Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Chelseas made a late bid Monday of 30million and Benayoun and Levy asked for Drogba instead which tells me he might have sold in end.

I like Modric really rate him and is Spuds best player just he is just not as flamboyant as Bale or VDV so media dont gush over him that much. I think he is a Fergie type player and he will get him for 20 million in January

I agree with all of that.

£40m is crazy money for a player who doesn't want to be there, it would have been the second highest transfer in British history. They could have turned around and spent that on 3 very good players though perhaps the offer came too late to reinvest.

The £40 offer was apparenly made on Tuesday, I'd say that was plenty of time to reinvest. Are you seriously saying 'Arry doesn't have a list of players he wants to sign?

Even so, this has been going on for most of the summer. £20+ million or a player who doesn't want to be there? No brainer really isn't it?

The £40 offer was apparenly made on Tuesday, I'd say that was plenty of time to reinvest. Are you seriously saying 'Arry doesn't have a list of players he wants to sign?

To be fair, you cant even get a full tank of petrol for forty quid these days so I dont blame Spurs for turning it down.

No that can't be true GlastonSpur said it was "nailed on" that he would be at Spurs next season. :lol:

Yes, I did. And you were saying?

Not the way you envisioned it though eh?

Remember you bragging about how he would not want to leave and had no reason to leave.It was certainly a lot closer than you thought and you clearly sat up sweating until the deadline had passed so you could post that smug comment ....

Incorrect. I never said that. I simply said that his staying was "nailed on" - and the bottom line is that I was right, and all the sceptics on here were wrong.

I also said, some weeks ago, that Hutton was "very, very likely" to sign for Villa. Again the relayed information, none of which originates from me (as I have said many times before), was correct.

Instead of automatically seeking to snipe, some VTers might do better to take a more considered view.

No that can't be true GlastonSpur said it was "nailed on" that he would be at Spurs next season. :lol:

Yes, I did. And you were saying?

Kudos Glaston he stayed. Well done to Spurs.

It wasn't as clear cut as you thought it was though i bet and I still believe that you can't just say that he was nailed on to stay even though, in the end, he did. Unless you talked directly to Levy that is.

If it's true that Chelsea offered 40m pounds for him (I highly doubt it personally) do you think Levy was right in rejecting it?

I wonder why Spurs didn't go for Given. I mean why go for Friedel when there's someone better, (IMO) a tiny bit more expensive, and 5 years younger?

Not that I'm complaining.

I agree, nice to see a club stand up for itself. He was happy to sign the long term contract with extra earnings, so he should show some honour. If you keep letting players bully you into leaving, then you are setting a precedence and you can expect it to keep happening.

Exactly so. And this, in addition to Modric being our best player, was the key reason why Levy refused to sell; to crush so-called "player power" at Spurs and put at end to the cycle that began with Carrick and continued through Berbatov and Keane. Otherwise, it might have continued into the future through Bale, Sandro, Walker and who knows who else.

The longer-term benefits are immense. No more will any Spurs player on a long contract believe that they can just leave whenever they want, and wealthy clubs will think twice about wasting their summer in pursuit of such Spurs players if Levy says "not for sale".

IF Spurs choose to sell Modric next summer, then we'll still get a big price for him. Turning down 30m + Alex for Modric is worth it for what Levy has achieved: hats off off to him.

... It wasn't as clear cut as you thought it was though i bet and I still believe that you can't just say that he was nailed on to stay even though, in the end, he did. Unless you talked directly to Levy that is.

If it's true that Chelsea offered 40m pounds for him (I highly doubt it personally) do you think Levy was right in rejecting it?

It was clear from Levy's public statement that Modric would not be sold: never before has he drawn such a strong, line-in-the-sand.

When coupled with the fact that we weren't desperate for money (when the latest annual accounts are published this Autumn they will show our highest ever income by quite some margin), plus Modric's long contract, plus info. from one or two of the best Spurs ITKs (feel free to be sceptical, but in my experience they are usually right), I never had any doubt that Modric would be staying come hell or high water. That's why I said "nailed on".

Those who believed that Levy would sell our best player just 1 year into a 6 year contract - and to Chelski ffs - were total mugs. It was never going to happen.

Chelski wasted their summer in pursuit of the unnattainable. And the price they paid for their stupidity and arrogance is a last-minute panic buy, Meireles, who I doubt was even Plan C, let alone Plan B.

I believe the last-minute bid was not 40m, but 30m + Alex. And yes, I think Levy was right to reject it, for the reasons I've given in an above post.

IF Spurs choose to sell Modric next summer, then we'll still get a big price for him. Turning down 30m + Alex for Modric is worth it for what Levy has achieved: hats off off to him.

He has disillusioned your best player who wont be as effectivve as last season adn wont get 20 million for him in January if he has a shocker and Man Utd come in

... He has disillusioned your best player who wont be as effectivve as last season adn wont get 20 million for him in January if he has a shocker and Man Utd come in

Wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Besides, Spurs won't sell him in January, and even if they did that's when prices tend to be higher than in the summer ... for obvious reasons.

The bottom line is Tottenham now have a player who doesn't want to be there and have missed the chance to sell a player for much more than he is worth.

This. I do admire you lot keeping him though, shows ambition...only thing is I'd say he'll be less effective now and dis-heartened for a while.

Chelski wasted their summer in pursuit of the unnattainable. And the price they paid for their stupidity and arrogance is a last-minute panic buy, Meireles, who I doubt was even Plan C, let alone Plan B.

The price they paid? They picked up a quality player for a relatively cheap amount of money, rather than paying £40m for someone who is worth half of that.

It's impossible to say whether Spurs will get another big money offer for Modric or not. His performances this season suggest he doesn't want to be there and will just continue to play this way until he gets his move, so he'll be of no use to Spurs. This will also lower the price of the player. if Spurs want to keep him, playing poorly, to prove a point then that's their choice and maybe Levy isn't such a good businessman after all.

I wonder why Spurs didn't go for Given. I mean why go for Friedel when there's someone better, (IMO) a tiny bit more expensive, and 5 years younger?

Not that I'm complaining.

Shay's family are settled in Manchester and Birmingham is commutable from his home. Manchester to London couldn't be done every day.

Â