Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

Aren't you going to offer him double or quits Glaston on you getting 4th? :D

Well, OK ... if he wishes to do that, assuming that 'quits' means I pay nothing if I lose the further bet.

It's not that I'm super confident of Spurs finishing 4th - getting a result away to City is going to be tough. But we stand a decent chance.

I'll await to hear further from Jod1 before kick-off on Wed. night if he wishes to take up the option.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jod1 has made 200 posts in five years. Dont hold your breath!

I've sent him a PM re. the double or quits offer, so it's up to him to respond or not .... bearing in mind that originally he wanted the bet to be about permanently quitting the VT forum.

Jod1 has made 200 posts in five years. Dont hold your breath!

I've sent him a PM re. the double or quits offer, so it's up to him to respond or not .... bearing in mind that originally he wanted the bet to be about permanently quitting the VT forum.

Like I said, 200 posts in 5 years. It might be August before he checks VT again!

Congrats Glaston.

Credit where it is due, two great performances against Arsenal and Chelsea swung it for you guys!

I'll pay the £50 to the Spurs charity on Tuesday.

I can't believe so many Villa fans want City to qualify; it would be an absolute disgrace to football if they should secure it this season with their fast-track, unscrupulous approach to the game.

I can't believe so many Villa fans want City to qualify; it would be an absolute disgrace to football if they should secure it this season with their fast-track, unscrupulous approach to the game.

Agree totaly. Hope Spurs manage it.

yeah but it's Redknapp and we will have months of him telling us how he is the greatest manager ever

of the two evils I think I'll take City

As opposed to Spurs who haven't spent anything.

Spurs have spent an awful lot themselves and I can't want a team managed by that guy to have any success at all.

Furthermore, I feel it's better for us if City get 4th. They will spend tonnes regardless and Spurs could attrac some nice players if they get CL football too.

Spurs have spent an awful lot themselves and I can't want a team managed by that guy to have any success at all.

Furthermore, I feel it's better for us if City get 4th. They will spend tonnes regardless and Spurs could attrac some nice players if they get CL football too.

Except Spurs have spent money that Spurs have earned through income generated from within the club. They didn't have some stupidly rich man come in and throw £200m in transfer fees plus however many more millions those players earn in wages.

And the way I see it is if City don't get 4th this season, they may not get 4th next season. And if they don't get 4th next season, they might not get 4th the season after. And I don't think any billionaire business man is going to keep throwing away money on a team that doesn't earn any money and doesn't even win things.

Abramovich stuck around so long because Chelsea immediately became a huge force. City haven't had the same immediate impact, and the longer that it's postponed, the more likely the owners will get fed up and leave. Heh, they could even sell City and buy United instead.

Citeh are throwing around chump change as far as their owners are concerned.

They're more likely, IMO, to get bored after they win the CL a few times than they are to get bored before that. Furthermore, Citeh shaking up the established order to an extent that not even Chelsea have increases the likelihood of UEFA/FIFA reforming the way the game is organized to reduce the impact of money on the sport (which change will probably be a net benefit to Spurs and Villa, especially relative to the clubs who are where we want to be).

It may take Citeh blowing the sport's head off in order for people to admit that the sport is dead and needs to be resurrected in a better form. If that is the case, then I'll gladly cheer the Arabs on as they load the shotgun.

City make me feel 'meh' about football, they really do. They're so epically wealthy that success is inevitable. I can stomach the top sides spending massive money that they've earnt through the bent CL system. At least thats football money. What annoys me is some passionless middle eastern oligarch coming in and spending enough oil money to blow everyone out of the water. At the end of the day, Man City would be nothing without their owner.

And I have to disagree with Spurfect, I think Man City will simply spend their way to success, regardless of where they finish in the league. Even if they don't finish 4th, they'll have come very close. That will not doubt convince the top stars that with a little improvement they'll certainly finish 4th or better next season.

Sure, we've spent a bit of money ourselves. We've poached the best players from smaller teams. But we're working within a budget, we've planned for progressive and sustainable success on a scale that isn't beyond the means of our rivals. Our recent improvement has not been entirely due to net spend. Man City's has.

For the same reason, I really cannot stand Chelsea (although of late, they've not been quite so flash with the cash).

Spurs all the way for me. Lesser of 2 evils.

(I'm very bitter about losing to Man City- ****)

If you look at City's home record, we'll be lucky to get anything out of the game anyway, so I think they'll finish 4th. But I don't think that will have the terrible effect the likes of us, you and Everton thin it will, as I think Arsenal will be vulnerbale in the next couple of seasons. Wenger still has his reputation intact and is clearly a great manager, but he hasn't signed a truely world class player in 6 or 7 years. Untli about 2003 they had about 5 or 6 awesome players that could play in any team in the world. But most of those were French. But thesedays the French don't have the golden generation of players they had back then and the French markert is scouted by all the top sides, so Wenger no longer has his main advantage. If Fabregas leaves in the next year or 2, where will Wenger find his replacement? He used to sign world class players all the time, but now he seems to sign good players, but not of the standard of those he used to. I'd be shocked if there were players in France for him to recruite as good as the likes of Vieira, Petite, Pires, Anelka and Henry. And he can't inherit another Bergkamp or great back 4. As good a coach as he is, when you look back at how his brilliant sides of the 1996-2003 period were put together, it's hard to see him being able to do that again. In the same way he's not been able to replace Henry, Pires and Vieira, he will probably struggle to repalce Fabregas and then Arsenal don't look like such a strong top 4 side.

If you look at City's home record, we'll be lucky to get anything out of the game anyway, so I think they'll finish 4th. But I don't think that will have the terrible effect the likes of us, you and Everton thin it will, as I think Arsenal will be vulnerbale in the next couple of seasons. Wenger still has his reputation intact and is clearly a great manager, but he hasn't signed a truely world class player in 6 or 7 years. Untli about 2003 they had about 5 or 6 awesome players that could play in any team in the world. But most of those were French. But thesedays the French don't have the golden generation of players they had back then and the French markert is scouted by all the top sides, so Wenger no longer has his main advantage. If Fabregas leaves in the next year or 2, where will Wenger find his replacement? He used to sign world class players all the time, but now he seems to sign good players, but not of the standard of those he used to. I'd be shocked if there were players in France for him to recruite as good as the likes of Vieira, Petite, Pires, Anelka and Henry. And he can't inherit another Bergkamp or great back 4. As good a coach as he is, when you look back at how his brilliant sides of the 1996-2003 period were put together, it's hard to see him being able to do that again. In the same way he's not been able to replace Henry, Pires and Vieira, he will probably struggle to repalce Fabregas and then Arsenal don't look like such a strong top 4 side.

Yet they're clear in third with all indications that Wenger is going to spend like he hasn't for a long time.

Furthermore, I feel it's better for us if City get 4th. They will spend tonnes regardless and Spurs could attract some nice players if they get CL football too.

I understand what you're saying, but I would much prefer it if a team who have grown a squad with their own generated cash by organic transactions and reasonable management, than a team who are backed by a sugar daddy who would pay astronomical money for success.

I just don't agree with them fast-track ethics, as I believe, it damages the fairness and competition in football. Success in football should be something that is earned over time, not simply bought by cash and reckless management.

Â