the right wing rhetoric it's been a decent enough watch and informative. He posits that the West came to dominate the world because it had 6 'apps' that lead it power lead Western civilisation to the be the best.

Today was the last episode, I kinda half heartedly watched it as I was doing other stuff. He went nuts. It was titled Work Ethic but increasingly it became 'Protestantism'. He made a point that implied China's success is inexorably linked to China becoming increasingly Protestant. He then appeared to claim that the West becoming atheist is the bell toll for it's work ethic going down the swanny.

And then to top it off, after a series of underhanded off the cuff digs at climate change theory, he suddenly decides that it's got something in it and claims that it's all rather reminiscent of the Book of Revelations!

A really, really curious finale to a series that, if questionable, was often a least reasonable.

Has anyone been watching Niall Ferguson's series on Channel 4, Civilisation: Is the West History?

It's been a fairly interesting series, sadly I dislike Ferguson and the entire thing could have been further subtitled 'A right wing retrospective on everything that made us kings of the world entirely justifiably' (to say the man is an apologist for empire and Islamophobic is an understatement for example), but when it's reined back the right wing rhetoric it's been a decent enough watch and informative. He posits that the West came to dominate the world because it had 6 'apps' that lead it power lead Western civilisation to the be the best.

Today was the last episode, I kinda half heartedly watched it as I was doing other stuff. He went nuts. It was titled Work Ethic but increasingly it became 'Protestantism'. He made a point that implied China's success is inexorably linked to China becoming increasingly Protestant. He then appeared to claim that the West becoming atheist is the bell toll for it's work ethic going down the swanny.

And then to top it off, after a series of underhanded off the cuff digs at climate change theory, he suddenly decides that it's got something in it and claims that it's all rather reminiscent of the Book of Revelations!

A really, really curious finale to a series that, if questionable, was often a least reasonable.

Yep, China, land of the free, 10% living in absolute poverty, per capita GDP of $4000 etc etc

Also begs the question as to why other developing countries with even more widespread Christianisation are not industrialising at anywhere near Chinese pace.

It sounds like this kook you're mentioning has no evidence whatsoever to support his eccentric claims. That's my first impression anyway, from what you've mentioned.

Bitter? ****, no. "Smug" would be nearer the mark. I'd feel sick if I'd wasted that much money on a watch.

Much the same way I feel about personalised number plates, which I think features in one of the first pages of this thread. A fool and his money are soon parted, and all that.

I agree with you one hundred percent, but I'll take it further.

The odds are that at any given time you're carrying a mobile or are in a place where a clock is easily visible. Given that the timekeeping function of a watch is basically superfluous now, that leaves the jewelry function.

I think watches are a 'habit'. You're absolutely right, if you're in the car, have a phone, sat in your living room, or stood outside a supermarket there will be a clock. But you go out without your watch on, and you'll be staring at a slightly hairy but empty wrist every 10 minutes.

For me, I've got a £20 upper limit for watches. My current masterpiece was about £16 from Marks's. It looks like a watch and tells the time.

computer?

desk clock?

desk landline phone?

tv scrolling news channel?

radio 5 live time check every 3 minutes, slightly more often during drive with Peter Alan.

but you can wear a watch in the swimming pool where mobile phones often aren't so handy

He was on my FB yesterday...I think the influx of spotty yoofs has put him off VT lately

More the time required to read nearly every post on VT and its conflicts with betting and handicapping college basketball.

It was a very good month overall... 12 dimes in profit. Thank you Virginia Commonwealth... I will never speak ill of Richmond, Virginia again!

March 16

Bet VCU +4.5 and on the moneyline (3/2) => Virginia Commonwealth 59-46 Southern California

March 18

Bet VCU +5.5 and on the moneyline (2/1) => Virginia Commonwealth 74-56 Georgetown

March 20

Bet VCU +9.5 and on the moneyline (4/1) => Virginia Commonwealth 94-76 Purdue

March 25

Bet VCU +3.5 and on the moneyline (3/2) => Virginia Commonwealth 72-71 Florida State (after overtime)

March 27

Bet VCU +11.5 and on the moneyline (7/1) => Virginia Commonwealth 71-61 Kansas

of course the run ended on April 2 with

Bet VCU +2.5 and on the moneyline (13/10) =>Virginia Commonwealth 62-70 Butler

One shining moment, indeed

Â